• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Oral Hygiene?

mr.loverman

Reaction score
So I floss and brush morning and night. Should I also clean my teeth after lunch? I do sometimes but I fear I might wear away the enamel if I make it a habit.

I have used crest whitestrips in the past and found them very effective. I went through a pack about a year ago and am considering going for another round. should I be worried abouth harming my teeth or gums?

any other tips for great teeth and a healthy mouth?

z50

Reaction score
Some toothbrushes are softer than others. The one I have at work is for sensitive teeth, and the one at home's a regular toothbrush.

If you're worried about it, then maybe just floss and rinse for now, and ask your dentist the next time you go.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mr.loverman
So I floss and brush morning and night. Should I also clean my teeth after lunch? I do sometimes but I fear I might wear away the enamel if I make it a habit.

I have used crest whitestrips in the past and found them very effective. I went through a pack about a year ago and am considering going for another round. should I be worried abouth harming my teeth or gums?

any other tips for great teeth and a healthy mouth?

Something i've recently added to my routine that's pretty easy (I'm lazy so you know it's really easy) and effective (I think, not that I have to smell my own breath) is to use a tongue scrubber in the morning. I read an article saying that most of the bad breath is from an accumulation of bacteria and a lot of that happens on the tongue. anyway, they're cheap to buy, try it out.

Cavalier

Reaction score
Tongue scraper is SO necessary and SO neglected by most people. Seriously I can't stress how important they are! Your teeth isn't what gets smelly and nasty, it's your tongue.

All that white stuff on your tongue is nastiness ESPECIALLY if you smoke anything.

Don't try to clean it completely in one day or it'll get irritated. But over the course of a few days you should be able to clean your tongue so it doesn't smell nasty.

Cavalier

Reaction score
Also, I highly recommend checking out the tooth pastes available at you're local health food store.

I love toothpaste, and have used all the regular ones at the drug store (crest pro health, rembrandt premium), but my favorite is BY FAR "Auromere Ayurvedic" which I pick up at Wholefoods.

I really like the light texture of it, and it really cleans up my teeth nicely and freshens up well without being some thick ultra minty goop like the larger commercial brands. Also this stuff really rinses out, leaving your mouth feeling so fresh and clean unlike the commercial brands that leaves your mouth still coated in that crap.

Cavalier

Reaction score
Anyone ever used any +$20 tubes of tooth paste before? Was wondering how they were... I've always wanted to buy a $30-40 tube.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use sensodyne, as it is very gentle, even though it is a bit sweet. As said, a tongue scraper is very important and neglected by most.

On some days I will use Listerine after lunch.

mensimageconsultant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you don't let substances sit on your teeth and stain them, rewhitening shouldn't be needed. Whitening probably is safe for teeth and gums, but it's not a certainty. Some components in toothpaste are believed to be harmful, but special products such as Enamel Saver do not contain them. Brushing with a minimally abrasive toothpaste is unlikely to do harm, except in a few circumstances that are seemingly acidity-related.

Brushing isn't only a matter of health. Aesthetics and odor are other reasons for cleaning the mouth. Chewing sugarless gum and rinsing with water are some substitutes for brushing throughout the day.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads