• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Personal Business Card?

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
WSJ had an article on personal cards in their weekend edition. It's a cute but silly idea. I have hundreds of business cards to store, why would I want to store "personal cards" that serve no function since I'd have your phone/email/facebook/linkedin if I really wanted to be in touch with you? If someone gave me a pretty little personal card, I'd toss it in the trash after I stored their info on my phone/email/facebook (if I do at all).

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imageWIS
Smythson is very cool, but very, very expensive.
Yeah. I'd use Picolo Press if I was in the UK.
Originally Posted by Jodum5
WSJ had an article on personal cards in their weekend edition. It's a cute but silly idea. I have hundreds of business cards to store, why would I want to store "personal cards" that serve no function since I'd have your phone/email/facebook/linkedin if I really wanted to be in touch with you? If someone gave me a pretty little personal card, I'd toss it in the trash after I stored their info on my phone/email/facebook (if I do at all).
Thanks for the article -- it was half-decent, but a little short. Anyway, the card is about getting you my info, nit about being a receptacle for holding it for you that you'd always have to store. I assume they'll be tossed as soon as they have served their function, though (and I thought it odd) someone who had my card still had it in their wallet a year later. ~ H

Agnacious

Reaction score
Currently, my self-printed cards (thy are thin, but look quite good) have my name, email address, and two phone numbers, one is my USA number and the other is a number hat I have in buenos aires that calls directly to my cell phone. I use white card stock with black print (currently using Centaur as my font).

I've been thinking about printing my personal seal (which I designed) in red on the cards as well, but I don't know if the seal makes them too casual to give out in a business networking setting; I'm looking for another job.

You should remove the BA number it serves no purpose for business networking in NY and at worst sends a bad message.

The seal also should be nixed. I can't think of any explanation to "What's that thingy" that would work to your advantage.

A social card could include both.

Agnacious

Reaction score
Why?

You are sending a mixed message. If I saw that I would think you spent a significant time in BA, making you think you needed to list it, and wonder what the implications of that are.

From what I remember you are young, think of the other potential candidates and how they are presenting themselves; "I am here, I am ready to do what it takes to get a job in this field". You are introducing a variable that could be received negatively in comparison.

Also remember, the person you give your card to may not be the final recipient. It may be handed off of couple of times as someone expresses interest and the holder thinks you are a good match, so even if you have a good explanation, that could get lost in the shuffle.

Huntsman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you use in the US?
Yeah, I just mentioned Picolo as an alternative to the steepness of Smythson's. I use Bradley Engraving in FL as they were one of the few who do blind embossing. http://www.bradleyengraved.com/personal_stationery.htm Story I wanted to relate: My boss was interviewing new engineers, and there was this kid who was graduating in May. He gave out personal cards with his contact info on them, and under his name "Aspiring Mechanical Engineer" and I have to say that didn't make the best impression with me. Seemed a little, I don't know, "who do you think you are?" Part of that was the whole package, he kind of was a little smarmy like that, too -- it's all in the presentation. And anyway, he was in engineering, not a more creative field, and he was still in college. So I think that using a card as part of employment-seeking is really going to be industry-dependent. I also agree with Ag about the BsAs number -- if you're not going after a really high-end job, it might project that you are 'too good' for their offer (unless of course BsAs somehow fits with them). ~ H

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Agnacious
You are sending a mixed message. If I saw that I would think you spent a significant time in BA, making you think you needed to list it, and wonder what the implications of that are.

I do have a residence in BA, and when possible go back for vacation. I am however based out of NYC.

From what I remember you are young, think of the other potential candidates and how they are presenting themselves; "I am here, I am ready to do what it takes to get a job in this field". You are introducing a variable that could be received negatively in comparison.
I'm not that young, and for the type of job I'm looking for (in the Marketing / Ad / eCommerce fields), I have quite a few years of experience.

Also remember, the person you give your card to may not be the final recipient. It may be handed off of couple of times as someone expresses interest and the holder thinks you are a good match, so even if you have a good explanation, that could get lost in the shuffle.
Good point.

Originally Posted by Huntsman
Yeah, I just mentioned Picolo as an alternative to the steepness of Smythson's. I use Bradley Engraving in FL as they were one of the few who do blind embossing.

http://www.bradleyengraved.com/personal_stationery.htm

Cool, thanks.

Story I wanted to relate: My boss was interviewing new engineers, and there was this kid who was graduating in May. He gave out personal cards with his contact info on them, and under his name "Aspiring Mechanical Engineer" and I have to say that didn't make the best impression with me. Seemed a little, I don't know, "who do you think you are?" Part of that was the whole package, he kind of was a little smarmy like that, too -- it's all in the presentation. And anyway, he was in engineering, not a more creative field, and he was still in college.

So I think that using a card as part of employment-seeking is really going to be industry-dependent. I also agree with Ag about the BsAs number -- if you're not going after a really high-end job, it might project that you are 'too good' for their offer (unless of course BsAs somehow fits with them).

~ H
Since I am looking primarily in Marketing / Ad / eCommerce fields, which are more creative than engineering and have experience in them, and they tend to be more flamboyant than say investment banking, shouldn't I add a logo for some hint of color? At least for the sake of making the card more memorable than just any other card.

Also, I want to emphasize my fluency in Spanish, and putting a phone number in BA (which is a real number, it calls my cell phone here in the states) has helped in at least one occasion for me to show just that.

alan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What if someone hasnt graduated yet but has some business meetings (not interviews)? would you think that a personal card would be suitable then?

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
Originally Posted by alan
What if someone hasnt graduated yet but has some business meetings (not interviews)? would you think that a personal card would be suitable then?

Some people have business cards made up with "Student" or "PhD Candidate" listed as their "job title".

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Many schools (HBS for example) issue business cards to their students. If yours doesn't, it isn't a terrible idea to issue as few as you can get away with as there's no sense printing 500.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have them, but I don't hand them out anymore. People just made fun of me for it. I thought it was classy and easy, but it usually came across as tacky and eccentric. I never hand out my work business card. People have no business calling me at work and my position cannot benefit others, nor can they benefit me by having my business card.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by imatlas
Some people have business cards made up with "Student" or "PhD Candidate" listed as their "job title".

Originally Posted by Jodum5
Many schools (HBS for example) issue business cards to their students. If yours doesn't, it isn't a terrible idea to issue as few as you can get away with as there's no sense printing 500.

I think the format I had took care of both those things-- it listed my expected degree and graduation year. So it was "Concordia, MXYZ '12." Since the cards were meant to go to employers, it had the career office's direct line as well as my home number and student e-mail, in case there was an important message that needed to be sent. (This was in the days before Blackberries, etc.)

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by patrickBOOTH
I have them, but I don't hand them out anymore. People just made fun of me for it. I thought it was classy and easy, but it usually came across as tacky and eccentric. I never hand out my work business card. People have no business calling me at work and my position cannot benefit others, nor can they benefit me by having my business card.

Well, what did they look like and what did you put on them?

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Well, what did they look like and what did you put on them?

"Federal Breast Inspector"?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads