• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

people who ***** about tipping are scum?

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Its a shift. A shift is a shift regardless of what you are serving.

For example do you pay a baby sitter 1/2 the wage once the kids go to sleep? No. Same thing.

-1. We're talking about a buffet. The staff are not "waiters" or even "servers" in the sense of taking orders and bringing your food. Yes, it's a shift, but it's shift with what I consider less responsibilities. I'm a decent tipper, but I'm not going to tip the same at a buffet as I would at a full-service restaurant. Sorry, and your analogy doesn't work. I would pay a baby sitter less than a nanny for the same amount of time if, for example, the baby sitter only has to watch the kid and provide prepared food straight from the fridge while the nanny is expected to cook and do some of the kids' laundry.

curzon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

True story..

The police in Dover closed a kebab shop after finding the garlic sauce has a quite high ***** content...

All these guys and firls eating ***** kebabs is just revolting...

True story.

The food and sanitation inspectors in Riyahd shut down a shwarma shop after finding its sauce had too low a ***** content. "Consumer fraud," said one official adding, "Not tasty, not tasty at all."

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I had live-in maids a bit higher than that salary range when I lived in the Gulf. Thieving wenches all of them; the pilferage was unbelievable. They'd post laundry detergent back to India. A can of furniture polish would be "all used" in two days. One ran a lunchtime catering business cooking and serving my food to the security guards. This explains why refrigerators sold in the region have locks built into them.

When caught each rationalized her theft with this very same explanation: "But Sir, you come from a rich country."

Fair enough...

You can't really argue with that point before kicking them out of your door.

Gordon Gekko

Reaction score

He won't win because it's impossible to win an argument with a moron.

Here's yet another guy who insults me, but yet, can't prove me wrong. If I'm so much of a moron, it should be easy to prove me wrong, shouldn't it? How come none of you who think I'm so stupid have been able to prove me wrong?

Gordon Gekko

Reaction score

adultery is illegal in more places than the military. so if your basic premise is fundamentally wrong, how is it possible that you could win the argument? also, how old are you, btw. I remember you saying once that you were young.

and actually, speaking about laws, IIRC, the reason restaurants can avoid paying the mandated minimum wage is because it is codified that tips would cover the deficit. So yeah, you kind of are legally expected to tip.

Show me someone whose doing jail-time for adultery. Don't bother because you can't. I also want you to show me where it says that I'm legally OBLIGATED to tip....not legally "expected" to tip. If me not tipping isn't punishable by law, then there's no law against not tipping. So miss me with that "legally expected" crap. It's either legally binding or it isn't, no in-between.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Here's yet another guy who insults me, but yet, can't prove me wrong. If I'm so much of a moron, it should be easy to prove me wrong, shouldn't it? How come none of you who think I'm so stupid have been able to prove me wrong?

Show me someone whose doing jail-time for adultery. Don't bother because you can't. I also want you to show me where it says that I'm legally OBLIGATED to tip....not legally "expected" to tip. If me not tipping isn't punishable by law, then there's no law against not tipping. So miss me with that "legally expected" crap. It's either legally binding or it isn't, no in-between.

You know Gordy, there is a regular stream of people that join the fora who are going to be a contrarian to the end. Congratulations, you have proven 2 completely useless points. You are one of these people.

Jail time for tipping? That will probably be your next post so let me save you the effort, ok? No jail time for no tipping. I suggest you start a non-profit as you seem to be much more passionate about it than your 'under construction' website.

Or better yet, you really have a penchant for the black and white of the law. Maybe you could become a lawyer and do pro bono work for the growing undercurrent of people that dont want to tip a waiter. I suggest you mine for members at Tea Party rallies, they seem to understand the black and white very well, more the white but anyway.

Keep it coming man. I'd like to know how far down your rabbit hole goes.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I had live-in maids a bit higher than that salary range when I lived in the Gulf. Thieving wenches all of them; the pilferage was unbelievable. They'd post laundry detergent back to India. A can of furniture polish would be "all used" in two days. One ran a lunchtime catering business cooking and serving my food to the security guards. This explains why refrigerators sold in the region have locks built into them.

When caught each rationalized her theft with this very same explanation: "But Sir, you come from a rich country."

The #1 lesson of my entire life is this: NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF DENIAL

Some people are just perpetual victims. While I dont encounter your situation often I suggest you use the "anchoring" tactic. When a new person starts simply tell them this and I am pretty sure the behavior will stop:

"We are hiring you because the people that worked here before were stealing, and so were the people we hired before them. While we are not assuming you will steal but we will be watching everything very closely. If we find anything stolen we'll ______ you."

-1. We're talking about a buffet. The staff are not "waiters" or even "servers" in the sense of taking orders and bringing your food. Yes, it's a shift, but it's shift with what I consider less responsibilities. I'm a decent tipper, but I'm not going to tip the same at a buffet as I would at a full-service restaurant. Sorry, and your analogy doesn't work. I would pay a baby sitter less than a nanny for the same amount of time if, for example, the baby sitter only has to watch the kid and provide prepared food straight from the fridge while the nanny is expected to cook and do some of the kids' laundry.

Ok, so would you pay a nanny less for the hours the kid was napping?

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[...]
Ok, so would you pay a nanny less for the hours the kid was napping?

That's kind of an odd analogy because the nanny works for you exclusively during that time.
A daycare is the better example.
Daycare A simply watches your kids, maybe takes them to the bathroom etc.
Daycare B does all that plus reads to them, plays with them, makes them lunch.

Discuss.

Last edited:

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That's kind of an odd analogy because the nanny works for you exclusively during that time.
A daycare is the better example.
Daycare A simply watches your kids, maybe takes them to the bathroom etc.
Daycare B does all that plus reads to them, plays with them, makes them lunch.

Discuss.

Ok, day care. Would you pay either day care less for the hours when the kids sleep? Both have a standard price difference, just like 2 different restaurants.

Or maybe a nursing home is now a better analogy? Hospice? Betty Ford clinic?

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, this threak is like a debate between birthers and truthers. "I don't tip because there's no law requiring me to" and "Servers deserve a 20% tip all the time regardless of level of service" are equally ridiculous positions.

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok, day care. Would you pay either day care less for the hours when the kids sleep? Both have a standard price difference, just like 2 different restaurants.
[...]

I have no idea what the kids' sleeping has anything to do with anything.
Watching kids while they sleep would be the analogy of having the buffet waiter watch me while I eat? I would probably not tip for that kind of service, thank you very much.
If the nanny goes to watch somebody else's kids while mine are sleeping, I'd find somebody else.

If waiters share part of their tips with busboys, and the function of the buffet waiters are pretty much those of a busboy, wouldn't it mean that they would expect a smaller tip?

BTW, I don't go to buffets, either, but I find this discussion fascinating.

Last edited:

Ty_Webb

Reaction score
I would be paying a nanny/babysitter/daycare to make sure that my kids were safe. I want them to be kept safe whether they are awake or asleep. Therefore, I would pay them the same for looking after my kids whether they were awake or asleep.

As to the buffet question, saying you should tip at a buffet is like saying you should tip when you go shopping at the supermarket because someone put those things out on the shelf for you and kept the aisles clean and accessible. No?

I do have a question too. When I'm at a bar, I tend to tip a dollar per drink, unless I'm sitting down and getting served at a table with a tab and then I'll just do 20%. Last night I was at a cocktail bar, where the cocktails were around $14-15 per drink. Making them is a lot more work than pouring a beer or popping a cap off a beer, so question is what would be a suitable tip in that situation? I'm pretty sure that the bar staff there are also the owners of the bar and so the whole making less than minimum wage doesn't apply, but they were providing an impressive service.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I would be paying a nanny/babysitter/daycare to make sure that my kids were safe. I want them to be kept safe whether they are awake or asleep. Therefore, I would pay them the same for looking after my kids whether they were awake or asleep.

Exactly.

I do have a question too. When I'm at a bar, I tend to tip a dollar per drink, unless I'm sitting down and getting served at a table with a tab and then I'll just do 20%. Last night I was at a cocktail bar, where the cocktails were around $14-15 per drink. Making them is a lot more work than pouring a beer or popping a cap off a beer, so question is what would be a suitable tip in that situation? I'm pretty sure that the bar staff there are also the owners of the bar and so the whole making less than minimum wage doesn't apply, but they were providing an impressive service.

I would tip $2-$3/drink, assuming that the bartenders didn't ignore you for 15 minutes to serve the cute girls at the bar first.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have no idea what the kids' sleeping has anything to do with anything.
Watching kids while they sleep would be the analogy of having the buffet waiter watch me while I eat? I would probably not tip for that kind of service, thank you very much.
If the nanny goes to watch somebody else's kids while mine are sleeping, I'd find somebody else.

If waiters share part of their tips with busboys, and the function of the buffet waiters are pretty much those of a busboy, wouldn't it mean that they would expect a smaller tip?

BTW, I don't go to buffets, either, but I find this discussion fascinating.

The comparison I am making is that with buffet/brunch you are taking up a table just like any other shift. Like whether a kid was awake or asleep. The sitter gets paid the same, so does the waiter.

In reality you are not doing alot less with a brunch, so you dont take an order and deliver a plate? So what? Its not that much work. You still do everything else.

And paying a flat rate for the food allows you to stuff your ass good and full.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads