• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Orslow

Mavidpark

Reaction score
105 is pretty safe for us with bigger thighs. I can’t fit my thigs in any of the Levi’s vintage collection 501s for example.

About the roping. Not all chainstitch machines create roping. There must be diffenrence in the feeding speed of the bottom feed dog and top sewing foot and that causes the fabric to twist and wrinkle. End result we are so interested in is basically a flaw in the sewing machines. This flaw has been corrected in modern chainstitch machines and these machines mostly sew perfectly flat seams. Best roping in my denim collection is by Union Special 43200G. Luckily the place I use for hemming just bought their own 43200G.
Thanks for the reply! The jeans I purchased weren't from the vintage collection but their cheaper standard 501 selvedge line.

I found some used 105 for a very good price, but concerned due to all the varying size charts for orslow on the major denim sites (standard & strange, blueowl, canoeclub, etc. So hard for me to gauge whether the thigh would fit without an actual photo of the measurement.

As for the chainstich info, this is very helpful and honestly gives me alot of excitement for denim. I've avoided expensive lightwash denim for years out of the fear of getting the "flat" clean hem look you described. Did not know roping could be revived after hem as long a proper chain stitch is performed.

I am now considering the drakes options as well as I am hearing that the top block is much more forgiving. Was always concerned because of the longer lengths and need to hem. But may look for a good deal and send to a proper tailor.

Mavidpark

Reaction score
also forgive me for the rookie question. But this is what the seller sent me of his orslow 105 2 year wash. These were hemmed down 3 inches. Does this hem look proper?
IMG_6370 (1).PNG

htinlinn

Reaction score
If, by proper, you mean chain stitch hemming, then, no. It doesn’t look like chain stitch hem.

SilentPartner

Reaction score
Adding to the questions about 107s and thighs... Do they stretch much at all? Just wondering because I have a new pair that fits great everywhere except the thighs which are pretty snug. I assumed they'd probably shift a half inch but if that's not true then I should probably cut my losses and move them on.

Mavidpark

Reaction score
Adding to the questions about 107s and thighs... Do they stretch much at all? Just wondering because I have a new pair that fits great everywhere except the thighs which are pretty snug. I assumed they'd probably shift a half inch but if that's not true then I should probably cut my losses and move them on.
this is my exact fear. Been pining for a pair of 105s, but the thigh area seems tight based on the measurements I'm seeing online. I might have to pivot again :(

Ash206

Reaction score
this is my exact fear. Been pining for a pair of 105s, but the thigh area seems tight based on the measurements I'm seeing online. I might have to pivot again :(
I tried one on at Glass Wing in Seattle and it felt quite tight all around but the folks assured they slightly stretch. I’m quite happy now after a few days of wear and a wash.

shopcanoeclub

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
If, by proper, you mean chain stitch hemming, then, no. It doesn’t look like chain stitch hem.
idk it actually does to me (i hem all denim at canoe club) - just looks like whoever hemmed them had super tight tension/stitch length. you can kinda see the texture on the overlap (which is done well/evenly, especially good it being on the outseam)

trudeljb

Reaction score
Apologies if this isn't the correct forum, and please direct me to where the best place is but wondering if anyone can help with a legit check on a pair of New Yorkers in Khaki on Grailed? I'm keen to grab a pair and seems like all of the Size 0's (whenever co's have sale's) are immediately sold out. The Khaki color in the photos seems more grey but I found a few photos on Blue Owl that seem to be a close match.

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
105 is pretty safe for us with bigger thighs. I can’t fit my thigs in any of the Levi’s vintage collection 501s for example.

About the roping. Not all chainstitch machines create roping. There must be diffenrence in the feeding speed of the bottom feed dog and top sewing foot and that causes the fabric to twist and wrinkle. End result we are so interested in is basically a flaw in the sewing machines. This flaw has been corrected in modern chainstitch machines and these machines mostly sew perfectly flat seams. Best roping in my denim collection is by Union Special 43200G. Luckily the place I use for hemming just bought their own 43200G.
I can't fit my thighs in 105... 101 should be fine for me but I haven't tried them yet.

henrip

Reaction score
Thought I got problematic thighs 🙈. @sussi I recall you bought white 105s some time ago but is my memory playing tricks or have you hitted the gym (leg days) harder lately 💪?

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought I got problematic thighs 🙈. @sussi I recall you bought white 105s some time ago but is my memory playing tricks or have you hitted the gym (leg days) harder lately 💪?
I got white 105 and they were slim in thighs but 2 years and no wash 105 in the same size were too tight. I have also sold white 105 cause I prefer looser fit.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got white 105 and they were slim in thighs but 2 years and no wash 105 in the same size were too tight. I have also sold white 105 cause I prefer looser fit.
Get you some 101's, they'll be perfect

leephil

Reaction score
I'm interested in 101s in one wash but curious about length. Would be good if they're shorter than 105s as I need to hem off about 2 inches in my appropriate waist size (for 105s)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads