• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The Uniform/LA Lennon Loose Fit jeans drop is now live! Check out both the light Palms and dark Lithium Both are made from premium Japanese right hand 3x1 denim in the USA,. Uniform/LA is know for premium materials and meticulous pattern making. Support a small business built on quality and integrity.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Paul Sargent (formerly Alfred Sargent) Appreciation Thread

chrfi

Reaction score
Afpos having a great sale right now. I picked up a pair of Cambridge for under 200 gbp

Well, I saw that too. I ordered a pair of the Cambridges this spring in a sale, but had to return them as the workmanship was so poor. They had the same shape, but the older AF models way multiple tiers better made. So take care to check the boots if they fit your expectation, I did not want to keep them.

When I returned them, the AFPOS answer kind of said they agree and will be closing the line.

chrfi

Reaction score
Huh. I got mine yesterday and just did a very cursory look-over after traveling for a couple of weeks. They seemed fine on first glance. What was wrong with yours?

I think it's because I have two pairs of the AS Cambridge, it was easy to spot differences which might not matter to some. The major issues were sloppy lasting at the waist with leather bulging a bit, sloppy eylet work, speedhooks used were too small for the laces and most funnily, the fantastic integrated pull tab was sewn in so tight it could not be used. Might be ok for some, but I just felt I'd feel bad every time I'd wear them, so I returned them.

MrSpade

Reaction score
I think it's because I have two pairs of the AS Cambridge, it was easy to spot differences which might not matter to some. The major issues were sloppy lasting at the waist with leather bulging a bit, sloppy eylet work, speedhooks used were too small for the laces and most funnily, the fantastic integrated pull tab was sewn in so tight it could not be used. Might be ok for some, but I just felt I'd feel bad every time I'd wear them, so I returned them.
I do agree with you about poor workmanship, I support Paul Sargent brand, was very happy for this brand to comeback, but about a year ago I bought chelsea boots from AFPOS and had to get an exchange, because of the wonky sole stitiching and lines/scratches on the uppers.

Last week I bought a pair of Cambridge boots and a pair of Moore Oxfords.
Boots had no issues, but Moore oxfords had poor finish, right shoe sole was slightly wider and stitching was wonky, left shoe was rubbing my ankle bone, therefore had to return them…
Received two new pairs, Moore in Cherry and black.
Pair in Cherry fits great, no rubbing on ankle bone🤷‍♂️, sole stitching is better, but still the sole itself is slightly wider than the sole on the right shoe… If you put both shoes together looks weird.
Black pair is ok, stitching is a bit off on the toe of the left shoe, but I can live with that.
I could post some pictures, but really don’t want to throw a shade on this brand, hopefully it will get better with time.
I’ll see if I want to keep the pair in Cherry as the sole really bothers me…

jssdc

Reaction score
Yeah that doesn’t sound great. I didn’t look at the eyelets/speedhooks, and I didn’t try them on either. I looked at the stitching pretty closely and also the leather quality and both seemed within the range of a 7 year-old pair of Hoxtons on the same last. Next time I have socks on I’ll probably slip them on though to verify lasting and whatnot is ok.

Jon 1981

Reaction score
I enquired about going MTO on a handgrade model and got no reply on two occasions.
I think PS maybe going into witness protection.

rapide66

Reaction score
I enquired about going MTO on a handgrade model and got no reply on two occasions.
I think PS maybe going into witness protection.
I don't want to bad-mouth PS since I love the Moore and really want them to succeed... but they replied to me exactly two months after I sent them an enquiry. I hope they will get their act together.

chrfi

Reaction score
Yeah that doesn’t sound great. I didn’t look at the eyelets/speedhooks, and I didn’t try them on either. I looked at the stitching pretty closely and also the leather quality and both seemed within the range of a 7 year-old pair of Hoxtons on the same last. Next time I have socks on I’ll probably slip them on though to verify lasting and whatnot is ok.

I think on mine also the nice gusseted tongues where cut too short, below where you'd tie the laces. I think for me the main thing is that my favorite boots are AS Cambrige which I have two pairs and the comparison was not good with PS. It's the same last, but quality has dropped a lot.

jssdc

Reaction score
I think on mine also the nice gusseted tongues where cut too short, below where you'd tie the laces. I think for me the main thing is that my favorite boots are AS Cambrige which I have two pairs and the comparison was not good with PS. It's the same last, but quality has dropped a lot.
I’ll be sure to give mine a closer look then. I’ve had two PS experiences, and while both were super time consuming both ultimately worked out. My burgundy AS Moore’s were resoled to a high level (after almost 6 months) and my cherry Moore purchase right after PS restarted took like 6 or 7 months but the quality is quite comparable to AS. From all these comments it seems like they can still get it done but are really struggling on the management and quality control.

MrSpade

Reaction score
Is Alfred Sargent DX width same as E or EX width?
F fits me great, but not sure if DX suppose to be narrow or just a bit narrower...

Last edited:

MrSpade

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Sorry if I made an impression of spamming, perhaps someone could delete my message above, but I am desperate for help.
How do you guys approach AS UK to US sizing?
Some shoes are marked e.g. 9 UK 9.5 US.
Sid Mashburn shoes that were made by AS are only marked in US size and US width, does anyone have a pair of AS in UK and Sid Mashburn shoes in US sizing? Could you guys confirm it is half a size from UK or perhaps 1 full size as usually?

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
If you are visiting London, you could make an appointment and visit the factory in Rushden. It is within commuting distance. Take the train from St Pancras to Wellingborough (one hour) rather than Northampton then a 5 mile taxi to the factory.

I'm local but not connected with the business.
Curious to know if the gentleman ever took this advice on board? As in if he took the train from St Pancreas to Wellingborough followed by a 5 mile taxi ride to the AS factory? I'm thinking the round trip may have cost the fine gentleman a tad bit more than the price of the shoes themselves that he went there to purchase :rolleyes: :p

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CashmereHelp