• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OK to wear slip-ons to interview?

Jaxson612

Reaction score
If it were a job you thought you really wanted, why push it. Push the boundaries AFTER you get the job!

Ringo

Reaction score
I think it's fine. Most people your age will be wearing crappy shoes anyway, and a lot of people in "business" do not have a great sense of style. The only time I can imagine someone caring is if you wore something that was really attention grabbing, like a velvet jacket, bright colored shoes, torn/beatup shoes and clothes, etc. Other items, while not necessarily "inappropriate", that could affect people's impression of you would be things like bow ties or any other item of clothing that has some kind of social stigma attached to it.

I know this has been discussed before, but as a younger guy (mid 20's), I also avoid pocket squares during interviews, as people almost always notice it, and generally speaking, I don't want people to notice my clothing (other than the fact that it fits well and I look put together). I think the older, more credible/established you are, the more you can get away with affectations in business.

Just my $0.02.

longskate88

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by jkidd41011
No many companies won't know exact trends, but they know what fits their culture, and if what you wear deviates too much from that, you probably won't get hired.

I work as an accountant for an insurance company (granted in the real estate develpment management affiliate) but you see the way way certain people dress and you can almost tell what area they work in by their dress. My boss told me you will always see our CEO in a dark suit, white shirt, red tie, and if he want's to go casual he'll wear a blue shirt on Fridays.

LOL
laugh.gif

yawn123_#21

Reaction score
i doubt an interviewer would disqualify you over wearing slip-ons over laces. that being said you may disqualify yourself if you find yourself nervous or uncomfortable throughout the interview wondering which pair of shoes you shoulda wore. if the slip-ons are conservative and appropriate and comfortable just wear those and stop thinking about it. if your interviewer is staring at your shoes you are not engaging enough.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by longskate88
I work as an accountant for an insurance company (granted in the real estate develpment management affiliate) but you see the way way certain people dress and you can almost tell what area they work in by their dress. My boss told me you will always see our CEO in a dark suit, white shirt, red tie, and if he want's to go casual he'll wear a blue shirt on Fridays
LOL
laugh.gif

It's true, we have very few '"casual" days, and our idea of a casual day is you don't have to wear a tie. The senior officers you'll see on those days will wear trousers, sport coat, tie. I won't complain because it's given me justification to upgrade my wardrobe because I can "wear it for work". Take for example the navy Canali suit I was able to purchase at Saks' after X-mas sale.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by longskate88
Is it OK to wear a pair of nice black slip-ons to an interview or at the max, with a suit? On my slips, the pant leg covers the area that WOULD have laces, so you can't see that area when standing...making them look the same as lace-ups. So is this OK to do, or are they not formal enough?
worship.gif

My advice to you is invest in a good pair of black lace up dress shoes and a Navy Suit for interviews. I bought a pair of Bostonians Wing Tips when I was in college that I paid $100 for (back in 1991) and I had them up until two years I decided to retire them because the style was starting to look a bit dated. Now you can't get Bostonians to last you a year because they are making them in China (hence why I am switching over to AE). The Navy suit was a Polo University Club.

There are some great deals to be had here on the B&S section...I'd take advantage of it.

FidelCashflow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jaxson612
If it were a job you thought you really wanted, why push it. Push the boundaries AFTER you get the job!

Only a SF'er would think slip-on dress shoes are "pushing it" at a job interview.
eh.gif

The OP is in the US, and the majority of dress shoes brought and sold in the US nowadays are slip-ons. It's the new norm, and the vast majority of people won't notice or care. As long as you don't wear runners to an interview, no one will give a ****.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SkinnyGoomba
PICT0081-1.jpg
..*******!

You are sooooooooooooo fired!!! Seriously, I see you shaved. I recommend that the fingers to be curled up to avoid the "Karloff as the Monster" effect... I like the interior very much.

johnny_flapjack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Three thoughts:

1) I've spent my whole career in insurance (company and brokerage) and Alden tassel loafers or AE Graylands are ubiquitous - at least in the midwest.

2) Given the choice I'd go ahead and grab a pair of conservative lace-ups to wear to the interview. I have no problem with tassels with a suit, but I'd probably hit ebay for a new pair of AE Park Avenues for $150 and wear those for the interview - and as a staple shoe for the next forever.

3) Statement #2 might be completely influenced by hanging out here. It's entirely possible that I wore black kiltie tassel wingtip loafers to an interview when I was young b/c I had no idea what I was doing at the time.

jkidd41011

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would wear something like this now that I am hired:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatP...lt_color=Black

And I'll second Johnny Flapjack on the Park Avenues, that would be a workhorse shoe for anyone in the business world. Back a few months ago beofre I realy started looking into the quality level of the shoes I would have suggested Cole Haan or Johnston Murphy, which I still would if you could find a pair made in Italy. Unfortunately those are getting harder to find if still existant new.

Tardek

Reaction score
Slip-on shoes will not help you in the interview, but at the end of the day the interview probably won't hinge on them, either. To be honest, you are better off going with the safe option (cap toes). If you kill the interview though, nobody's going to remember whether you wore cap toes, slip-ons, or clown shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads