• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Question about a Brioni tie I saw today

Carlo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tdial - interesting. If you have access to a scanner or can get a closeup I'd love to see it better.

T4phage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All quotes originally posted by linux_pro:
Most of the 7-folds I've seen are ugly, with the exception of Chuck's. I'm not sure that the designers remember that these ties are generally meant to be worn with a suit as business attire.
I have seen many wonderful iterations of the seven fold, but maybe it is only a matter of taste and location? Marinellas, and Kiton amongst others. As for a tie being worn as 'business' attire, many tie wearers are not in the usual 'business' field, and thus have more liberty to play around with textures and patterns.

I have to add here that I think Talbott's 7-fold series are truly some of the ugliest designs I have seen (although a few are nice). Do they do this to try to show that these ties are exceptional? A poor way to accomplish that.
I on the other hand find some of Talbott's 7 folds quite exquiste, granted not an everyday tie, but colour, pattern, and execution are meticulous. Yes, many of their ties are too baroque or overly busy (such as watermarked wovens)... but the skill required to make the patterns is something to be marvelled. I would pick one of Talbott's 7 fold over most of the boring repps or neat prints any day.

linux_pro

Reaction score
(linux_pro @ Feb. 20 2005,15:12) Sounds as if this Brioni you described falls into a simliar category (although possibly an Ahmish used-car salesman?).
I grew up amongst the Amish, and never met one that sold cars.
Uhm... maybe used horse buggies? And did someone say there is a quilt museum? Is this true? Is it a sort of art gallery / quilt museum?

Stu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Stu @ Feb. 20 2005,19:02)
Originally Posted by linux_pro,Feb. 20 2005,15:12
Sounds as if this Brioni you described falls into a simliar category (although possibly an Ahmish used-car salesman?).
I grew up amongst the Amish, and never met one that sold cars.
Uhm... maybe used horse buggies? And did someone say there is a quilt museum? Â Is this true? Â Is it a sort of art gallery / quilt museum?
Actually I knew a few that sold used farm equipment. Funny story, last year they nabbed an Amish guy in Goshen, Indiana, for setting up a global scheme where he was somehow moving money around the world and ripping people off. What's funny is he was driving a Mercedes and a Porsche, both purchased with cash, and the AMISH DON'T DRIVE. Could the guy be just a bit more obvious. As for quilting, it indeed is a very fine art. My grandmother has done some fabulous quilts over the course of her life. Now she is 96 and her fingers are too arthritic to permit her to quilt anymore, but quilts are a wonderful indigenous American art, just like jazz, blues and bluegrass. Grandma and some other ladies once did a quilt with some kids from a nearby school that had the words 'We the People on it," as tribute to the 200th anniversary of the Constitution. The kids went to the White House and presented it to President and Mrs. Reagan. I think it is in the Reagan Library now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads