• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

LIMatt

Reaction score

Google a company called "Cheap Nato Straps" (I believe it's run by some girl in Norway). They have a really good selection of NATO straps available and ship worldwide. I've also bought from Crown & Buckle, but I think Cheap Nato Straps is usually a slightly better price.

www.cheapestnatostraps.com

The proprietor's name is Sofie, and she's in Sweden. My only complaint was the shipping was a bit slow (almost two weeks to suburban NYC).

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those in the NYC area, there will be a watch fair featuring lots of PMWs at Chelsea Market from October 21 through 23. I'm thinking of making the trip up from DC to see it.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went for both a tan PU "leather" (I refuse to call it leather) strap from nomadstoresg.com, to try out the light look, and a dark chestnut G10 MkII from David Boettcher, which costs more than the watch did back in the days. "When one loves one does not count" as we say in France and I do love nice leather work. Now for the 4 week wait.

As for Nomad Store, they took a full week to process my order and naturally I will now have to wait 3-4 days since SingPost struggles carrying envelopes across a 25km island in less time than that.

If anybody has photos of their Boettcher strap I'd love to see them.

Farhad19620

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Talking about NATO straps , I have have started to take a real liking to them recently

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of a good source for decent quality canvas / nylon / sail cloth / fabric type straps of the non-NATO variety? Just a regular two-piece buckle strap?

I have my Glycine field watch on a two-piece Hadley-Roma Cordura strap at the moment and find it very comfortable and hard-wearing. I think I picked it up for $20 on eBay.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys, got any recommendations for a digital watch I can use for hiking, travelling etc. Something Iconic perhaps, quartz.

Cheers,
Adam

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
I have to recommend a mechanical one as a matter of principle.

But if you do want a quartz/digital watch, I believe Casio rule this segment with the G-Shock.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The G-shock is unbeatable (literally) in practical terms and as cheap as ever.

If you want to subtly show off, a dive computer is an option.

You said quartz but you didn't specify the price range, so Seiko Tunas fit. The Darth Tuna is the quintessence of a quartz watch for rough activities. Technically in the same price range as some of the stuff that makes it in this thread...

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Think I'm going to go with a G Shock 5600. Hard to tell the models apart and which one to get.

I used to wear a G-Shock every day for 7 years from my final year of primary school, all through high school. This will be like a blast from the past.

Thanks for the ideas.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
But an old-generation Seiko Monster or an Orient Mako would be great bulletproof mechanical options at about $200. And eschewing quartz makes you a better person, more attractive to women and immune to bear attacks*.

*For illustrative purposes only. This information is based on my never having been attacked by a bear. A double-blind study conducted in a country where bears are present outside zoos, would be required to support this conclusion. May not be true. Neither I nor Styleforum accept any responsibility from bear-related misfortune as a result of using a mechanical watch for non-warrantied defensive use in a bear altercation scenario. May contain nuts.

Last edited:

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Guys, got any recommendations for a digital watch I can use for hiking, travelling etc. Something Iconic perhaps, quartz.

Cheers,
Adam

I'll give a vote for a G-Shock. The Rangemaster is very comfortable and also includes a barometer, thermometer, altimeter, and the sunrise/sunset if that kind of stuff is important to you.

If you like to be able to track your mileage, route, and pace, Suunto has some attractive GPS-enabled options. Among fellow runners, Garmin is usually considered as having superior GPS capabilities, but I think the Suunto watches are about 1000x more attractive looking.

IMO, both the G-Shock Rangemaster and the Suunto Core are icons in their own way and are immediately recognizable to other WUS folks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads