• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AdductorMagnus

Reaction score
Everything I wore except shirts, socks and underwear predated my existence by 40-90 years give or take.

Morning coat and trousers were tailored in 1937, the DB waistcoat 40's-50's OTP. Evening tails were made by M. Balian of Marseille, no other tags. Not sure of age but it's far from recent. Evening trousers are probably from the 50's.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Really amazing. So, you now have a perfect morning and evening formal rig. Do you attempt to get onto the diplomatic corps? :) Or do you sell it to the next groom?

This all reminds me of a guy that was on here a few years back "I'mTheGroom." Same thing: He did a daytime ceremony and and evening reception. And went full-on vintage formal wear for both-and also looked spectacular. He linked this article that was written about his dapper accomplishment here, about a hundred pages back:

http://www.blacktieguide.com/blog/2013/10/28/reader-role-models-doubly-debonnaire/

Last edited:

AdductorMagnus

Reaction score
Yes, he was part of my inspiration. I read this thread cover to cover when planning what to wear for my wedding.
The morning dress I'll get to wear at least once a year for the norwegian national day, and likely to a few weddings in the upcoming years.
The evening rig will likely see some use too, as I'm being admitted to a lodge, and already two weddings I've inspired to go formal day- and evening wear in the works. And then there's always ball season in Vienna. Wife signed us up for dancing lessons, I gather there's an agenda behind it...

norteryx

Reaction score
Any thoughts on this suit for a June wedding?

I'm a complete novice, hoping I could get some pointers on how to replicate this look?

cheers

AdductorMagnus

Reaction score

Any thoughts on this suit for a June wedding?  

I'm a complete novice, hoping I could get some pointers on how to replicate this look?

cheers

A navy 3-piece was the original plan for my wedding. Consider the temperature in June in regards to a waistcoat, if you're uncomfortable it shows. Also waistcoats and belts is somewhat of a pet peeve of mine, I don't think they should go together, I'd wear braces.
Seeing as it's your wedding, and such a suit would be highly reusable, consider bespoke or at least MTM. I'd prefer wider lapels (peaked even) and tie.

Edit-
Also an odd waistcoat would be snazzy.
350x700px-LL-45aaffd7_WeddingPic.jpeg

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ 9 ounces is a decent weight for summer. Lighter can be a bit better, but unless you are investing in a summer specific wardrobe, I'd be okay with 9 ounce wool. "Stretch wool" is one of those terms that worries me a bit. One other point is I'd definitely wear black shoes (and belt if your suit requires one).

white collar

Reaction score
Hi gents, quick question, I'm looking at a tuxedo from Isaia that's black with blue pattern lapels. Just the jacket is on eBay, no pants but I did find black tuxedo pants on eBay from Isaia. Initially I thought the two would need to match but when I went to the Isaia website they have a similar jacket sold with black pants as a tuxedo. What do you guys think? Would this be appropriate and or look good? Here's the two items from eBay and the tuxedo from Isaia.

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ No, it will not look good. A black tuxedo with blue lapels is wrong in the first place and nothing can rescue it. As far as the jacket matching the trousers, the only time when you shouldn't do that is if you are wearing a white dinner jacket in the summer or some sort of velvet smoking jacket in the winter (yes, I suppose if you are Scottish you have a third option...).

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a comment. I was at a wedding recently the dress code was suits for the men. All men wore suits, most plain dark blue or grey. One or two wore pin-stripe or chalk-stripe and as has been mentioned here before it looked as if they had just worn their work clothes to the wedding. Even the few more exciting coloured or patterned suits looked better.

marcodalondra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Just a comment. I was at a wedding recently the dress code was suits for the men. All men wore suits, most plain dark blue or grey. One or two wore pin-stripe or chalk-stripe and as has been mentioned here before it looked as if they had just worn their work clothes to the wedding. Even the few more exciting coloured or patterned suits looked better.

I mentioned this before, but for example in Italy is quite common to have wedding suit in Oxford grey (almost black) with pinstripes around 0.5 -1 cm apart, and this would not ever be seen as work suits (would not wear that colour and/or so narrow pinstripes pattern at work).

Last edited:

gandaruvu

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I've been a lurker for years, and I have a question for now.

It's not for me, actually, but for my friend who's going to get married on April. He rarely wears suit, so he asked my opinion about what to wear for his wedding.

Just like many weddings nowadays, the bride picked "colour themes" for the wedding. For their wedding, it will be these colours:

Their idea to implement it to the suit is something like this:

I personally feel that that's not really a great look, so my suggestion was something similar like this:

So a navy suit instead while implementing the blue colour on the waistcoat, the pink on the shirt with white collar, and a traditional wedding tie. He didn't have a nicely tailored suit yet, so my navy suit's suggestion was also because it'll be a good investment for him.

What do you guys think about my suggestion? Is that a good way to implement the theme into the suit? Is it overkill? If it's not a good way, is there another way to implement it?

He's a great friend of mine, and since he asked me for advice I don't want to let him down. Any advice will be appreciated!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 96 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 11.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads