• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification! Seems just my luck the ones that leapt out to me on their website all said "ETA Quartz". But I see there are some current auto versions too. Tempting!

Last edited:

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How much does it cost to get a vintage watch repolished so that the scratches in the case are minimized?

mosy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do it and you destroy the value of the watch.

Interesting. Can you explain? do vintage watches need scratches for their value? What if it's not an expensive watch and I just want it to look as new as possible?

Last edited:

starro

Reaction score
Interesting. Can you explain? do vintage watches need scratches for their value? What if it's not an expensive watch and I just want it to look as new as possible?

Sure. Collectors and buyers of vintage pieces look for 2 qualities: originality and consistency. A watch with all original parts--dial, crown, case, movement--sells for more than one with a refinished dial, or a franken. Similarly a watch where the patina on the dial matches the scratches on the case and the wear on the movement will sell for more than a mismatch (e.g. aged dial but shining case and bracelet); ceteris paribus of course.

Of course, most vintage watches do not have much in the way of real value that a serious collector would be interested in. Even so, I'm still personally against polishing, for 2 reasons. One, polishing is the removal of metal, so overpolishing wears down the case much more quickly. And two, scratches happen naturally to everyone (so we should all get over our irrational peeve). So if you go the polish route, you will get only a few months of a pristine surface before you put new dents in it. If you go OCD with polishing every time you see a scratch, then we return to point #1, the premature wearing down of the case.

But, to answer your original question, yes any jeweler or watchmaker can do this. In fact if you don't want them to you'd have to tell them not to when you bring in the watch for service. And of course, there's a big range in the quality of polishing.

Last edited:

dfwcowboy

Reaction score
Buy in bulk? That sounds like a better argument for avoiding like the plague. 3 out of 7 dead almost immediately and one more on death's door - why would you ever buy another? What are the odds the 3 still working stay that way for any length of time? Money down the drain is still money down the drain even when it's not a lot of money total. I'll take the Seiko 5. Every single time.

There's a certain novelty aspect to the HMT that you don't get with a Seiko. It's like comparing a Holga to a Nikon. It's a small miracle they work at all.

mimo

Pernicious Enabler
Reaction score
The same kind of novelty as a Trabant versus a Volkswagen.
biggrin.gif

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

A very large subset of vintage enthusiasts are absolutely mad for originality. I swear some would rather see an actual rust-caked dial over a refinished one because it is "original oxidation!". Proponents of such a view will invariably wrap themselves within the cloak of "serious collectors" - you know, as distinct from frivolous collectors who actually want a watch to look halfway decent. And would choose to replace or repair visibly damaged parts on a vintage watch just as they would with a contemporary watch. Which viewpoint is more "irrational" is no doubt a matter of individual perspective.

One thing that is beyond dispute is that the original-or-die viewpoint is so prevalent among vintage enthusiasts that any restoration will likely have an overall negative impact on future resale. This matters not at all if you have no intention to re-sell the watch. And it matters very little if the watch in question is not particularly costly. I mean, if you "destroy the value" of your $500 vintage watch such that it is now worth $250 - can you live with that? I suspect probably yes. And one thing the "serious" collectors won't readily acknowledge is that there IS a market for a watch that is properly polished, with worn, damaged or visibly beat-up parts replaced. Because not everyone views fungal growth on a watch dial as "patina". And the impact on resale value is on the whole something less than they would have you believe.

Life is short. If you will wear the watch more - and enjoy it more - if it is refurbished then rock right the hell on. So long as you are indifferent to the inevitable scoffing and mutterings of disapproval from the "serious collectors".

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
solarpanel3000