• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't watched a football match since the early 90s. I couldn't care less about football. I also only argue about the game with people from countries with at least five World Cup wins. Anything less than that means you are from somewhere that does not really understand the game.

BTW, new project funded.

View attachment 2048789
Not to say I LIKE it, but I think this is more flattering to your midsection than a number of your other suits.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What book is this?

Italian Tailoring: A Glimpse into the World of Sartorial Masters
By
Journalist Yoshimi Hasegawa

She works for vbc in asia, I believe. I found it a good overview book but it didn’t dig into the weeds. Personally, I think the omission of some tailors is interesting. Namely, corcos & guida in Florence. F. Caraceni & Sartoria crescent in Milan. And in Naples, don’t get me started: including Ambrosi & neither Cerrato & Pino pommella. But also, for jacketmakers, I think missing zizolfi. But also, I think, in Naples, it’s hardly an insiders guide to Naples. Spend enough time around these forums, you’ll undoubtedly hear about Ambrosi, Ciardi, Pirozzi, panico, dalcuore, Rubinacci, zizolfi, even Sabino. There are some elements of history that are interesting but it’s hardly an insiders guide. And it could be that the smaller houses don’t want to be known. Noteably, every house mentioned starts at 3000€ minimum for a suit, whereas there are plenty of Sartorias that start closer to 2000€ if not 1500€.

Also, I found the inclusion of a Sartoria like sciamat very curious. But I guess they do have a quite distinctive style. Anyways. I think it’s a good overall guide & there could be an entire encyclopedia written for a more comprehensive guide. Or an entire book devoted to each region or major city (Milan, Rome, Florence, & Naples, but even Naples might need 2 volumes).

Ghotihead2001

Reaction score
Steed fitting today….

Attachments

• e8d71f39-5b86-4f4a-940a-d2be3de088d5.jpeg
    e8d71f39-5b86-4f4a-940a-d2be3de088d5.jpeg
    123 KB · Views: 183

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Whatshapanin

Reaction score
I suspect it would be mine as well.

My favorite gun club is this: https://foxflannel.com/products/check-2 (TD50)

The problem is it's quite heavy. The best alternative I can see is https://foxflannel.com/products/brown-gunclub-check-jacketing which I don't like as much.

Hmmmmm

I suspect it would be mine as well.

My favorite gun club is this: https://foxflannel.com/products/check-2 (TD50)

The problem is it's quite heavy. The best alternative I can see is https://foxflannel.com/products/brown-gunclub-check-jacketing which I don't like as much.
Not sure if its still available but here's one you may want to consider from Abraham Moon

Attachments

• IMG-20230105-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20230105-WA0003.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 143

gimpwiz

Reaction score
View attachment 2050679
I had one. It was quite nice. Not sure where you're located, but for NYC it wasn't bad! More tightly woven than some tweeds but not overly heavy/warm.

Thanks! I live in san jose so my use out of a 480gm tightly woven tweed would be... well, probably higher than one might think, but only because I'd go out of my way to wear it. What did you end up doing with yours?

Not sure if its still available but here's one you may want to consider from Abraham Moon
That's pretty cool, 310gm is more my speed. If it's available I'll get a swatch. I want something that feels adequately rugged for the pattern, whether that's worsted flannel, tweed, etc. Smooth worsted wouldn't be it for me _I think_. Dunno. I'll figure it out. That might be my next commission in fact. I have a pretty heavyweight scratchy tweed Ribonacci (second-hand) that I love, unsure what the weight is but it cannot be low. I'd probably bring it and maybe a couple others along when looking at swatches and make my decision based on that.

fRBFATH.jpg

Crispyj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sold it
Thanks! I live in san jose so my use out of a 480gm tightly woven tweed would be... well, probably higher than one might think, but only because I'd go out of my way to wear it. What did you end up doing with yours?

That's pretty cool, 310gm is more my speed. If it's available I'll get a swatch. I want something that feels adequately rugged for the pattern, whether that's worsted flannel, tweed, etc. Smooth worsted wouldn't be it for me _I think_. Dunno. I'll figure it out. That might be my next commission in fact. I have a pretty heavyweight scratchy tweed Ribonacci (second-hand) that I love, unsure what the weight is but it cannot be low. I'd probably bring it and maybe a couple others along when looking at swatches and make my decision based on that.

fRBFATH.jpg

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
I'm also in the "I need a gunclub" boat. My liability stash is all flannel and tweed so at this point I'm watching this thread and the unfunded liability thread to see if someone posts up a solid choice for a S/S or three season gunclub. Ideally I want to find something that I can wear with most odd trousers for use as my "go-to" warm weather sportcoat.

jonathanS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

fRBFATH.jpg
Personally, a 450g tweed is a perfect jacket for San Francisco. It’s all in your head. Reminds me of one of Alden’s sartorials. He wrote:

I know I have told this story a few times, but here it goes again.

A couple decades ago I was visiting the premier men’s shop in Paris wearing a particularly handsome tweed jacket. The shop was top drawer in every respect and had a team of tailors on the premises. My coat was immediately noticed and a few of the sales staff came over to me to see it more closely. After a few minutes, the manager of the store and resident expert on all things sartorial came over as well. “Nice coat!”, he said with some admiration in his voice, “That’a a great tweed. Looks nice and sturdy like old tweeds used to be. Too bad they are so heavy.” I smiled, thanked him and suggested he try my coat on to see if it were too heavy or not. We were about the same size and when he slipped the coat on he said with some surprise, “Oh no, this coat feels very nice to wear. Lovely. It’s stout but nothing over the top.” “What weight cloth do you reckon it is?”, I asked. “Oh it’s got to be at least 400 maybe 450 gms. Pretty heavy for most people.” I reinstalled the coat onto my shoulders as I revealed the truth to him, “That coat is made from an 800 gms Cheviot tweed.” The choir of sales staff gasped in unison “800 gms Tweed! OH MY GOD!” A few of them nearly passed out.

“Yes”, I replied with a grin, “and this little experiment of mine has proven that the difference between 400 gms and 800 gms tweed is all in your head!”

to the contrary; because San Francisco is so cold year round (and those who know San Francisco / Bay Area includes San Jose), the 450g tweed jacket is a year round jacket! Perfect for San Francisco weather!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EliseoMackey