• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't have Crat's action shots but here are my Somervilles:
14363696229_b3605fed4d.jpg
Actually on the fence about selling these since I plan to pick up some Shannons in dark oak. I'm trying to rationalize that the Shannons are a punch cap and it should be a lighter shade of brown so as to hold on to both boots. :) It doesn't help that I have a pair of cognac shell cordovan/pebble grain bal boots by AS in the same color scheme...
I say hold on to both for the time being. Depending on the shade of Doak you get, they could be quite close in color to the boots pictured, or they could be considerably lighter.

yeknal

Reaction score
Noob here with with a C&J sizing question. I'm looking to order the 348 or 337 last. I tried the 337 on at Ben Silver and a 11.5 US fit perfectly (the sales associate told me they are sized in US sizes for Ben Silver). Would a 10.5 UK be the best bet for me? For reference I generally wear a 12 in AE.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Noob here with with a C&J sizing question. I'm looking to order the 348 or 337 last. I tried the 337 on at Ben Silver and a 11.5 US fit perfectly (the sales associate told me they are sized in US sizes for Ben Silver). Would a 10.5 UK be the best bet for me? For reference I generally wear a 12 in AE.

Opinions vary on how BS's US sizing corresponds to UK sizing. While I have never purchased a C&J pair from BS, I can tell you that the BS SA told me to get US9D (after I told him I am UK8.5E in C&J).

Nakedsnake

Reaction score
Wondering if you guys could give me some advice. I am thinking about picking up a pair of Coniston boots (these would be my first C&J's), and just have a few questions:

How does the grain leather hold up to solid wear and age? I am assuming fairly well, but just curious to hear from owners. I was originally looking at Alden shell cordovan cap to boots, but the coniston really has a great eye, and is luring me away from Alden.

Where is a good place to buy them? I am located in Canada, but could have something from the US shipped to an American mailbox and forwarded or picked up. Ordering over the border is tricky with customs, as duty is normally 40%. I have no idea what the going rate for these boots is, but saw they often go between $500-625 USD. Also, I am making a trip to Europe in January, so could hold out till then if its better to order them in Europe.

Lastly, not sure what to get for sizing. My brannock is between 12D and 12E ( 12D+? if that makes sense), and am planning on wearing them with wool socks. I have a pair of Burgundy shell AE dalton's in 12E that fit perfectly. Also, 12D in a pair of wolverine 1k's is a nice fit also (a little roomy). I believe all the conistons are made on the 325 last? I am thinking a 12UK would likely work. I haven't seen this boot offered in wide widths anyway.

Thanks in advance.

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wondering if you guys could give me some advice. I am thinking about picking up a pair of Coniston boots (these would be my first C&J's), and just have a few questions:

How does the grain leather hold up to solid wear and age? I am assuming fairly well, but just curious to hear from owners. I was originally looking at Alden shell cordovan cap to boots, but the coniston really has a great eye, and is luring me away from Alden. 

Where is a good place to buy them? I am located in Canada, but could have something from the US shipped to an American mailbox and forwarded or picked up.  Ordering over the border is tricky with customs, as duty is normally 40%. I have no idea what the going rate for these boots is, but saw they often go between $500-625 USD. Also, I am making a trip to Europe in January, so could hold out till then if its better to order them in Europe.

Lastly, not sure what to get for sizing. My brannock is between 12D and 12E ( 12D+? if that makes sense), and am planning on wearing them with wool socks. I have a pair of Burgundy shell AE dalton's in 12E that fit perfectly. Also, 12D in a pair of wolverine 1k's is a nice fit also (a little roomy). I believe all the conistons are made on the 325 last? I am thinking a 12UK would likely work. I haven't seen this boot offered in wide widths anyway.

Thanks in advance.

Try them on first. I have tried Conistons in grain leather and shell and the fit for me was never quite right.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads