• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

zanci

Reaction score
Hello guys, I have been looking for a dress new watch.

I prefer a smaller watch with a leather strap. I want it to be an automatic.

I have my eye on this SARB065 Seiko.

I saw it on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New...ime-Gents-Watch-UK-TAX-FREE-FBA-/181617383280

Is ebay safe to buy? Is there any warranty? Where do you prefer to buy Seikos in EU?

I also have a question about servicing the automatic watches. How often must i take the watch to the offical service? How much does that cost?

Is there anything similar in the 500€ range?

Thank you

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I saw it on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brand-New...ime-Gents-Watch-UK-TAX-FREE-FBA-/181617383280

Is ebay safe to buy? Is there any warranty? Where do you prefer to buy Seikos in EU?

I also have a question about servicing the automatic watches. How often must i take the watch to the offical service? How much does that cost?

Thank you
I'm probably in the minority but I prefer the SARB035 over the SARB065 for a few reasons. First, I think that 40 mm is slightly too big for a dress watch and I really don't like the cocktail looking dial. I'm also not a big fan of the pointy indices. I got the former and bought myself a Hirsch leather band on Amazon for $40 and I couldn't be happier.

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you

1) Cocktail Time is a classic choice and now discontinued so grab one while you can.
2) Ebay - like any other web source focus on the seller, not the site. But if the seller has multiple sales, good feedback and you purchase through Paypal, you should have nothing to worry wbout.
3) For a $500 watch my rule is I don't service it until there is an apparent need - ie, erratic timekeeping or won't run. At that point it will need a full service anyway. You will want to shop around for someone good, local and inexpensive. Service is a HUGE area of potential ripoff in terms of price. One guy can charge you $100 and another $400 for the same parts and labor. But really you shouldn't expect to need service for many years - depending on use, of course. If you wear the watch 24/7/365 then naturally, it will need service sooner than one you wear occasionally. It's not a direct comparison but think of hours run on your watch like miles on your car.
4) There are a bazillion other options, but none I would say is conclusively better than the one you selected. If you dig it, but it and and enjoy it.

Allmodcons1965

Reaction score

Old timex,new strap(zuludiver)

ErikW

Reaction score
Graduating from business school (MBA) next month. Any watch suggestions? I work in tech, so don't need anything too formal for work.

Current collection:
  1. Seiko SARB065 (Cocktail Hour)
  2. Seiko SNZH53 dive watch
  3. Rodina
  4. Tissel B-UHR pilot watch

Budget: <$2,000 (I know, this is above the limit for the Poor Man's Watch thread).

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Graduating from business school (MBA) next month. Any watch suggestions? I work in tech, so don't need anything too formal for work.

Current collection: 
  1. Seiko SARB065 (Cocktail Hour)
  2. Seiko SNZH53 dive watch
  3. Rodina 
  4. Tissel B-UHR pilot watch

Budget: <$2,000 (I know, this is above the limit for the Poor Man's Watch thread). 

A Grand Seiko GMT? Second hand, it might just fall under the limit. If you're not in the US, you have to have calls in PST, if you're in the US, and on the West Coast, you need to have calls with Asia. Either way, the second time zone is useful. I also like the Nomos Zurich Weltzeit for the same reason but don't know where the price is these days.

If you just want something a bit ridiculous, a Darth Tuna is the ultimate diver.

If you're willing to split the budget, Perpetual Watch could send you a Chronograph and a Tourbillon (or a PR if to your taste). I personally really like the first and not having been bitten by tourbillon fever, still admire the second for coming orders of magnitude below the Swiss competition in terms of budget.

Also look at Chronoswiss for something different yet with a classic spirit, and great value for money.

If you want to be classic, I think something from Glasshutte or a vintage Grand Seiko hi-beat from the 1950s-60s would be quite nice.

DerangedGoose

Reaction score
Probably not to everyones taste, but I finally snagged a vintage Soviet chonograph that I have had my eye on for a while. These Sturmanskie chronographs were sold with the 3133 caliber soviet movement (which is further differentiated into hacking and 24 hr / moonphase / other indicator variants). It is a civilian model but is fairly rare, especially in such pristine condition (unlike the steel military versions, all the case components are chromed brass and anyone who has looked for a mint condition Seiko 6139 Pogue will agree that sunburst dials tend to fade, oxidize, and rust if exposed to the elements). The lumed triangle on the internal rotating bezel needs to be redone, but I might just take triangle off. It even comes on a period accurate bracelet (which I will almost certainly never wear)

Last edited:

Southeasterly

Reaction score
Given a 2k budget, I would look at Sinn and Stowa. They both offer great value for money. Stowa had several models in PMW territory and a Sinn 856 UTC would still be in budget.

SJR3

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Not sure if this kind of plug is allowed, but check out my sig for a watch I'm selling. It's the Tisell Type B flieger that's been recently discussed in this thread. It's an awesome watch, but 43mm is just a bit too big for my preference. I found out after purchasing mine that Tisell did a 40mm version of the exact same watch but now seems to be discontinued. I'm going to try to track one down.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member