• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Percale vs. Sateen Sheets?

Rymenus

Reaction score
Need advice. I'm trying to decide between sateen and percale sheets. Does it matter? Sateen seem to be touted as the "quality + comfort sheet" whereas percale seems to be the "cool + crisp". Is one of them generally regarded higher than another? We have a percale duvet cover which is nice and keeps me cool at night (I sweat and prefer a cooler sleep) but given the cost of the nicer sheets, I don't want to make the wrong decision. Do any of them clean better than others? Would one or the other retain stains (blood, spills) more than another? We have silk pillowcases and the blood came right out in the wash. Would either weave last longer than another? At the moment, I'm looking at the Sferra Giza 45 sheets. The sateen is more expensive, but in either case I'm looking at $1500+ so I don't want to make the wrong. Thanks.

kasper007

Reaction score
We got some Giza 45 sheets last year and we had this exact "discussion" between my wife and I. As you mentioned, percale is weaved less tightly and is cooler. The texture / look is also a bit different, percale is initially rougher to the touch and more plain while sateen is shinier and "softer". You buy these to last decades and the percale will soften up pretty quickly and be just as soft after a bit of use and a few washes. I would have prefered percale, but I guess the wife got the last work on this one and we have sateen. Could not be more happy though, I really don't think you can go wrong with either.

SirWilliam

Reaction score
4 threads over 1 (typically) with sateen vs 1 over 1 with percale. Are you sure it is woven less tightly?

I think percale is a stronger weave. I also have Giza 45 sheets from Sferra in sateen as well as Giza 45 pillow cases in both sateen and percale. I like the sateen better for a luxury cotton like this.

I have 300TC Sateen duvet covers from Christian Fischbacher and a 400TC percale from Sferra and I think the Sferra has held up better though the CF Sateen is noticeably softer. I've had both for maybe 4 years.

I sleep in an air conditioned room and I don't see much benefit from a percale as a hot sleeper. Without AC percale and 100% linen sheets are better.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads