• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post your photography skills! (self-gloss)

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A potter making pottery.

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A Y, I like the last example you posted a lot. Also, the shot of the tree in the vineyard on your Flickr is perfect.
As for the underpass in your shots, is that Santa Barbara, by any chance?

Five recent shots that I like:

I picked up a Tamron SP 90mm 2.5 macro for both macro and portraiture, I am excited to use it this weekend. I also recently acquired a Canon FD 50mm 1.4 SSC and it is awesome (save for the fact it focuses in the opposite direction versus all the other lenses I own [excepting the Tamron]).

Last edited:

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Great.

(Just needs a tiny little rotation :))

Haha, that's what I get for using Upright. It was actually level before I corrected it in Lightroom. I have replaced it. Thanks! :embar:

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A Y, I like the last example you posted a lot. Also, the shot of the tree in the vineyard on your Flickr is perfect.
As for the underpass in your shots, is that Santa Barbara, by any chance?

Thank you! Yes, it's Santa Barbara, where State Street passes under the 101 freeway. Good eye! Have you visited the area? The tree is at Firestone Vineyard, right outside their tasting room.

I was at Mammoth this weekend, and the snow was flying sideways! The Olympus E-M1 certainly lived up to its weatherproof spec: the camera was encrusted with frost, and just kept on going.

They shut the gondola down, so we had to take a snowcat down the mountain:

Another Saul Leiter wannabe photo:

Last edited:

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
CDFS, gorgeous!

GregV, awesome lighting on the set of shots you posted.

Thank you! Yes, it's Santa Barbara, where State Street passes under the 101 freeway. Good eye! Have you visited the area? The tree is at Firestone Vineyard, right outside their tasting room.

I have only been there once, for some reason one of the photos just instantly reminded me of walking it.

I like the top photo from this weekend. Must've been pretty cool getting to take that up the mountain.

I had an awesome weekend, here is a shot I like:

Last edited:

GregV

Reaction score
GregV, awesome lighting on the set of shots you posted.

Thank you, to be honest I am better with photoshop than I am with photography
wink.gif

You've got a lot of cool stuff on your flickr page, light and colors in this one stuck out. Hope you don't mind, but I was tempted to edit something other than a car for once.

Gravitas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks! I definitely like your edit better than mine. It was just a spontaneous shot and admittedly, not a very good one at that.

I received my Pixma Pro-100 printer about a week-and-a-half ago, and I must say, the results are quite humbling. It turns out that I use my monitor on too high of a brightness when editing, resulting in a lot of underexposed shots. I will be picking up a color calibration device in the near future. Thankfully, the colors at least seem to be what I had envisioned, and the quality is stunning.

I am not sure what DPI drugstores use, but I have never gotten as much detail in a store (I have never used a pro lab). The printer maxes out at 4800x2400 DPI, though the highest I have specified is 600 (and I am just leaving it to the printer, now). So far I have only used Canon papers (Luster and Photo Paper Plus Glossy II), though my Red River sampler arrived yesterday (I am just having trouble getting the ICC profiles to show up). All-in-all, it is totally worth the $100 (after rebate) that it cost me (including a 50 pack of 13x19 Semi-Gloss). I will also be testing out an ink refill kit (I have heard good things about Precision Colors) once I run a bit lower. Maybe a few 13x19s will help with that...

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gents - looking for some thoughts on tripods.

Looking to invest in a versatile unit that could work for travel.

I'm considering the Brian model from 3 Legged Thing.

http://www.3leggedthing.com/brianevo2.html

Any thoughts? Suggestions?

Last edited:

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crepuscular rays. Love 'em.

Trini, that looks like a helluva tripod. I'm trying to find something similar but I need something with a self leveling center column for fast setups on lousy terrain.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you're in the US, consider the Really Right Stuff TQC-14. The Gitzo GT1542T with an Arca-Swiss P0 head also works great.

I use RRS plates and clamps on a P0 with Gitzo 1227 legs and Markins hub. It's okay, and kind of lives in the no man's land between portability and steadiness but I've had bits and pieces of my tripod for almost 20 years now, and made do with it. If I did it again, I'd get one of the two pods above and a much beefier main tripod, probably an RRS TVC-34L.

Last edited:

borbor

Reaction score
A few from my trip visiting family in asia a few months ago. I usually don't do any landscape / street snaps, but I have to admit, it was pretty fun.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 45 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads