• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Puffy Shirt in the Lower Back

americanninja

Reaction score
I'm looking for advice on what I can ask the tailor to do, to get rid of this puffiness in the lower back area of my tailored shirts.

I've read that you should have roughly 1-3 inches of pinched fabric to allow for a comfortable fit. I hate nothing more than having a restricted feeling, or a shirt that fits skin tight, to where you can see the imperfections of the body (i.e. a gut sticking out or buttons pulling when you are in a seated position).

I will include some photos of my shirt below. I roughly have about 1.5inch (4cm) of pinched fabric in the lower back area (you can see in the photo). I feel that I need this, as when I sit down my body shifts with my stomach pulling the spare fabric to the front. So I don't know if I can have what I am looking for, but I figure I will ask for some advice from the experts here.

One more thing to add. The shirt does look okay when I first tuck it into my pants. However, once i move my arms around to reach for something, or after 5 minutes or so, it pulls out and balloons, like what can be seen in the photos below.

Thank you in advance!

IMG_1250.jpg

IMG_1251.jpg

IMG_1252.jpg

IMG_1113.jpg

IMG_1068.jpg

IMG_1120.jpg

americanninja

Reaction score
Your local tailor can add rear darts for about $15. That ought to help.

Thanks for the quick response! I was thinking that too, but I think because I have double pleats, adding darts would look bad right? I have not seen a shirt with both. And I think I need the double pleats, as I tried having my shirts without them and it would be too restrictive and uncomfortable. Once I added the double pleats in, they fit much more comfortable. So I kind of need to stick with the pleats. I have a pretty significant drop between my chest/shoulders and my waist. I guess this is why. Chest body measurement is 101cm and my waist measurement is 86cm.

TOstyle

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response! I was thinking that too, but I think because I have double pleats, adding darts would look bad right? I have not seen a shirt with both. And I think I need the double pleats, as I tried having my shirts without them and it would be too restrictive and uncomfortable. Once I added the double pleats in, they fit much more comfortable. So I kind of need to stick with the pleats. I have a pretty significant drop between my chest/shoulders and my waist. I guess this is why. Chest body measurement is 101cm and my waist measurement is 86cm.

Wouldn't be ideal, but it would look better than it does now.

Maccimus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Making it tighter wouldn't help if you keep wearing low/medium rise pants/jeans.

americanninja

Reaction score
Making it tighter wouldn't help if you keep wearing low/medium rise pants/jeans.

This is very interesting. I had not thought of that. The reason for those low/medium rise pants, is because that's how most of the "off the rack" suit pants, are made these days. I guess I've gotten used to them, that I had the tailor copy the fit during the fittings. So if I were to have the pants made to wear higher, this issue would go away? Can you elaborate on why?

Thanks in advance!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member