• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did not, originally wore it with a cummerbund, but the fiancé isn't a fan of them. I'm not worried with a stock fabric like this from VBC, any variation will be virtually invisible.

did kotaro charge you extra for a tuxedo? I know some makers charge extra because (and im not entirely sure - this is my understanding) the lapel facing is more work

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread seems like the right place for this sad news. As good a tailor as he was, his life story could be a Hollywood movie. This obit is from the front page of NYT.
View attachment 2154553

I posted this on Friday 3/22

I met him at a Trunk Show at Nieman Marcus in Palo Alto probably 25 years ago.
A very gracious and honest man. He dissuaded me from getting an MTM suit via
Nieman's because they had no model that would satisfy my natural shoulder
taste. Instead, he recommended Brooks MTM through his own firm. I never followed
up on it and doubt that he had an an event at the small Palo Alto Brooks. Since
then BB has become a mid-level operation with endless sales.

QUOTE REPLY
Rep

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
did kotaro charge you extra for a tuxedo? I know some makers charge extra because (and im not entirely sure - this is my understanding) the lapel facing is more work

My impression is that tailors tend to charge more for dinner jackets because of the materials used in the facing and trimmings. For example, the required silk grosgrain/satin facing and braiding is very expensive relative to other trimmings. In some cases, a length of facing can be almost as much as a length of cloth. In contrast, a dinner jacket with self-facing is merely an odd jacket in terms of material costs.

Reaction score
I have begun my first bespoke project. It's a double-breasted two-piece city suit with braced trousers from Whitcomb & Shaftesbury in Dugdale 3406:
dug00770_1.jpg

(I don't know why Dugdale's sample is so linty, in real life there's no white fiber on the cloth). I have requested to have it made in the W&S factory in Chennai. I haven't had my first fitting yet but will take some pictures to share with you then. Once the suit is done I will be saving up for my second bespoke commission: an odd waistcoat and striped trousers, so I can wear the jacket as black lounge.

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have begun my first bespoke project. It's a double-breasted two-piece city suit with braced trousers from Whitcomb & Shaftesbury in Dugdale 3406:
dug00770_1.jpg

(I don't know why Dugdale's sample is so linty, in real life there's no white fiber on the cloth). I have requested to have it made in the W&S factory in Chennai. I haven't had my first fitting yet but will take some pictures to share with you then. Once the suit is done I will be saving up for my second bespoke commission: an odd waistcoat and striped trousers, so I can wear the jacket as black lounge.

The fibers from the Dugdale stock photo reflect milled(flannel style) finish.

Sreezy36

Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is interesting as when I looked at and felt the cloth swatch in person it had none of the feeling or look of flannel. To my eye and touch it was more like a classic worsted herringbone.

I have a milled finish flannel that looks like a classic worsted herringbone with a matte finish as well. Depending on the length, some may be more milled than others. But in general, the fuzziness if from the milling. It gives it a vintage style look.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The "rollino" is out of control.
I think it’s hard to make such a statement without seeing the garment in person, or minimally, seeing a photo of the garment on the client.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads