• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gimpwiz

Reaction score
Yes, the weather in SF is famously the same as SJ, as SJ is after all part of the San Francisco bay area! At least, so I keep telling myself when I go to SF, but the weather there never seems to listen to my assertions. Decides to be 30F cooler. How rude.

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally (almost) ready. Shantung silk dinner jacket. A shame the texture does not show up in the pics.
IMG_3591.jpg IMG_3594.jpg

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally (almost) ready. Shantung silk dinner jacket. A shame the texture does not show up in the pics.
View attachment 2050833 View attachment 2050835
Was it a conscious decision to go for the higher buttoning waistcoat? My personal preference for DJs is a lower buttoning waistcoat. I was gonna get that silk but did not pull the trigger on it as I thought it was too lightweight? How does it drape?

Reaction score
Shantung silk is more of a medium weight silk. It's also very dense so it doesn't flow so much as maintain it's shape. Really nice shot silk. See the image for the general texture.

Attachments

• Polish_20231019_134909306.jpg
    Polish_20231019_134909306.jpg
    602.2 KB · Views: 109

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was it a conscious decision to go for the higher buttoning waistcoat? My personal preference for DJs is a lower buttoning waistcoat. I was gonna get that silk but did not pull the trigger on it as I thought it was too lightweight? How does it drape?
I don't think the buttoning stance of the waistcoat is particularly high. It is in line with my other vests. As for the silk, it drapes ok but it wrinkles just by looking at it. I don't regret the project, but we will see how it performs when I wear it for the first time.

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shantung silk is more of a medium weight silk. It's also very dense so it doesn't flow so much as maintain it's shape. Really nice shot silk. See the image for the general texture.
I agree. It is dense, does not breather, and drapes ok (as it maintains its shape). However, it wrinkles like there is no tomorrow. I assume it is going to wear very warm.

The Dirty Pigeon

Reaction score
View attachment 2050833 View attachment 2050835
Looks nice. I just started conversations, yesterday, with a tailor about commissioning a 4x1 dinner jacket like this in deep burgundy velvet. I’m concerned that it’s a style that isn’t common for many tailors and easy to get wrong since it seems like the proportions have to be just right. Did you have to give much direction on button placement, etc?

bernoulli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks nice. I just started conversations, yesterday, with a tailor about commissioning a 4x1 dinner jacket like this in deep burgundy velvet. I’m concerned that it’s a style that isn’t common for many tailors and easy to get wrong since it seems like the proportions have to be just right. Did you have to give much direction on button placement, etc?
No, but I have surpassed the mythical number of 11 commissions with the same tailor. My main concern was the shape of the lapel. We discussed it at length. It met my expectations (but did not surpass them).

The Chai

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With 4x1 i prefer a significantly lower buttoning stance...just under my navel

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
elliebelle