• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MrDaniels

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I know you, you'll go for studs...one more opportunity to accessorize...

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, there's the next shirt I'll buy, and the next shirt I want. The next shirt I want is a stiff front with detachable wing collar. But, the next shirt I buy will likely be a flat front with a covered placket, since they are cheap and plentiful.

Twistx

Reaction score
Hello, I need some help choosing my wedding attire (Groom). I was planning on wearing this suit :

With these shoes (haven't decided on brown or black):

I have absolutely no idea what color tie to wear or what color shirt. I was planning on keeping it simple with a white shirt and maybe a gray tie. It is a small wedding so there is no wedding party and it will just be my best man who will be officiating. My fiancé says it doesn't matter to her what I wear. Also, the wedding is in the morning followed by brunch, if that matters. Any help you guys could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

ImTheGroom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with the above post. However, it sounds like a pretty informal event, so you have free reign to go with any tie you like. I say wear whatever colour normally looksbest on you. If you want to play it safe, silver is, as stated, pretty standard, and navy really can't go wrong, either. Burgundy is also safe.

Twistx

Reaction score
Thanks guys for your responses, really appreciate it. I was actually leaning towards the brown shoes instead of black. I have no probl being "standard" but are there certain tie/shirt combinations that go well with the brown shoes I posted?

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Groomsmen in varying shades of grey/charcoal? or keep them similar?

This is just a general question? It kind of depends on the setting. Lighter grays are less formal, and less suitable to evening. If you have a more formal or an evening wedding, keep 'em all dark. If not, some can be lighter.

Thanks guys for your responses, really appreciate it. I was actually leaning towards the brown shoes instead of black. I have no probl being "standard" but are there certain tie/shirt combinations that go well with the brown shoes I posted?

Brown shoes create less contrast, so generally lower contrast tie/shirt combinations will be more harmonious. For example, a light blue shirt rather than a white shirt. But really even a white shirt + the previously mentioned navy or burgundy tie would be fine. I would recommend against white shirt, silver tie, brown shoes though. Brown seems out of place in that outfit.

EBugatti

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

A little puzzled by the responses you're getting, and not sure what you're asking. For a wedding, what you have selected is inappropriate. You should wear at a minimum, a dark suit, white shirt, conservative tie (read dark w/ small pattern or silver-grey) and black shoes. Period. If you decide to stray from that norm, then do whatever you wish--it makes no difference whatsoever since you're rejecting norms of minimum etiquette as it is.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

A little puzzled by the responses you're getting, and not sure what you're asking. For a wedding, what you have selected is inappropriate. You should wear at a minimum, a dark suit, white shirt, conservative tie (read dark w/ small pattern or silver-grey) and black shoes. Period. If you decide to stray from that norm, then do whatever you wish--it makes no difference whatsoever since you're rejecting norms of minimum etiquette as it is.

You're upset because his suit isn't dark enough? It's not inappropriately light given the way he's described the setting, at least on my monitor. I also don't agree that any deviation from "the norm" means that it no longer matters what you wear. By that logic, anything short of a full morning suit wouldn't even be worth discussing.

ovlov

Reaction score
This is just a general question? It kind of depends on the setting. Lighter grays are less formal, and less suitable to evening. If you have a more formal or an evening wedding, keep 'em all dark. If not, some can be lighter.
It's a daytime wedding outdoors with evening reception. Main issue is having too much variance in shades and I guess therefore formality.

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand Bugatti's answer to the extent that if the groom is lucky he and his wife will be looking at photos of their wedding many years from now and it is worth looking as smart as possible whatever the setting.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You really think that shade of gray inhibits that? Do I need to dig up pics of prince Charles wearing a morning suit in that shade? Again by your logic of looking "as smart as possible"...why not wear a morning suit?

A darker grey would be more formal. There's certainly nothing wrong with wearing a darker grey. But if OP likes this one, especially given that the ceremony is not a terribly formal one, I don't see a problem with it. It's not as if he's wearing some purple pinstripe job that will be embarrassing in photos in 10 years. Or, in that case, even the morning after.

unbelragazzo

Jewfro
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

It's a daytime wedding outdoors with evening reception. Main issue is having too much variance in shades and I guess therefore formality.

I'd personally recommend similar shades, but if somebody has a medium grey they want to wear I don't see a problem with it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads