• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
Good question. Yes, there is a systematic way of doing it - and it's all based on the fabric selected. Hem stitch style has nothing to do with the collar style chosen, so don't worry about that. I have always associated the really tight hem stitch with high quality dress shirts, so I haven't wanted to abandon it completely - but for many untucked casual shirt styles it can roll up, so we started to switch to the larger 5/16" stitch style for more casual fabrics. Looks like all of our TM oxfords have been assigned the standard hem - but we will revisit that decision based on your comment. All the TM Flannels are set to 5/16", so you should be fine to order one of those.

I want to follow up on this, is there any way we might be able to get an indication which stitch style to expect for each fabric? Some are obvious but others less so.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
are you able to source this fabric, or anything similar? It's Thomas Mason but may be exclusive to Brooks Brothers. They probably have others that are in the same vein.

ME04542_IVORY-MULTI_3.jpg

stubbsj20

Reaction score
@Seph For shirt measurements (i.e., for chest, midsection, opening), should I continue to use the directions highlighted in these videos: How to Measure a Shirt, or should measurements now be taken seam to seam? I am asking as I recently inquired about some measurement discrepancies (the issue has been resolved) and was told that measurements are taken seam to seam. I just want to make sure I adjust as necessary to get my desired result with future orders.

Last edited:

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@Seph For shirt measurements (i.e., for chest, midsection, opening), should I continue to use the directions highlighted in these videos: How to Measure a Shirt, or should measurements now be taken seam to seam? I am asking as I recently inquired about some measurement discrepancies (the issue has been resolved) and was told that measurements are taken seam to seam. I just want to make sure I adjust as necessary to get my desired result with future orders.
Seam to seam is not correct. Videos should be followed.

ksinc

Reaction score
My order suddenly showed today. Even with the nice packaging the suit is a wrinkled mess. I need to fix and then will do some fit pics. I think it’s close, but the shape/cut is too hour-glassy. Why can’t anyone taper from the shoulders to the waist consistently?

star656

Reaction score
Does PC have ability to adjust button stance (ie. location) and collar size on the jacket orders?

Any ability for PC to adjust sleeve pitch on jackets?

I am long time shirt buyer from PC considering a jacket purchase. I have a smaller collar than is typical for shoulder/chest fit and short torso (and hate having too high of a buttoning point).

tilesomoole

Reaction score
I placed a trial order (only my 3rd PC order) but did not see the option to remove shrinkage allowances during the ordering process. I emailed CS right after placing the order so I should be ok I would think.

I'm really interested to see how it turns out.

In case anyone's interested this test shirt came back in good time. The CS team was great and got the shrinkage allowances removed before the shirt was made. Once it arrived, the measurements were spot-on except for the collar around and cuff around. They still had significant allowances added. I can live with that and tweak them for future orders.

For a potential throw-away trial shirt the blue herringbone Teton flannel is quite a nice fabric. It fits great and I'll actually be wearing it, so I'd recommend it as an excellent value.

star656

Reaction score
In case anyone's interested this test shirt came back in good time. The CS team was great and got the shrinkage allowances removed before the shirt was made. Once it arrived, the measurements were spot-on except for the collar around and cuff around. They still had significant allowances added. I can live with that and tweak them for future orders.

For a potential throw-away trial shirt the blue herringbone Teton flannel is quite a nice fabric. It fits great and I'll actually be wearing it, so I'd recommend it as an excellent value.
Agree with the Teton as well. Great shirt.

I have noticed on my most recent order (only one with the 'garment dimensions' listed on my order) the cuffs and collar feel much larger than previous orders (tenths of inches make big differences here) and do not shrink appropriately. These appear to be standard 'shrinkage' adjustments. Comparing all of these against older PC shirts and Ratio clothing shirts. Unfortunately I am very near an extreme on cuff size so the smallest changes make a big difference and I am unable to adjust via ordered size.

Additionally, I have been forced to iron out the intense crease on the cuffs on most new orders (last year or two). This forces the cuff to 'full' size so to speak... Not sure why the shirts come with this (some cleaners like to flatten the cuff - same issue), but I tend to home wash and iron.

I know I ran wash #2 in warm instead of typical cold. I will try another warm wash and see if that improves things, but this is very frustrating to have measurements essentially changed...

Last edited:

tilesomoole

Reaction score
Unfortunately I am very near an extreme on cuff size so the smallest changes make a big difference and I am unable to adjust via ordered size.

- wash in cold water and hang dry. You'll get near zero shrinkage.

- If you're talking about tiny cuff measurements that make a huge difference to you, just move the button.

StanleyVanBuren

Thumb Raider
Reaction score
"Set Includes 10 Regular Sized Buttons and 2 Small Buttons. One set contains enough buttons to fully replace the buttons on a single shirt"

Is there some way to order replacement buttons in sufficient quantity for a button-down collar? Would need an additional 2 small buttons, or an additional 3 for the Colorado collar.

Seph

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
"Set Includes 10 Regular Sized Buttons and 2 Small Buttons. One set contains enough buttons to fully replace the buttons on a single shirt"

Is there some way to order replacement buttons in sufficient quantity for a button-down collar? Would need an additional 2 small buttons, or an additional 3 for the Colorado collar.

Message support.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads