• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Orb Audio

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Piobaire
Well, just got the UPS notification, will have them Wednesday, so will play with them this weekend
smile.gif

I hope you enjoy them! What electronics are you using with them?

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Artisan Fan
I hope you enjoy them! What electronics are you using with them?

Nothing special. I have an Onkyo that's several years old, that I use for the outdoor speakers. It's a 2.1, 100 a channel, and was on the high end of their receivers when I bought it. I figure the power is clean enough for mucking around with a $240 pair of speakers.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
Nothing special. I have an Onkyo that's several years old, that I use for the outdoor speakers. It's a 2.1, 100 a channel, and was on the high end of their receivers when I bought it. I figure the power is clean enough for mucking around with a $240 pair of speakers.

Should be fine. I was just curious...

theyare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have had a set of 5 (including one mod2 as my center) for about 3 years. I am by no means an audiophile, but the sound/design/price are all great in my book. Got them in the stainless along with a pair of the HOSS floorstands which are heavy duty and very cool.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Well, I tried them out.

I have two Infinity outdoor speakers in my outdoor lounging area. I have a KLH powered 10" sub that sits outside too, all powered off an older Onkyo receiver. So I just wedged the Orbs into the Infinitys and fired them up. Very clear and precise sound, a little lacking in the high end (probably due to the lacking of a discreet tweeter). With the sub going, they give a very good and full sound. Turn off the sub, and I think the Infinitys give a better sound alone. With the sub, I prefer the Orbs.

So I went back and did some more reading. Apparently, the Orb sub is comparable to a Sunfire at about 3/5's the price. Next installment, about March 2011, when I move into the new house
wink.gif

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by audiophilia
You want round and cute, bud, but sound very good try http://www.roundsound.com/

Anthony's a master.

Not much to be a master of here. Both are just spun aluminum housings with cheap fullrange drivers and maybe a notch filter installed. The Orb and the base Gallo are probably about the same, except that the latter is pricier. (And maybe better finished; I've not seen the Orbs.)

But if they work well enough, that's cool. I think they look neat. Still, For the price, I would personally much prefer the little KEF 1005-series egg-shaped minispeakers, because their bespoke 3" Uni-Q coincident driver is way better than the OEM stuff Gallo and Orb use. Superior highs, better dispersion, and less distortion because the motor is designed to a higher level. (Extensive ventilation in the polymer frame that's basically a scale-model knockoff of defunct subwoofer maker TC Sounds' excellent basket, copper sleeve on the motor, etc.) On eBay the KEF sats are about $125 each. Pair them with a decent small sub (Orb charges too much for theirs) and the results would likely be quite nice for the cash outlay.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
^ I'm guessing from the iGents handle, we're just supposed to ignore his misinformation?

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
All I'm saying is there's nothing to choose between the Orbs and the Gallos, except for price. And the Orbs win that battle. But my preference would be something else entirely.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sprezzatura2010
I've not seen the Orbs.

But you know how they sound? Cool. Do you also review other people's clothing on discussion boards?

Sprezzatura2010

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
But you know how they sound? Cool. Do you also review other people's clothing on discussion boards?
I know what driver they use, have heard it (auditioned it for car use) and seen how it measures. And I know that they have, at best, a single notch filter to control its response, so that's really quite good enough. They're good values for the money considering the parts used. Contrary to what the deaf idiots on this board and others would have you believe, audio is engineering, not art.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I know what driver they use, have heard it (auditioned it for car use) and seen how it measures. And I know that they have, at best, a single notch filter to control its response, so that's really quite good enough. They're good values for the money considering the parts used.

Contrary to what the deaf idiots on this board and others would have you believe, audio is engineering, not art.

Not much to be a master of here. Both are just spun aluminum housings with cheap fullrange drivers and maybe a notch filter installed.

I know I am not worthy to question your opinions, but if audio is indeed engineering, why then did you only comment on the aesthetics of the Orb speaker housing, vs. its engineering pro and cons (because I can think of at least one very pertinent pro). And why did you state the speaker housing was aluminum when in fact it's high carbon steel? You speak of it having a notch filter, when not only does it not have one, no speaker like it should, as to my limited understanding of speaker engineering, this is employed when a crossover is present. Help me out...do full range drivers usually have internal crossovers? And as to claims of "cheap," I thought using a Neodymium underhung magnet, vs. the usual ferrite ceramic donut, is a sign of above average part quality and thoughtful engineering.

I fully admit I lack deep knowledge in this topic, but from the little I know, it would seem you are talking out of your ass, at least when it comes to this particular speaker and when to employ a notch filter in general. Help me out, I'm willing to see the error of my thinking here.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know I am not worthy to question your opinions, but if audio is indeed engineering, why then did you only comment on the aesthetics of the Orb speaker housing, vs. its engineering pro and cons (because I can think of at least one very pertinent pro). And why did you state the speaker housing was aluminum when in fact it's high carbon steel? You speak of it having a notch filter, when not only does it not have one, no speaker like it should, as to my limited understanding of speaker engineering, this is employed when a crossover is present. Help me out...do full range drivers usually have internal crossovers? And as to claims of "cheap," I thought using a Neodymium underhung magnet, vs. the usual ferrite ceramic donut, is a sign of above average part quality and thoughtful engineering.

I fully admit I lack deep knowledge in this topic, but from the little I know, it would seem you are talking out of your ass, at least when it comes to this particular speaker and when to employ a notch filter in general. Help me out, I'm willing to see the error of my thinking here.

crossovers are between drivers.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by GQgeek
crossovers are between drivers.

That is my understanding too. So if you have something designed for use with a crossover, the notch filter, knowing this is a full range driver and saying it probably has a notch filter, shows you are probably talking out of your ass, right? I could have that wrong, and this isn't what a notch filter is for, but to my knowledge, you'd not employ one in a speaker that lacks a crossover.

A Y

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Notch filters can be useful on full-range drivers. For example, you may want to suppress a resonance in the driver.

--Andre

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads