• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ostrich vs. Gator Loafers?

Thoughts on these loafers

• Perfectly fine as an FU shoe in your rotation

Votes: 10 47.6%
  • FU, burn them with fire

Votes: 11 52.4%

• Total voters

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know just about everything here is just about non-SF approved.

First a disclaimer: I own no "exotic" leather belts or shoes (unless you consider cordovan exotic).

Second disclaimer: All of my shoes are EG, C&J, BB, Alden, RL, and Ferragamo. However, I do own one pair of Gucci loafers that I have unseccessfully been trying to kill for four years now but they just don't seem to wear out and they are very comfortable.

I would never have considered ostritch shoes, but I was looking for something to replace my Gucci loafers that get a lot of wear over the summer. I purchased the Marlow cordovan loafer thinking that it could be a replacement, but it is just too heavy-duty and gives me blisters when worn without socks.

I know these are really FU, but that is kind of the point anyway.

Im I crazy to like these? Thoughts, opionins, welcome.

Flamesuit on...

302590_mrp_in_l.jpg

302590_mrp_fr_l2.jpg

302590_mrp_e1_l4.jpg

302590_mrp_cu_l3.jpg

Last edited:

wing8tes_qw

Reaction score
I.ve seen better but they look fine. I understand the apprehension with exotic stuff. I actually asked kiton brioni many many years ago on advice with exotics. I never looked back and own pleanty of it.

Im wearing a carmel colored alligator belt right now.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I.ve seen better but they look fine. I understand the apprehension with exotic stuff. I actually asked kiton brioni many many years ago on advice with exotics. I never looked back and own pleanty of it.
Im wearing a carmel colored alligator belt right now.

I have actually been considering an alligator belt for a while. So far I have just dabbled with a watch strap and wallet.

I appreciate the input. I picked up the loafers at 50% off at Mr. Porter--I wouldn't have considered them at full price. I actually like the sides without the quills better than the quilled toe portion even though I know that is the expensive part.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm just not a fan of ostrich. The tips look like blems to me. I prefer croc.

I would actually prefer allegator but don't know if I could pull it off. I'm 31 by the way.

OlSarge

Reaction score
Most ostrich I've seen is caramel and I don't like it one bit. However, in that dark color they aren't half bad, especially since you didn't pay full market price for them.

HLow

Reaction score
I would most definitely pick gator over ostrich. And IMHO, If you can pull off ostrich, you shouldn't have a problem with gator/croc!

But i must say the loafers look pretty good and would be an interesting addition
smile.gif
And i do agree with wing8tes_qw, exotics do have an inexorable charm, even for me who can't afford any

cincydavid

Reaction score
I'm not wild about the narrow strap, but the hides and shape of the shoe are cool as can be...do I have big enough gonads to wear them? Not sure, but I do like the way they look.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would consider gator if I had come across some on sale in this price range. I agree that the color is the thing that draws me to these. In addition, I have the same shoe in calf and it has served me well and is very comfortable.

Since finding SF I thought I would never buy Gucci again but then I read that whole thread about how they hand make their loafers and I understood how mine were holding up so well.

Anyone have a link to that thread?

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think croc or gator look more classic than ostrich. I have a soft spot in my heart for tan or "peanut brittle" colored croc.

Last edited:

kungapa

Reaction score
I happen to have a soft spot for ostrich. I have a pair of tan chukka's made out of Rhea - slightly smaller and more tightly spaced feather dots - and they see a lot of wear in the summer.

marblehouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ostrich and most exotic leathers look primal.

One of the many comforts of modern life is being able to choose shoes that do not have grotesque pores all over them.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ostrich and most exotic leathers look primal.

One of the many comforts of modern life is being able to choose shoes that do not have grotesque pores all over them.

Good stuff. However, certain things are better in a primal fashion. Sex comes to mind.

marblehouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good stuff. However, certain things are better in a primal fashion. Sex comes to mind.

Yes. Again, yes.

But, if you want primal aesthetics, then I suggest you bed an appropriate lioness. The sex will be barbaric and her pores will match your shoes:

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
babara