1. Welcome to the new Styleforum!

We hope you’re as excited as we are to hang out in the new place. There are more new features that we’ll announce in the near future, but for now we hope you’ll enjoy the new site.

We are currently fine-tuning the forum for your browsing pleasure, so bear with any lingering dust as we work to make Styleforum even more awesome than it was.

Oh, and don’t forget to head over to the Styleforum Journal, because we’re giving away two pairs of Carmina shoes to celebrate our move!

Please address any questions about using the new forum to support@styleforum.net

Cheers,

The Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice

Question about a Brioni tie I saw today

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tdial, Feb 20, 2005.

1. tdial

tdial Well-Known Member

My wife and I were walking in the mall today and stopped by Neiman's to check out the ties. As we were looking at the Brioni ties, we saw a strange looking quilt like patterned tie (to be truthful, I found it hideous) It was a very thick, four or seven fold (I think 4, though I didn't want to unfold it too much), and probably had 10 different colors. Retail price came in at a staggering $360.

Does anybody know what gives with this? I guess it's probably hand stitched, but it was really REALLY ugly.

2. Carlo

Carlo Well-Known Member

I've seen some very interesting ties from Brioni. Some that I liked and others that were outside my tastes. The most interesting was a pleated tie - very dressy somehow. I seem to recall it being around $300. Not sure if I would wear it but definately interesting - I guess I look at too many ties so something different fascinates me - any chance you can get a pic next time?

I do have a great deal of respect for Brioni's innovative ties and they use good silk.

3. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

A fool and his money are soon parted... [​IMG]

4. Carlo

Carlo Well-Known Member

Actually, Alan... I think it goes "A fool and his money are fun to go to Vegas with"

5. tdial

tdial Well-Known Member

Good idea. I'll take a pic with my camera phone next time I'm in there (maybe tomorrow at lunch) and post the pic here. I'll also take a picture of a tie that was made for me by a wonderful quiltmaker from a tiny quilting community in rural Alabama (Gee's Bend). It is one of the neatest pieces of clothing I own.

6. linux_pro

linux_pro Well-Known Member

Most of the 7-folds I've seen are ugly, with the exception of Chuck's. I'm not sure that the designers remember that these ties are generally meant to be worn with a suit as business attire.

I've really seen some awful stuff lately - horrid pastel paislies, rainbow-like multi-colored bizarre prints, and some truly offensive things from Zegna (what prevents them from designing an attractive necktie?). I asked one sales person yesterday if they sell much of those ties, and he said the most popular are the obvious: repp ties, more subtle prints, and generally ties with 2-3 or less colors (unless done tastefully). Makes sense to me.

I have to add here that I think Talbott's 7-fold series are truly some of the ugliest designs I have seen (although a few are nice). Do they do this to try to show that these ties are exceptional? A poor way to accomplish that. Some of my most elegant ties are from "lower quality" makers - Brooks Bro's, City of London, Michael Kors, Ike Behar, etc. Of course, one of my most cherished is a 1940's vintage Countess Mara (picked up for $5 at an estate sale - those heathens). Very bold, very simple, and very elegant.

I've had people compliment the cheapest ties, and been asked to remove a Talbott 7-fold before a meeting (my boss's exact words: "Where the f**k did you find that piece of sh*t around your neck? Go put on something appropriate, we have an important meeting in less than 10 minutes."). Thank god, I have a gold Ike Behar in my desk for just such occassions. IMHO, most of the Talbott 7-fold series look as if they belong in the wardrobe of a used-car salesman, along with some polyester pant suits and platform shoes. Sounds as if this Brioni you described falls into a simliar category (although possibly an Ahmish used-car salesman?).

7. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Well-Known Member

Yes, it's Santostefano's patch-work quilted tie. Not very crazy about them personally (and certainly not worth the retail price imo)

koji

8. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

That's why they only make 40 of each... [​IMG]

9. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

Please do. I'd really like to see it. Do you wear it?

AlanC
    (lives in Alabama and has a sister who quilts)

10. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Well-Known Member

I think you meant a Menonite used-car salesman.

11. tdial

tdial Well-Known Member

(tdial @ Feb. 20 2005,17:00) I'll also take a picture of a tie that was made for me by a wonderful quiltmaker from a tiny quilting community in rural Alabama (Gee's Bend). It is one of the neatest pieces of clothing I own.
    Please do. I'd really like to see it. Do you wear it? AlanC (lives in Alabama and has a sister who quilts)
    I've worn it a couple of times at museum exhibition openings. It's more of a festive tie. I can actually take a picture of this one tonight and post in on here. Will do so in a bit.

12. tdial

tdial Well-Known Member

Well, I just decided to go take some pictures of the tie. Here are two, and I apologize for the amateurish photos--yet another reason why I can't post pics of apparel on here. First picture is of the front of the tie. Worn with the right suit and plain colored shirt (I've only worn it with a black pinstriped suit and solid white shirt), it looks gorgeous. [​IMG] And like quilts, the back is as interesting and beautiful as the front: [​IMG]

13. hopkins_student

hopkins_student Well-Known Member

Well, it isn't anything that I'd wear; consistency is big to me. If you like it, I'm sure it looks fine, more power to you.

14. tdial

tdial Well-Known Member

It is a special use tie, for sure. I guess it's also neat knowing the woman who hand made it also has quilts hanging in museums.

15. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

Tdial, very cool and unique piece.

A.

16. Carlo

Carlo Well-Known Member

Tdial - interesting. If you have access to a scanner or can get a closeup I'd love to see it better.

17. AlanC

AlanC Well-Known Member

tdial, is it silk?

18. tdial

tdial Well-Known Member

It is indeed silk, which posed some problems for the artist, since silk was really hard for her to sew by hand.

19. Stu

Stu Well-Known Member

I grew up amongst the Amish, and never met one that sold cars.

20. T4phage

T4phage Well-Known Member

All quotes originally posted by linux_pro:
    I have seen many wonderful iterations of the seven fold, but maybe it is only a matter of taste and location? Marinellas, and Kiton amongst others. As for a tie being worn as 'business' attire, many tie wearers are not in the usual 'business' field, and thus have more liberty to play around with textures and patterns.

I on the other hand find some of Talbott's 7 folds quite exquiste, granted not an everyday tie, but colour, pattern, and execution are meticulous. Yes, many of their ties are too baroque or overly busy (such as watermarked wovens)... but the skill required to make the patterns is something to be marvelled. I would pick one of Talbott's 7 fold over most of the boring repps or neat prints any day.