• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post your photography skills! (self-gloss)

kraands

Reaction score
If you like shooting portraits and things at a longer focal length, get the 85 then. If you've got the coin the 85L is awesome, otherwise the f1.8 is just fine.

trader

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dcg
I personally haven't used either, but from what I've read the 15-85 does not give up much optically or in terms of build to the 17-55 (actually I've heard that the 15-85 is better built; maybe someone else can confirm). Since you seem to use the long end of the 17-85, I'd think the 15-85 would be a good bet, plus you'll gain the extra 2mm on the wide end (which is pretty substantial).

I have the 17-55 and I find it to be blah. The colors and contrast are nothing to write home about. But the constant 2.8 and IS are awesome. I use mine maybe once a month if the shoot calls for it. I'm planning to sell it just cause it's not getting use.

I think the 15-85 sounds just fine. I heard canon is coming out with a 15-60 2.8 or something along those lines to replace the 17-55. That'll be a great lens.

85 is one of my favorite FOVs on both a crop and full frame

evilgeniusdan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
some street stuff from a recent set called "wheels"
936d8722.jpg
d41bee1b.jpg
d24411c7.jpg
eb6aec4b.jpg
89545f8d.jpg

4mused

Reaction score
For portraits it depends on your personal definition of portrait. Is it head only? Bust and up? Full body? Do you want any or none of the background as part of your picture?

I made this mistake when I first started out. I asked around, and the general consensus was that the 85mm 1.4/1.8 would fit my needs. I was shooting on a D90 back then. My personal definition of portrait is up to full body, so you can imagine what a nightmare it was to shoot with a 85mm on a crop sensor. I'm not bashing the lens; the Nikon 85mm 1.4 is considered one of the best portrait lenses out of any brand, but it just didn't fit my style.

Also, it depends where you're shooting. If you're doing portraits in a building, keep in mind you can always get as close as you want to the model (within min focusing distance of the lens of course) but you can only back up so far within a building. Navigating around gear/wires is not fun, believe me.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I heartily endorse the Tokina 11-16 for anyone looking for wide angle on a crop sensor camera.
I used it as my walk-around lens in Japan in Feb.

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the first one, il ciclista. Nice composition and "sharpness play".

NOBD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice one, il ciclista. How did you take the pic (lens, settings, postprocessing)?
Did you put the flower in the middle on purpose?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 97 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 33 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads