• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

PARABOOT APPRECIATION THREAD 2018 - NEWS, PICTURES, CLOTHING, ACCESSORIES, ETC.

LiverFieldie

Reaction score
Finally got my hands on a pair of slightly used Chambords. After what seemed like infinite pondering and research mostly around choosing a size (7.5 vs 8 UK), I decided to give them a go in UK 7.5 -- 1 full size down from my Barrie last (8.5D US) and .5 down from my usual UK8 (viz., 1.5 down from my "usual" US dress shoe size 9D). The fit is comfortably snug -- along the lines of what I'd seek in a dress shoe fit. If I was thinking about wearing anything other than a thin dress sock, I think I'd have to go up to UK8. I was a little worried that the Chambord would be too chunky a silhouette for me, but I actually love the design - perfect for the semi-casual purpose I envisioned. EDIT: After all that, I've decided these are going back - I think an 8 would be better long term ast the 7.5, while it certainly fits, leaves no margin for error. If anyone is interested in a good deal on a 7.5 - DM me; otherwise they're headed back via UPS this week while I hunt for a pair of 8's.

Chambord.jpg

Last edited:

LiverFieldie

Reaction score
Avignon. Maybe 5-6 wears so far. Love them - even though I already nicked the right toe and need to do some maintenance.

UK8 perfect for my US 9D.

Attachments

• IMG_8475.jpeg
    IMG_8475.jpeg
    247.2 KB · Views: 600

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone using Paraboot cleansing cream? I have a pair of Michaels in lisse cafe and was wondering what I should use to clean/condition them w/out affecting the color. What other products should I consider?

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Anyone using Paraboot cleansing cream? I have a pair of Michaels in lisse cafe and was wondering what I should use to clean/condition them w/out affecting the color. What other products should I consider?
If you are referring to Paraboot Conditioner/Cleaner https://shop.drinkwaterscambridge.com/paraboot-cleaner-conditioner.html
I am, we are and you should. I recommend that you start cleaning your shoes by first wiping them down with a damp cloth to remove any surface dirt. Followed by wiping them down with the conditioner / cleaner to remove any stubborn dirt and caked polish. When dry, follow up with the necessary Paraboot bees wax polish in the appropriate color and brush with a horsehair brush to the desired shine. All products available in store or online.

spoiledone

Reaction score
I received my pair of Paraboot Michaels a couple of days ago in size 42. I typically wear a 9 to 9.5 in most shoes so I went with size 42 being a half size down from my usual size.
The shoe has some room in the toes, enough that if I slide my foot forward I can fit my index finger between my heel and the back of the show. This is how most of my shoes fit with no issues.
The trouble with the Michaels is due to the 2 hole lacing I get some heel slip. I also have to cinch the laces down and double knot them to get rid of most of the heel slip, which is fine as long as the leather doesn't stretch to the point this is no longer possible.
Should I return them for a 41.5 size or will this be too tight? Does anyone know how many centimeters difference there is between half sizes and full sizes? If it's a full centimeter I think going down a half size will make them too tight.
Advice is appreciated!

Drinkwaters

OG
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I received my pair of Paraboot Michaels a couple of days ago in size 42. I typically wear a 9 to 9.5 in most shoes so I went with size 42 being a half size down from my usual size.
The shoe has some room in the toes, enough that if I slide my foot forward I can fit my index finger between my heel and the back of the show. This is how most of my shoes fit with no issues.
The trouble with the Michaels is due to the 2 hole lacing I get some heel slip. I also have to cinch the laces down and double knot them to get rid of most of the heel slip, which is fine as long as the leather doesn't stretch to the point this is no longer possible.
Should I return them for a 41.5 size or will this be too tight? Does anyone know how many centimeters difference there is between half sizes and full sizes? If it's a full centimeter I think going down a half size will make them too tight.
Advice is appreciated!
No, do not size down. Heel slip is common on Paraboot, especially Michael. Once the sole breaks in, you'll experience minimal heel slip but heel slip is common on a heavy soled shoe.

LiverFieldie

Reaction score
My anecdotal experience is there is some sizing variance from pair to pair with Paraboots. For example, I have two pairs of Avignons - one is a perfect fit in a light (not thin, but lighter) dress sock at 8UK (-1 my usual US dress shoe, e.g., Alden Plaza 9D, though -0.5 from Alden Barrie is probably more an apples to apples comparison) and the other 8UK is a comfortable fit with a medium weight sock in the same size/model.

If I put both sole to sole they look exactly the same, but, from above, you can see pair #2 looks a little roomier on the uppers, which is exactly how they feel on the foot. Both look proportionally correct when worn, however, so sock choice makes a big difference and allows for the right fit to be achieved. Also, pair 1 is leather, and pair 2 is suede, which may also make a difference.

In Michaels, I've found 42 works with a medium weight sock; no heel slip, laces secure over my instep etc., and looks proportionally correct on the foot. I suppose I could stuff into a 41.5 with a thin sock and hope they stretch to conform, but they also look too small on my foot for my liking if I sized down another .5.

Finally, in my experience a "true to size" EU 42 is really closer to a "true to size" US 9.25 (if such a thing existed), and an EU 41.5 is more like a US 8.75. The EU size scale doesn't directly correlate to US/UK standard sizing. Which might contribute to the Michael sizing conundrum.

bill_scoresby

Reaction score
I'm interested in getting a pair of Chambord but not a fan of the rubber sole. I saw the Drake's collaboration has a leather sole but they're unfortunately sold out in my size. Anyone here ever have their rubber soled Paraboots replaced with leather?

Leisurely Loafing

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are two shade of cafe chambords? It seems like the pair with tonal welt stitching is a darker brown than the pair with constrasting welt stitching but both are sold as cafe.

Attachments

• IMG_6401.jpeg
    IMG_6401.jpeg
    246.4 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_6394.jpeg
    IMG_6394.jpeg
    532.5 KB · Views: 811

K. Nights

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if there are two shade of cafe chambords? It seems like the pair with tonal welt stitching is a darker brown than the pair with constrasting welt stitching but both are sold as cafe.
I think they are the same and the difference is just lighting. If you look closely, the welt stitching on the darker pair is actually not tonal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics