• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cutaway. I've liked what I've seen of the Soft Spread, but part of me is nervous it might be a touch too point-collarish.

Thanks again. For my shirt remake I actually switched to the cutaway from the spread, for the same exact reason.

cp3

Reaction score
On the new features front, for folks interested in Tailored Clothing, we recently rolled out the ability to customize the design of your Suit, Jackets and Pants. See the new "CUSTOMIZE" button on the TC product pages. Options are still relatively limited, but expect more to come. Example here: https://propercloth.com/tailored-clothing/bedford-grey-linen-and-wool-hopsack-jacket-182.html
New program looks good.

Would definitely be a buyer if you could specify lapel width/belly and sleeve buttons for jackets. For pants, would like to see an extended waistband option (with increased height of the band as well). Have my eye on those beige cotton/linen pants with side-tabs for a summer wedding but no extended waistband is a dealbreaker.

Nice that you added side tabs and 3 roll 2 option.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone go from Spier & Mackay to Proper Cloth?

Are there any measurements to change? How open is PC to changing button point, band height, spread etc.

Can you request washing and drying before cutting?

I still have no idea what measurements to input to get a comfortable, slim fit on a shirt that I will wear untucked and tucked. 36" chest, 37" hips, 29" waist at narrowest point, 32" waist at widest point.

Thilgela

Reaction score
Anyone go from Spier & Mackay to Proper Cloth?

Are there any measurements to change? How open is PC to changing button point, band height, spread etc.

Can you request washing and drying before cutting?

I still have no idea what measurements to input to get a comfortable, slim fit on a shirt that I will wear untucked and tucked. 36" chest, 37" hips, 29" waist at narrowest point, 32" waist at widest point.

I used the same measurements for PC & S&M except for the cuff measurement. PC cuff measurement is button to buttonhole but S&M is edge to edge.

The results have been pretty good.

PC adds a good amount of additional fabric for shrinkage. So you should be fine with shrinkage.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks again. For my shirt remake I actually switched to the cutaway from the spread, for the same exact reason.
Here’s a with tie look of the linen blend soft cutaway, also sans ironing. Clean enough to look (pardon the pun) proper, especially if you’re actually ironing it up.

90E5FBE6-DC61-431A-96B8-97631DC608EC.jpeg

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My remake will be here Friday along with another shirt. We shall see the results...

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My remake will be here Friday along with another shirt. We shall see the results...
Fingers crossed for you. If you’re like me they’ll fit better than any off-the-rack shirt. But by the time you’re ready to buy another shirt you’ll have noticed something you can tweak to make it even better.

AGlorifiedCrew

Reaction score
Has anyone tried Regular armpit vs Tailored, I’ve done numerous tweaks on multiple shirts, but after the 4th cold wash and hang dry the back/armpit area is incredibly tight when reaching forward.

Wonder if tailored armpit is cut too high, especially with broad shoulders/lats. Thoughts?

counselor

Reaction score
Just chiming in to say PC nailed the measurements on the first PC shirt I ordered. I did have it remade because I grossly underestimated how narrow a single pleat sleeve would be, but the turnaround was very fast. I'll be ordering more.

Also, with regard to the new customize feature for jackets...

If you’re not happy with the fit of your jacket you can either return it to us for a complimentary remake in a new size, or have your local tailor make alterations.

That's impressive.

patliean1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For the price, website navigation, detailed fabrics, consistent turn around times, and A+ customer service I'd gladly compromise with the limitations of PC's fit algorithms/patterns. For the record, I have a 40.5" chest and a 31" waist. I probably fall just outside of their typical or ideal build.

Both my replacement and 2nd shirt orders just arrived using the modified measurements from PC's suggestions. The fit is far better than my initial shirt, and I really applaud PC's support team for discerning most of the fit issues from just my photo submissions. Will certainly be ordering from them again very soon.

While the fit is far from perfect, I completely understand PC's decision to limit their customization and algorithms in order to keep up with their 2 week turn around times and keep production costs low. What I'd like to see in the future are more options for taller collars, sleeve pitch adjustments, and accounting for a dropped shoulder.

DEE1970

Reaction score
On the new features front, for folks interested in Tailored Clothing, we recently rolled out the ability to customize the design of your Suit, Jackets and Pants. See the new "CUSTOMIZE" button on the TC product pages. Options are still relatively limited, but expect more to come. Example here: https://propercloth.com/tailored-clothing/bedford-grey-linen-and-wool-hopsack-jacket-182.html

Hi Seph, I'm a UK based PC customer (20+ shirts so far). I would like to try your tailored clothing, but at the moment you don't send tailoring fabric samples. It seems strange to offer fabric samples for a $150 shirt, but not for a $600 jacket? I can't just 'pop in' to your NY store to see the jacket - it's over 3,000 miles away! I've tried getting samples from your customer service team with no luck. You should sort this out - you'll sell more stuff!

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi Seph, I'm a UK based PC customer (20+ shirts so far). I would like to try your tailored clothing, but at the moment you don't send tailoring fabric samples. It seems strange to offer fabric samples for a $150 shirt, but not for a $600 jacket? I can't just 'pop in' to your NY store to see the jacket - it's over 3,000 miles away! I've tried getting samples from your customer service team with no luck. You should sort this out - you'll sell more stuff!

Thanks for the suggestion! I like this idea - though we have quite a few projects going on at the moment and I'm not sure when we'll be able to set this up.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zappa