• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Amiro555

Reaction score
Hello there!

I've been stalking this forum here and there and have always appreciated your posts and tips regarding style. The time has come for me to create an account and seek for your valuable input regarding the attire for my upcoming wedding. While I have some experience with suits, tuxedo and tuxedo accessories are a whole new playground for me.

I'm pretty much set on this slim-fit charcoal tuxedo:

As the groom, I am looking into wearing a white french cuff pinpoint collar shirt with a dark blue bow tie. I am not interested in any of us wearing vests, cummerbunds, or suspenders. The tux pants are flat front with side adjusters (no belt loops). As for the groomsmen, they will be wearing the same tux and shirt only with a slightly lighter blue regular ties. We will all be wearing the same patent leather shoes.

I'm somewhat conservative and do not wish the combination to look like the stylish wedding attire of the year, but rather a respectful and well put together combination, which does not break "fashion rules."

Do you folks believe that this attire combination allows for sufficient distinction between the groom and groomsmen? Do you think it is acceptable for us not to wear cummerbunds/vests/suspenders with our tuxedos? Should the groom alone wear a vest for further distinction from groomsmen?

I would appreciate your input regarding my questions and/or any tips regarding other combinations I may be missing out on. Links to ties would also be greatly appreciated! Based on bridesmaids dresses and other color decisions already in play, tie/bow tie colors are limited to darker shades of blue only.

Thanks!

Last edited:

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you folks believe that this attire combination allows for sufficient distinction between the groom and groomsmen?  Do you think it is acceptable for us not to wear cummerbunds/vests/suspenders with our tuxedos?  Should the groom alone wear a vest for further distinction from groomsmen?
Welcome!

I wouldn't worry about appearing too distinct from your fellows -- everyone will presumably know who you are.

A tuxedo is by definition (and in myriad ways) not what's presented above. It is not charcoal; it is worn neither without a waist covering, nor with a standard white shirt, nor without a black bow tie.

I'm afraid you won't find much use for our opinions if yours are as firm as they appear. Perhaps consider instead a charcoal suit and polished black calf shoes combined with the remaining accessories as described.

If you're going this route because it's convenient for rental, good luck and I hope you find something that agrees with your style.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you folks believe that this attire combination allows for sufficient distinction between the groom and groomsmen? Do you think it is acceptable for us not to wear cummerbunds/vests/suspenders with our tuxedos? Should the groom alone wear a vest for further distinction from groomsmen?

Yes
Yes
No

As Adam has said your half and half wardrobe will not gain much approval here where an either full traditional tuxedo with bow tie etc or suit with ordinary tie choice is preferred.

My pet peeve is long waistcoats with low waisted trousers if you are going to wear a decent looking waistcoat you will need higher rise trousers.

SteveStrohm

Reaction score
so, I'm going to get a suit made in dark navy for my wedding. I own 3 other suits but none fit me anymore so this suit will get planty of wears in the next few years. I'm leaning towards:

Jacket:
2 button
Single Breast
Peak Lapel
Single vent

Pants:
Single Pleat
1 inch Cuffs
8.25 inch wide at the bottom

question
1) Should I do pleats and if so what is the SF approved number of pleats? I have big quads so thinking pleats are best
2) What style jacket pockets?
3) would a peak lapel suit look rediculous if I try to use it for job interviews?
4) how wide to make the lapels? I want them to be in the middle between the too narrow mad men type and the 70's pimp size, thinking 3.5 inches?

Last edited:

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(1) Pleats are a matter of personal choice for me. I think one is best unless you are positive another choice is best.

(2) Flaps or besom. You can always tuck in the Flaps if you wish.

(3) Ridiculous, no, but not the most conservative choice.

(4) Lapel width depends on how big you are. For a 38-40 jacket wearer, this is probably not bad.

vopiscus

Reaction score
Wanted to take a shot here at getting ideas for myself (the groom)...

I will be wearing a Canali Navy Blue suit. The blue is close to midnight in some light. Also wearing lighter brown Allen Edmonds shoes and matching belt. Question is... What else can I do to class this up? It's a bit "standard" as is. I know the square, tie bar, cuffs...

But I've been thinking about wearing a covered-placket shirt and a skinnier, satin tie to "class" the whole thing up and make it just slightly closer to a tux look...

Shirt:

http://www.us.thomaspink.com/Marcel...ening-Shirts/thomas-pink/fcp-product/99920812

Tie:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/on/de...tion?pid=A658&dwvar_A658_Color=GREY&cgid=0210

Or is this just crazy? Any other ideas?

For the shirt, I can move away from the covered-placket to a patterned stitch, white cuff-links shirt...

BTW- This is an LA wedding, so a little style "forward" is not bad...

Thanks!

Veremund

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You should rather not wear light brown shoes. As dark as possible would be best practice. Black. Nice, dark, black. :)

Secondly, the placket of your shirt is irrelevant as your tie will be covering it.

Thirdly, yes, you should absolutely wear cufflinks.

Last edited:

random-adam

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1) Should I do pleats and if so what is the SF approved number of pleats? I have big quads so thinking pleats are best
2) What style jacket pockets?
3) would a peak lapel suit look rediculous if I try to use it for job interviews?
4) how wide to make the lapels? I want them to be in the middle between the too narrow mad men type and the 70's pimp size, thinking 3.5 inches?
3.5" lapels are as classic as it gets. You might stretch to 4" if they're peak and shaped well; I figure it depends on body style.

Five years ago I went with a MTM gray three-piece for my wedding. It was GREAT for my wedding... but the peak lapels and high-cut waist do not serve well for use afterward when the desire is to blend in (as with interviews and funerals). I feel more comfortable in those situations wearing a standard navy two-button two-piece with notch lapels.

Cuffs (less formal) and peak lapels (more formal) seem to me to be a bit of a non sequitur -- but it's been done and can look fantastic. I offer as evidence James Cagney in 1931:

SteveStrohm

Reaction score
thanks guys your answers are much helpful. Hadnt even thought of the cuffs not really matching the peak lapel. I've been undecided on getting the vest because I dont want to spend the extra couple hundred on it and only wear it once (dont see myself wearing it for other occasions. I know there's been some well-pulled-off odd vests. Maybe I could get one one on the cheap in the used market. If I decide to do this, would there be any rules? Most likely wouldnt be able to match the blue, so a plaid? brown? cream?

archibaldleach

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wanted to take a shot here at getting ideas for myself (the groom)...

I will be wearing a Canali Navy Blue suit. The blue is close to midnight in some light. Also wearing lighter brown Allen Edmonds shoes and matching belt. Question is... What else can I do to class this up? It's a bit "standard" as is. I know the square, tie bar, cuffs...

But I've been thinking about wearing a covered-placket shirt and a skinnier, satin tie to "class" the whole thing up and make it just slightly closer to a tux look...

Shirt:

http://www.us.thomaspink.com/Marcel...ening-Shirts/thomas-pink/fcp-product/99920812

Tie:

http://www.brooksbrothers.com/on/de...tion?pid=A658&dwvar_A658_Color=GREY&cgid=0210

Or is this just crazy? Any other ideas?

For the shirt, I can move away from the covered-placket to a patterned stitch, white cuff-links shirt...

BTW- This is an LA wedding, so a little style "forward" is not bad...

Thanks!

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding. My general advice would be to not try to make something that isn't a tuxedo "tux-like." You are wearing a nice dark navy suit, so think about what is going to look best in this context rather than compare it to a tuxedo. The classic look for this suit for a wedding would be black shoes (very dark brown if you truly must), a white shirt and a wedding tie (black and white pattern, silver / grey, etc.). I don't recommend the Marcella front shirt. Your tie will cover the placket, so that doesn't really matter, but the Marcella front will be visible and will look off in that context. Definitely wear cufflinks. I understand that being a bit style forward may be fine in LA, but I'm thinking that since you're the groom, you'd rather err on the side of being traditional. Let your friends be a bit more fashion forward and if you want to do that as guests at their weddings, go nuts.

billmc

Reaction score
Hi all.

Getting married later this year
1f633.png
And just bought my wedding suit but I'm struggling for a tie combination.

It's a deep red tweed with a mix of coloured flecks.

Any ideas are welcomed.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads