• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

shirtsnob

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Eric.

PC has been good about it as usual....they always try to make a customer happy..

To elaborate, visualize the pointy end of the stay breaking thru the cloth., breaking thru the channel it sits in...whereby the point of the stay tears the fabric

The metal stays that they supply are very unforgiving., and add to that an open weave shirt...its a bad combo.

It would be so inexpensive for them to supply a set of nice flexible plastic stays....and maybe even less pointy ends..

I suggested the same..........lets see!

Last edited:

kwv07

Reaction score
I would actually suggest a twill over broadcloth or RO. Twill will be most opaque and drape the best. The shine of a twill will help it look whiter and photograph better. If you want under $100, then Hudson. Best value overall, then Greenwich Twill ($140). Best of the best of the best, go DJA Sea Island Royal Twill.

If you want to do broadcloth, our Miles, Stanton, and TM Broadcloths are all great. TM will hold up best over time, but handfeel is very similar for all three.
We actually updated the construction of our President Spread, English Spread, and Londoner collars to use a special (stiffer) style of interlining in the collar band. The leaf remains pliable. Response has generally been since we implemented. Semi Spread, Straight Point, and President Cutaway are all getting the same update in the next week.

Chris

@ccallis would you recommend the twill even if I am doing the pleated front?

ny3pcg

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking to pickup a few more shirts primarily to be worn with a suit and tie at work, and sometimes to be worn without a tie and just a sportcoat. I'm a bigger guy so I tend to wear larger collars and already have one Roma spread and a few Roma cutaways. Looking at the pics below, do you think the Roma cutaway is work appropriate? I work in law enforcement so my line of work is kind of on the conservative side, but not a strict dress code. The first two pics are the Roma cutaway And the last pic is the Roma spread.
[/IMG][/IMG]

ny3pcg

Reaction score

Hi all, I'm looking to pickup a few more shirts primarily to be worn with a suit and tie at work, and sometimes to be worn without a tie and just a sportcoat. I'm a bigger guy so I tend to wear larger collars and already have one Roma spread and a few Roma cutaways. Looking at the pics below, do you think the Roma cutaway is work appropriate? I work in law enforcement so my line of work is kind of on the conservative side, but not a strict dress code. The first two pics are the Roma cutaway And the last pic is the Roma spread.
[/IMG][/IMG]

WillingToLearn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just received a Roma cutaway purchased on the black friday, free shipping for one shirt deal. Nice marketing, i wouldn't have bothered to get a shirt without the free shipping. While i wouldn't bet my life on it, it feels like (pre-wash, so that is why I am hedging), they have stiffened the collar band as I and others have been requesting. Now all there is to do is stiffen the cuff just a touch.

And add more mid-level fabrics. Lots of nice choices at the ~$100 level, but then it gets a little thin from known mills in the $140-175 range, then a big jump up to the top of the line stuff at ~$250.

Last edited:

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah - I took advantage of this- $20 for shipping 1-2 shirts (if under $200) just isnt worth it.
Is it now $20? Was $15 (I believe) when I placed my last order.

As a side, I'm close to having to bail on PC. Is the difference between a 2 pleat and 3 pleat forearm THAT drastic, to the point that forearm tightness is rendered relatively moot?

I've increased the upper arm, but, as some may note, that only marginally adjusts the forearm area. I can't really justify increasing the upper arm more (I don't intend to feature in any upcoming Mr. Olympias lol), and the forearm issue is maddening.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am one that noted a forearm issue, but have resolved my issue with 1/4 to 1/2 inch added sleeve length. I am long and narrow though.
I am most certainly NOT long and narrow haha, but that's an interesting thought. I don't imagine this would be terribly problematic.

Though, what I really ought to do is schedule a time to swing by PC next time I'm in NYC...instead of trying to make piecemeal adjustments, given my altogether lacking knowledge of what goes into the fit in its entirety.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads