• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have the same jacket as @jtorres94 and once I took this pic to try the combo.

tumblr_pkrlkz7Oi91spqdezo1_540.jpg

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are going down the dark brown suit route I would suggest wearing very dark brown shoes, not black.

This. It makes no sense to me to go more casual with the suit color (brown rather than navy) yet still go more formal with shoe color (black rather than dark brown). The brown suit with black shoe combo says that you are unsure of your choices. Stay formal with navy and black shoes. Or go casual with brown suit and dark brown shoes. But mixing between the two seems like a big mishmash.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This. It makes no sense to me to go more casual with the suit color (brown rather than navy) yet still go more formal with shoe color (black rather than dark brown). The brown suit with black shoe combo says that you are unsure of your choices. Stay formal with navy and black shoes. Or go casual with brown suit and dark brown shoes. But mixing between the two seems like a big mishmash.
On the contrary there is ample precedent on the British side of the pond for black shoes with brown (or any country colours for that matter). Not just British - what colours were the Hussards' boots? And of course:

upload_2019-1-6_8-16-2.png

upload_2019-1-6_8-18-13.png

And not just brown. Michael Portillo, who admittedly does err on the flashy side, but always rooted in an older British conservatism in his choice of cuts and minimalist use of patterns (none), here uses black with very casual colours and materials:

upload_2019-1-6_8-19-9.png

I personally think a gracefully shaped, well shined black shoe is the best choice with a tobacco suit, and any shade of brown is too close and looks inferior. In my limited experience that has been the case statistically when asking people who do not care about clothes which looks better, although my network being rooted in the Commonwealth that undoubtedly affects its taste.

Substanceoverstyle

Reaction score
Wow, thanks for all the responses in regard to my brown wedding suit question, really appreciate the community feel at play here! I wont reply to everyone individually, but I've definitely been helped by the feedback, if only by its reassurance.

@jtorres94 , you look great in your wedding suit, now that's some good inspiration and something to aspire to! I think linen would indeed been to casual, wool has been the better choice.

Interesting debate about brown vs black shoes. I can see both viewpoints being of value here. Brown might seem a bit safer, but I like the idea of going black as well. I'll have tot think it over, maybe depending on the tie and what my fiance will wear (she will not go in white, rather something peachy).

ebayhtl

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My wedding is coming up! Exciting times.

I wanted to wear a couple of different jackets for the day (we have the standard ceremony + reception at night, with some photos and other things during the day). I don't mind something a little different to standard fare.

I've bought a green tuxedo blazer - this is for the ceremony.

b0cfb7f06bb29350f5565af4d2ce0abc.jpg

I'm thinking of buying one of the below for the alternative jacket (wearing it during reception...?)

1065630_mrp_in_l.jpg
C1234_1.jpg

I'm thinking of changing jackets only - i.e. I will wear same white shirt, (black) tuxedo trousers and patent leather loafers for both outfits (just to save the hassle). I can re-consider this though - it might be a bit silly to change jackets only, and I should either change the trousers as well, or not change at all. Or maybe even buy something like this...

P5607_5.jpg

All thoughts/suggestions welcomed - thanks!

Last edited:

brax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the contrary there is ample precedent on the British side of the pond for black shoes with brown (or any country colours for that matter). Not just British - what colours were the Hussards' boots? And of course:

View attachment 1101384

View attachment 1101385

And not just brown. Michael Portillo, who admittedly does err on the flashy side, but always rooted in an older British conservatism in his choice of cuts and minimalist use of patterns (none), here uses black with very casual colours and materials:

View attachment 1101387

I personally think a gracefully shaped, well shined black shoe is the best choice with a tobacco suit, and any shade of brown is too close and looks inferior. In my limited experience that has been the case statistically when asking people who do not care about clothes which looks better, although my network being rooted in the Commonwealth that undoubtedly affects its taste.
I don't think that we're necessarily talking at cross-purposes. Black can be worn in all types of informal occasions. Black boots with a military inspired outfit looks great. I wear my black cordovan boots with jeans all of the time. Likewise, my black loafers get a lot of time in summer with shorts.

But this issue (and hence my advice) arose specifically in the wedding context. And in this context going with the very casual brown suit and more formal black shoes makes little sense assuming both shoe styles are the same. To put it slightly differently, would you suggest that someone who is wearing a brown suit to a wedding wear a formal shoe (cap-toe) or something a bit more informal (e.g., brougued cap toe)? I'd always recommend sticking with the same level of formality thus I'd suggest the less formal shoes with a brown suit.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think that we're necessarily talking at cross-purposes. Black can be worn in all types of informal occasions. Black boots with a military inspired outfit looks great. I wear my black cordovan boots with jeans all of the time. Likewise, my black loafers get a lot of time in summer with shorts.

But this issue (and hence my advice) arose specifically in the wedding context. And in this context going with the very casual brown suit and more formal black shoes makes little sense assuming both shoe styles are the same. To put it slightly differently, would you suggest that someone who is wearing a brown suit to a wedding wear a formal shoe (cap-toe) or something a bit more informal (e.g., brougued cap toe)? I'd always recommend sticking with the same level of formality thus I'd suggest the less formal shoes with a brown suit.
Would I? Well, that depends. I think people should do whatever their guests expect them to, or at least to tailor their preferences to the setting. So if you are in America and people never wear black shoes with brown suits then maybe out of consideration the brown shoe is a better bet. OTOH I got married in a charcoal suit, silver houndstooth tie and my best white shirt and I don't regret it - the solemnity and importance of the occasion takes a few years, I think, to sink in for the male side of the deal (perhaps only with the first child does it become clear why people make such a fuss about the commitment part) and so it is best to go with the flow/tradition and figure out why later.

Now what would I wear with brown? I've transitioned away from a very Traditionalist approach to perhaps a little more Symbolist within the constraints stated above. This was my last "brown wearing" occasion:

upload_2019-1-10_8-34-0.png

And as you can see, black... loafers. Unlined and very soft. Barely shined, a departure from my preference for a deep mirror on the hard parts. My idea of casual. But everything in that fit was designed with the host in mind. An arts expert with the right mindset to get it, dinner at an old club in a former British colony, I chose brown as a joke ("who cares? it's not London" - makes sense in context). Red socks in reference to Balladur, himself advertising his traditionalist (i.e. Catholic bourgeois) French views by referencing the Pope's choice of anklewear (I know it is done often now but again, my host knows me and would get it). His demonstrated snobbery was his downfall as a politician, and his successors understood the lesson, with Chirac in particular really destroying his sense of style so as to fit in and look like "one of the guys" when he was perhaps worse than Poole-wearing Balladur originally...

Conversely I like to experiment American-wards and tried the entire range of brown that I own from London tan loafers to the darkest light-absorbing matt suede and it always felt either really clashing or the same colour, like wearing overalls (but in shoe, if that makes sense). So again personal preference is away from brown with brown. When I was younger I owned only two pairs of brown shoes, chisel toed brogues and very casual lamb derbies with a country rubber sole, both of which I wore only with jeans. Always went to black if a tie or even just wool trousers were involved.

As for the captoe Oxfords the generation above mine always wore them - varying the colour for formality - with everything ranging from jeans or heavy cords whilst walking around the country to suits so again I'm the wrong person to ask about this particular analogy :p

020style

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm getting married in a few weeks, and I'm still in search for a suit. Unfortunately I can't do bespoke because of the time limit, so I'll have to settle with MTM. I already decided that I want a blue/navy suit with peak lapels. I went to Suitsupply and a local shop today, but I couldn't pull the trigger.

There were a few suit I liked, but I couldn't decide which one I liked the most. I added some pictures of the suits I checked out. Do you guys have any suggestions/thoughts? Thanks.

A few details about the wedding:
I'm getting married in India, the wedding will be in the summer, but most of it will be inside. The wedding ceremony will start at around 4:30 pm, so a tuxedo isn't really an option.

Schermafbeelding 2019-07-09 om 15.30.22.png Schermafbeelding 2019-07-09 om 16.52.46.png Schermafbeelding 2019-07-09 om 16.52.24.png Schermafbeelding 2019-07-09 om 16.52.59.png Schermafbeelding 2019-07-09 om 16.53.17.png

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of those I prefer pictures 2 and 3. I do not generally like 3 piece suits an the other one is too light for my taste. The slightly larger lapel on 2 may be a little more flamboyant but not by much. Whatever you choose, have a great wedding.

dan138zig

Reaction score
Hello,

My wife-to-be wants to wear a soft pink dress for the wedding. What should I wear to have a sense of coherence? I'm thinking of a grey/navy suit, white shirt, maroon/navy tie, and flower brooch and/or pocket square with a pink element. What do you think?

Last edited:

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello,

My wife-to-be wants to wear a soft pink dress for the wedding. What should I wear to have a sense of coherence? I'm thinking of a grey/navy suit, white shirt, maroon/navy tie, and flower brooch and/or pocket square with a pink element. What do you think?

I think that would work, a classic wedding look would be a navy suit, with a white shirt and classic wedding tie pattern, and a subtle pocket square to highlight the pink and whatever pink boutonniere your wife picks out, or a lapel flower

you can scale up the outfit to make it more formal by picking a peak lapel lapel and/or a three piece suit with black oxford shoes. or you could scale it down to make it more informal by doing a 2 piece standard notch lapel, or patch pockets, or walnut-colored shoes

If you're more inclined to grey, I dig this color suit and combo below just not sure how well it would work with a soft pink (i'm picturing just a or two closer to pink on the spectrum form white/ivory). a blue tie like james bond on the right with a the pink accent pocket square from above might work

Last edited:

dan138zig

Reaction score
I think that would work, a classic wedding look would be a navy suit, with a white shirt and classic wedding tie pattern, and a subtle pocket square to highlight the pink and whatever pink boutonniere your wife picks out, or a lapel flower

you can scale up the outfit to make it more formal by picking a peak lapel lapel and/or a three piece suit with black oxford shoes. or you could scale it down to make it more informal by doing a 2 piece standard notch lapel, or patch pockets, or walnut-colored shoes

If you're more inclined to grey, I dig this color suit and combo below just not sure how well it would work with a soft pink (i'm picturing just a or two closer to pink on the spectrum form white/ivory). a blue tie like james bond on the right with a the pink accent pocket square from above might work

Thanks a lot for your input! Would it be too much if I wear a lapel flower AND a pocket square? If not, what's the guideline on the color combination between the tie, lapel flower, and pocket square?

classicalthunde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for your input! Would it be too much if I wear a lapel flower AND a pocket square? If not, what's the guideline on the color combination between the tie, lapel flower, and pocket square?

I've seen a fair amount of weddings where the groom will wear an actual boutonniere of actual flowers as opposed to a fake lapel pin flower. if you are doing an actual boutinniere i'd definitely forgo the lapel pin, if you guys are going to forgo the actual boutonniere, then i think the pocket square and lapel pin i linked to are both subtle enough that you could rock both

i wouldnt recommend having your tie match your pocket square and lapel pin directly, as long as there is some similarity between the lapel pin and pocket square i think the tie can stand on its own.

ceriano

Reaction score
All I’m attending a wedding next month. Which of these shoes would be more appropriate for wedding? My suit is a dark navy/mid-night.
I’m leaning towards santonies. They’re lighter than my suit so I feel there is enough contrast. If not I’d probably go with ferragamo or maybe Prada’s. Let me know what you think.

Attachments

• 868C9C28-CB2A-4CD0-89DE-AF6F89C78AEA.jpeg
    868C9C28-CB2A-4CD0-89DE-AF6F89C78AEA.jpeg
    201.7 KB · Views: 136
  • 47DFF8B9-097B-4E83-9F7D-517D382DC9B4.jpeg
    47DFF8B9-097B-4E83-9F7D-517D382DC9B4.jpeg
    183.6 KB · Views: 121
  • 60A7D023-389E-4AD1-9DFF-2520D0A880BA.jpeg
    60A7D023-389E-4AD1-9DFF-2520D0A880BA.jpeg
    222.8 KB · Views: 120
  • DD20AA3D-A699-4014-92E8-8CC7120A4F38.jpeg
    DD20AA3D-A699-4014-92E8-8CC7120A4F38.jpeg
    206.1 KB · Views: 125
  • 75ABC2BF-E8D3-493B-A7E7-3EF1DC930F9B.jpeg
    75ABC2BF-E8D3-493B-A7E7-3EF1DC930F9B.jpeg
    265.8 KB · Views: 128
  • 0E0D6C12-A4B2-4220-8A4B-09EDF60E86E4.jpeg
    0E0D6C12-A4B2-4220-8A4B-09EDF60E86E4.jpeg
    224.4 KB · Views: 132
  • C3431302-9B23-47BE-9679-5DB8AA3029DE.jpeg
    C3431302-9B23-47BE-9679-5DB8AA3029DE.jpeg
    326.6 KB · Views: 130
  • 29381CC8-954C-405D-A41D-62F6E27476E4.jpeg
    29381CC8-954C-405D-A41D-62F6E27476E4.jpeg
    174.2 KB · Views: 136
  • 40F34FE8-66E5-4B0D-9ABE-D0BADA075740.jpeg
    40F34FE8-66E5-4B0D-9ABE-D0BADA075740.jpeg
    205.7 KB · Views: 176
  • BFCE83F4-D1D5-426E-8F4E-5206A60A508C.jpeg
    BFCE83F4-D1D5-426E-8F4E-5206A60A508C.jpeg
    219.9 KB · Views: 277

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads