• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Please critique my suit in honesty

nguywing

Reaction score
Just bought this slim fit black suit from Hugo Boss - I think one of the sales associates rush on me too fast and I feel like the sleeves are way too long as well as the jacket. I wanted to show off my watch and undershirt sleeves however the jacket sleeves are covering it. Still got the tags on so I'm able to return it.

What do you guys think? Also do you prefer this tie or a simple black one? Should I return it or ask the sales associates to trim some parts off?
Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1225.JPG
    IMG_1225.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_1226.JPG
    IMG_1226.JPG
    90.5 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1227.JPG
    IMG_1227.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_1228.JPG
    IMG_1228.JPG
    96.7 KB · Views: 101

Evergreen88

Reaction score
I agree with you when you say the sleeves are too long, they should be shortened by 1-2cm depending on your taste. That's a relatively easy fix, but it seems that the jacket is too large for you, around the shoulders, which is not something worth addressing. At the same time, the length seems to be right. You might want to try going a size down for the jacket and see if the sleeves and shoulders fit better, but paying attention at the length of the jacket.

Last edited:

nguywing

Reaction score
I agree with you when you say the sleeves are too long, they should be shortened by 1-2cm depending on your taste. That's a relatively easy fix, but it seems that the jacket is too large for you, around the shoulders, which is not something worth addressing. At the same time, the length seems to be right. You might want to try going a size down for the jacket and see if the sleeves and shoulders fit better, but paying attention at the length of the jacket.
Do you know if the jacket have to cover my bum?

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As far as slimness goes, this depends heavily on your own build, IMO. If you have wide shoulders and a small waist, then a cut which shows that off is fine.

The issues with this suit, however, extend beyond that. The armhole area is far too large, and it seems as though the jacket is slightly short at the back. It is also likely to be fused.

I would return it - as for your tie question, it need not be a black tie with a black suit, but this one doesn't work.

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just bought this slim fit black suit from Hugo Boss - I think one of the sales associates rush on me too fast and I feel like the sleeves are way too long as well as the jacket. I wanted to show off my watch and undershirt sleeves however the jacket sleeves are covering it. Still got the tags on so I'm able to return it.

What do you guys think? Also do you prefer this tie or a simple black one? Should I return it or ask the sales associates to trim some parts off?
Thanks

I'd return the suit. You can do much better.

This is from someone who's made their share of sartorial mistake.

Also, the armholes look really low.

OldMetairie

Reaction score
Take it back, the biggest thing to me here is that you don't love the fit and you feel like you got rushed into a decision. When I find myself in these situations (and it has happened on numerous occasions) it is tough to bounce back from and there is a nagging feeling that would accompany me everytime I wore it. If you aren't satisfied, and by asking the question on the forum I gauge that you are not, simply take it back and look for something that you are happy with.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You can see how slim the suit looks when you lighten up the photos. Look at the trousers in particular

IMG_1228.JPG

Jacket has an odd silhouette

IMG_1225 (1).JPG

Lots of fashionable suit styles look like this, at best

tumblr_oddlpb6NN51qa2j8co3_r1_1280.jpg

TIM200127_Kushner.Cover_.jpg

Instead of trying to get a coat that replicates the shape of your body, look at what happens when you get a cut that's a bit fuller and longer (assuming the tailoring has been done well). You can achieve a more flattering V-shaped figure.

2.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg

14276514_1748493745402547_135366435_n.jpg

tumblr_oddlpb6NN51qa2j8co2_r1_500.jpg

Compare these pants

IMG_1228.JPG

To these slightly fuller, but still slim, pants. The back hangs more cleanly, which is partly about the custom tailoring (these were custom made), but when you get pants that aren't so slim, they're also less likely to cling to your leg

tumblr_n4z4yjPhxU1r3o86ko2_1280.jpg

More than paying attention to where seams hit and whether a suit technically fits well, look at whether the suit looks good on you. Spier & Mackay here sells suits around the Hugo Boss price point but will likely fit you much better in terms of silhouette.

A small thing, but also consider using a four in hand for your tie knot.

Last edited:

aj805

Reaction score
I think that for those just learning about classic menswear and trying to put together first suits, video is far more useful than photos for reviewing.

I have seen pictures that make the dimensions of things seem so far off and seem to reveal fit issues, which when followed up with other photos taken in different angles, in different lighting and in different poses don't display the same issues.

When I'm trying to sort out new patterns and fits I take video modelling the stuff just like a catwalk, turning around, sitting, folding your arms, etc., then you will see the garment in action, how it moves and falls on your body, and all of the problems with camera angle and specific poses are avoided.

ahtynes

Reaction score
You can see how slim the suit looks when you lighten up the photos. Look at the trousers in particular

View attachment 1476352

View attachment 1476358

View attachment 1476359
View attachment 1476360

Instead of trying to get a coat that replicates the shape of your body, look at what happens when you get a cut that's a bit fuller and longer (assuming the tailoring has been done well). You can achieve a more flattering V-shaped figure.

View attachment 1476361
View attachment 1476362
View attachment 1476363
View attachment 1476364
View attachment 1476365
View attachment 1476366

Compare these pants

View attachment 1476352

To these slightly fuller, but still slim, pants. The back hangs more cleanly, which is partly about the custom tailoring (these were custom made), but when you get pants that aren't so slim, they're also less likely to cling to your leg

View attachment 1476374

More than paying attention to where seams hit and whether a suit technically fits well, look at whether the suit looks good on you. Spier & Mackay here sells suits around the Hugo Boss price point but will likely fit you much better in terms of silhouette.

George's jacket is so good.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1476352

View attachment 1476358

View attachment 1476359
View attachment 1476360

View attachment 1476361
View attachment 1476362
View attachment 1476363
View attachment 1476364
View attachment 1476365
View attachment 1476366

Compare these pants

View attachment 1476352

View attachment 1476374

Yes, I should have added: a good fit for a slim build isn't necessarily body-hugging. The structure and silhouette of the suit is more important.

nguywing

Reaction score
Got another question as well. I’m currently on a cutting diet and will be putting on some muscle mass in a few weeks. Will any of the muscle gains (especially my chest muscles) affect my suit?

othertravel

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Got another question as well. I’m currently on a cutting diet and will be putting on some muscle mass in a few weeks. Will any of the muscle gains (especially my chest muscles) affect my suit?

No. It's a garbage suit. You need to return it, and go to a proper store/boutique that won't let you walk out with an ill-fitting garment.

Not trying to be harsh (I've made the mistake you made many times). Just trying to save you time and money.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads