• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Post your photography skills! (self-gloss)

Biscotti

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welcome Netbull - Very nice Photos - any way you can introduce me to the models?

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well I can attest that the A77 is weather resistant. I went out in the pouring rain for a few hours just messing around. One of the first shots with the new camera.

Congrats on the new camera. Sony has always had interesting tech, but didn't always know how to properly use it.

Speaking of weather resistant, have you ever checked out the Pentax DSLRs? Here's two of them being rinsed off after getting some dirt dumped on them:

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Snoogz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow I just found this thread and love it. I wish I had something worthy to contribute photo wise but I'm still quite the noob at photo taking. I recently upgraded my P&S to a Nikon 5200. I love the camera and only use the 2 kit lenses they came with 18-55mm and the 55-300mm lens.

Any advice on what lenses to get / use with this camera? I take many photos for selling clothing on eBay. I don't know if I should use a different lens than the kit 18-55mm. Also, do you guys recommend any indoor external flash to use? I take horizontal and vertical pictures if that helps determine or narrow down any options you guys can recommend. I was looking at maybe a sb400 or sb600 ? The sb400 seems a bit less complicated to use. Also the pictures I take are anywhere from 8-12inches away up to about 4feet distance (of the clothes). I also shoot recreationally when on vacation or with my family / daughter (1 yrs old).

Please feel free to inform me if this is the incorrect thread to ask for assistance and guidance from such amazing photographers.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow! Not usually a fan of HDR (which I assume this is to some degree?), but that's really spectacular.

How do you achieve something like this? Special filters, PP?

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Kaplan, it's what Sony calls rich black and white. In that mode it takes 3 photos and stacks them and yes it's a variant of a slight HDR effect. That sky really did look wild and this mode really made it stand out. Here's another shot using the same mode. I like high contrast, jet black blacks with rich midtone black and white photos and this mode does it very well. No more post processing to get the effect. Set it, forget and just shoot.

170 year old Norton Vine by DYSong Photography, on Flickr

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Thanks, that sounds like a great feature.

It may not make a lot of sense, but I much prefer to be able to set a camera up to get this kind of result OOC as opposed to achieving it in post, even though some similar types of trickery may be involved. Still experimenting with the B&W settings on my X100...

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

^ Thanks, that sounds like a great feature.

It may not make a lot of sense, but I much prefer to be able to set a camera up to get this kind of result OOC as opposed to achieving it in post, even though some similar types of trickery may be involved. Still experimenting with the B&W settings on my X100...

I'm the same way. I tend to really dislike post processing other than very simple and fast tweaks to the exposure or contrast. Much more than that and I'll just delete it and go back out and reshoot.

alex99

Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members