• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post your photography skills! (self-gloss)

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^
Nice contrasty bear.

Smokin'

smokingw.jpg

il ciclista

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like how the smoke blends in with the clouds and the buildings just silhouettes. That's a lot of smoke, and they're still using small short pipes so it's all in the air you breathe (versus sending it to your neighboring areas)

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I like how the smoke blends in with the clouds and the buildings just silhouettes. That's a lot of smoke, and they're still using small short pipes so it's all in the air you breathe (versus sending it to your neighboring areas)

Thanks. I think it's steam for the most part.

Kas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
il ciclista: the change from light the light purple wrapper to the darker one is a fun touch.

NOBD: nice shot, this is definitely one that warrants a panorama.

The nice people at the British Museum allowed me to bring a tripod (1,5 week of e-mailing to get a permit if you want to go there with a tripod as well) so I could redo one of my previous shots, plus a few more:

British Museum II v2 by npmeijer, on Flickr

British Museum III by npmeijer, on Flickr

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Absolutely love the second one, the sharpness brings out stunning details! Great atmosphere by including the view into the museum and not only the clay warrior.

I've tested the EF 28mm f/1.8 USM and the EF 35mm f/1.4 L USM. Damn, the 28mm is nice but too wide. The 35L is unfortunately really great. Now I'll try to find a place close where I can rent the 50L. Will be a decision between 35L and 50L then.

I'm also prepared for the winter, btw.

Last edited:

Krp480

Reaction score

Absolutely love the second one, the sharpness brings out stunning details! Great atmosphere by including the view into the museum and not only the clay warrior.
I've tested the EF 28mm f/1.8 USM and the EF 35mm f/1.4 L USM. Damn, the 28mm is nice but too wide. The 35L is unfortunately really great. Now I'll try to find a place close where I can rent the 50L. Will be a decision between 35L and 50L then.

Well.. if you are deciding on a regular Canon lens vs. an L lens - the clear winner will be an L lens. I haven't ever used the 35L, but the 50L is a much more 'bokeh' lens, while the 35L can distinctly seperate background from the subject. The 50L does not have as fast AF, but I truly believe if used on a FF body you will have spectacular results and if you get a 50 that doesn't have any focusing issues as well as it is a sharp copy you will never want to sell it. The 35L is still - amazing nonetheless. But they are coming out with a new and improved 35L II sometime this up and coming year. Otherwise I would wait to get the 35L.

Comparing the 50L vs. 85L ironically the same test subject :lol:

85L

50L

Although the 50L is sharper here it was stopped down to f/1.6 while the 85L is wide open. The 85Ls shot is not in focus as the subject was in fact, moving, so she was a little behind where the actual focus was. Otherwise for me the 85L wins in sharpness wide open. Bokeh-wise it is much better. The 85L shot I was also a bit farther back as the 50 on a crop is more like an 85 and the 85 is more like a 135.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for you guys:

I currently use a Canon 50mm f/2.5 for shots of jewelry such as rings and earrings. I noticed that this lens is not suitable for larger items such as necklaces. Which Canon lens would you recommend for shots of necklaces and similarly sized items that won't break the bank?

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Question for you guys:
I currently use a Canon 50mm f/2.5 for shots of jewelry such as rings and earrings. I noticed that this lens is not suitable for larger items such as necklaces. Which Canon lens would you recommend for shots of necklaces and similarly sized items that won't break the bank?

Why do you think it's not suitable? If the necklace doesn't fit in the picture you can always back up a bit? I don't see what kind of improvement you think you'd get with a different lens.

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Why do you think it's not suitable? If the necklace doesn't fit in the picture you can always back up a bit? I don't see what kind of improvement you think you'd get with a different lens.

I have tried backing up so that it all fits in the frame, however, the results aren't great. As an aside, I was told by a photographer that a macro lens can sometimes alter the color.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads