• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

** Quintessential Crockett & Jones Thread ** (reviews, quality, etc...)

Denar78

Reaction score
For all those Islay-fanatics: There is a sale at armenak and they have the Islay in bicolor green scotch grain with snuff suede. Have a look here:
armenak Islay
Funky combination, must be hell of a challenge to pair them with any outfit 😅.
thanks for the link, I didn’t know this retailer 👍🏻

Chukka22

Reaction score
Question for anyone who has taken delivery of a shoe or boot in the milled calf - how robust are you finding it? Despite previously dismissing Chelsea boots, I am thinking about the black chelsea 5 (still have my size in stock), due to the non-smooth look and just wondering whether they are more prone to scuffs given that it is described as a supple leather.

Thanks in advance.

bemk

Reaction score
Question for anyone who has taken delivery of a shoe or boot in the milled calf - how robust are you finding it? Despite previously dismissing Chelsea boots, I am thinking about the black chelsea 5 (still have my size in stock), due to the non-smooth look and just wondering whether they are more prone to scuffs given that it is described as a supple leather.

Thanks in advance.

Have you read this? Crockett & Jones - What is Milled Calf?

The segment from that article that made me go for the leather is „has an extremely soft handle, whilst importantly retaining a good substance for shoemaking“.

My Milled Calf Coniston ( #29,500 , #29,516 ) arrived 2 days ago and I wore it the whole day yesterday, so I can only give you my initial impression, which as expected is that instantly noticeable softness when touching it by hand and wearing it on the feet.
It just felt like a well worn-in boot, but it didn't come across as weak or overly flexible, so don't expect it to go out of shape or crease more than my Scotch Grains or any other Calf leather. And I don't think it is more prone to scuffs.

I feel that this leather looks classy while delivering a slightly casual character, so I wouldn't pick it as a sleek dress-Chelsea to wear with suits, but happily with any other fine garment.
--

Scotch Grain today:

240104_23332_Crockett-Jones-Coniston-Dark-Brown-Scotch-Grain.jpg

- Crockett & Jones Coniston, Dark Brown Scotch Grain -

Last edited:

Denar78

Reaction score
Another rookie question and by no means I wish to piss off anybody here but why isn’t there any buzz on shell Harlech which looks splendid on the 341 last compared to, say, a Coniston on 325 Or 375 ?

Last edited:

Chukka22

Reaction score
Have you read this? Crockett & Jones - What is Milled Calf?

The segment from that article that made me go for the leather is „has an extremely soft handle, whilst importantly retaining a good substance for shoemaking“.

My Milled Calf Coniston ( #29,500 , #29,516 ) arrived 2 days ago and I wore it the whole day yesterday, so I can only give you my initial impression, which as expected is that instantly noticeable softness when touching it by hand and wearing it on the feet.
It just felt like a well worn-in boot, but it didn't come across as weak or overly flexible, so don't expect it to go out of shape or crease more than my Scotch Grains or any other Calf leather. And I don't think it is more prone to scuffs.

I feel that this leather looks classy while delivering a slightly casual character, so I wouldn't pick it as a sleek dress-Chelsea to wear with suits, but happily with any other fine garment.
--

Scotch Grain today:

View attachment 2103923
- Crockett & Jones Coniston, Dark Brown Scotch Grain -
Thanks, I did see the article, I was just wondering whether anyone had some real-life experience with this leather. Your Coniston look awesome BTW.

bemk

Reaction score
Thanks, I did see the article, I was just wondering whether anyone had some real-life experience with this leather. Your Coniston look awesome BTW.

Thank you! Chestnut Milled Calf is a rather new leather with C&J, so I presume long time experience will be sparse.

Probably @Gustaf can help, see this:

I have this leather - Chestnut soft grain is what I picked for my Snowdon MTO earlier this year:

View attachment 2099381

Doesn't look exactly like this in the stock photos on the website, but should be same judging by the description. It's an extremely soft and supple leather.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads