• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

WhereNext

Reaction score
Okay, you got this. No need to ask anyone for permission to order a fabric. Youre a grown man capable of making your own decisions. I have complete faith in you. You should go to pitti and show off your suit. I remember early on, I wanted to do an electric blue suit. A tailor wouldn’t let me do it. So I went to a different tailor. That electric blue suit is a closet queen these days.
It’s odd to me that you read any of my posts as “asking for permission” to pick a particular fabric or as expressions of being so unsure of my decision I needed your “faith”. I am sorry that your electric blue trauma has led you to develop an outsized “won’t someone please think of the children!” response to anyone ordering something you wouldn’t; this too shall pass.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s odd to me that you read any of my posts as “asking for permission” to pick a particular fabric or as expressions of being so unsure of my decision I needed your “faith”. I am sorry that your electric blue trauma has led you to develop an outsized “won’t someone please think of the children!” response to anyone ordering something you wouldn’t; this too shall pass.
You got the wrong guy. I said none of those things. I suggested a fabric that I thought would be better suited for a suit. Didn’t even criticize the fabric you selected.

I’m just pointing out, you expressed concerns about the fabric you selected. Others agreed with your concerns and you became belligerent. I could care less how you spend your money. That’s between you and whatever tailor you choose.

WhereNext

Reaction score
You got the wrong guy. I said none of those things. I suggested a fabric that I thought would be better suited for a suit. Didn’t even criticize the fabric you selected.

I’m just pointing out, you expressed concerns about the fabric you selected. Others agreed with your concerns and you became belligerent. I could care less how you spend your money. That’s between you and whatever tailor you choose.
Bless your heart and best wishes on your future endeavors.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bless your heart and best wishes on your future endeavors.
Translation: whoops I got the wrong guy.

Youre the man. You got this. I expect to see you rocking it at pitti.

feijaocozido

Reaction score
well, I would list some shops but I haven't been to any of them in person but have heard of them from friends.

1: INDUSTRIAL No.741-1, JU LU ROAD, JING AN DIST, SHANGHAI, CHINA
2: MANDOMBUGS Room216-217, Building 1, High Street Loft, No508 JiaShan Road, Xuhui District, Shanghai, China (I used them for Coherence stuff)
3:SARTORIAL Shanghai (They carry a lot of brands, I feel like they are the mainland version of The Armoury)
4: ROILUXE High-end shoe store carrying G&G, Edward Green, George Cleverley, Stefano Bemer, Norman, etc.
5: The Refinery's interesting jackets
6: Rainier & Co. I think they do English-style bespoke suit
7: The Rare Bespoke
8:Medallion Shoes carry a lot of high-end shoes but they carry Acme shoes (Chinese Handwelted shoes. )

Yeah, I can only think on top of my head for this list. Hope you will check out some of the places.
Recently went into Mandombugs, great store (a bit hard to find) and they have an online shop on Taobao so you can take advantage of the Taobao discount. Picked up the Al II trench in olive from Coherence for RMB 11,980 (~$1650) which I thought was decent. List price is RMB 13,800. Also big selection of Baudoin & Lange shoes.

Sartorial had a lot of interesting stuff (Ambrosi, Ring Jacket, Orazio Luciano, Pirozzi) but you might need to make an appt. Went there on the weekend and it was closed when I showed up, much to the anger of my wife who was in tow.

If you’re at Medallion you have Rivets also close by.

Frank’s Store in the north is an interesting place for denim/workwear, the one in Puxi is too small.

There’s an Ascot Chang out towards Hongqiao.

NOOS (Never out of style) in Jing An Kerry Center or BFC for English shoes (C&J and Edward Green), Andersen belts, and other accessories.

I want to check out The Ficus but haven’t had time.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
no experience but I always felt just a novelty thing, might consider trouser but that's about it

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The solaro suit is a great classic, here Dalcuore for Simon Crompton.

Screenshot (1569).png

Screenshot (1570).png

CLH03

Reaction score
And with that I wonder do you have any experience with 'Solaro'? @psb recently posted on the What are you wearing thread and @DougDevious commented that the fabric was solaro. I googled it, read a bit about it, and now I'm curious.

Any one else have experience with it?
It always kind of seems like an oxymoron to me.

The colors can be really interesting, but the original Solaro from Smith Woolens is like a 13 oz suit that is supposed to be worn in the warmer months. Doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Last edited:

DorianGreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It always kind of seems like an oxymoron to me.

The colors can be really interesting, but the original Solaris from Smith Woolens is like a 13 oz suit that is supposed to be worn in the warmer months. Doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Yes, it was developed by Smith Woollens in the 1907 for the British troops located in tropical climates. Maybe it's not the best option to stay cool in summer, but it's a very cool cloth, as I see.

Screenshot (1571).png

https://www.permanentstyle.com/2023/10/the-appeal-of-solaro-suit-from-cristina-dalcuore.html

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I look really bad in that color tone (solaro) in general in jacket so definitely some personal bias

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And with that I wonder do you have any experience with 'Solaro'? @psb recently posted on the What are you wearing thread and @DougDevious commented that the fabric was solaro. I googled it, read a bit about it, and now I'm curious.

Any one else have experience with it?
For me, it’s too hot. It’s marketed as a summer fabric, but it’s more of a spring / fall fabric. Maybe winter in a warm climate.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads