• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

OFFICIAL Simon Crompton thread (PermanentStyle.com)

GabrielJF

Reaction score
Crompton is pushing double breasted blazers at the moment. The twist is a slightly heavier fabric makes them an alternative to a coat.

There is Seiji - an oriental version of Benny from ‘Crossroads’ in a wooly hat, T shirt and shapeless jeans.

Fat*y Ethan in a daft hat and jeans is there for comparison.

Crompton‘s crowd just take it as read that this is a good look.
An ‘oriental version.’ Yuck. Please tell me you’re over the age of 80.

And calling out Ethan Newton - who admittedly dresses in a pretty ludicrous way - for being overweight. Come on, dude. Pretty much everything about what you’ve written here is gross and unpleasant.

Last edited:

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
An ‘oriental version.’ Yuck. Please tell me you’re over the age of 80.

And calling out Ethan Newton - who admittedly dresses in a pretty ludicrous way - for being overweight. Come on, dude. Pretty much everything about what you’ve written here is gross and unpleasant.
It is all accurate though, even if you don't care for posters pointing out the bleedin obvious.

GabrielJF

Reaction score
It is all accurate though, even if you don't care for posters pointing out the bleedin obvious.
Term oriental is - being as generous as possible - incredibly old fashioned. Being less generous it is actually quite insulting, rooted in colonialism and is basically quite reductive. Where exactly is the orient anyway? But hey, I suspect you’re not one to care about that!

Just because something is obvious, like someone’s weight, does not in any way require it being pointed out. Especially so pointlessly maliciously.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Term oriental is - being as generous as possible - incredibly old fashioned. Being less generous it is actually quite insulting, rooted in colonialism and is basically quite reductive. Where exactly is the orient anyway? But hey, I suspect you’re not one to care about that!

Just because something is obvious, like someone’s weight, does not in any way require it being pointed out. Especially so pointlessly maliciously.
Without wanting to get into a semantic bun fight Kingstonian is English where AFAIK the term ‘oriental’ hasn’t attained the pejorative slant that has happened in America and elsewhere. English tend to differentiate ‘oriental’ East Asians from ‘Asian’ subcontinentals.
Any attempt to classify vast swathes of populations is by nature going to be reductive. I doubt he had any malicious intent.

At one point the world was divided into mongoloid, caucasoid and negroid. We don’t say ‘Mongol’ or ‘Negro’ in polite company so how come use of ‘Caucasian’ persists?

Thanks to 23 and Me I’ve traced back my own origin at least a couple of centuries and there isn’t a single ancestor from anywhere near the Caucasus mountains. ‘White’ will do fine.

GabrielJF

Reaction score
Without wanting to get into a semantic bun fight Kingstonian is English where AFAIK the term ‘oriental’ hasn’t attained the pejorative slant that has happened in America and elsewhere. English tend to differentiate ‘oriental’ East Asians from ‘Asian’ subcontinentals.
Any attempt to classify vast swathes of populations is by nature going to be reductive. I doubt he had any malicious intent.

At one point the world was divided into mongoloid, caucasoid and negroid. We don’t say ‘Mongol’ or ‘Negro’ in polite company so how come use of ‘Caucasian’ persists?

Thanks to 23 and Me I’ve traced back my own origin at least a couple of centuries and there isn’t a single ancestor from anywhere near the Caucasus mountains. ‘White’ will do fine.
As a London based Englishman married to a British East Asian woman I have to disagree. I think the term oriental is now widely regarded as pejorative. Perhaps far less so than other slurs. However, it is definitely Eurocentric, reductive and rooted in a colonial understanding of a huge part of the globe.

You wouldn’t refer to someone from the Middle East or Northern Africa as a Moor. It’d be considered grossly anachronistic and therefore offensive. ‘Oriental’ has gone that way too and arguably began going that way manydecades ago, likely predating Edward Said’s Orientalism.

To put it another way my late grandfather would have doubtlessly referred to someone of East Asian appearance as an oriental, from the orient. My parents - brits now in their 60s - would probably never dream of doing so.

I think the distinction you are referring to is between East Asians and South Asians. Hardly difficult ethereally ethnic terms to grapple with. Just dispassionate and accurate.

Last edited:

Howfener

Reaction score
As an Englishman I agree. If someone used the term oriental today it would be jarring and mildly offensive. As you say, not as much as other racial slurs, but still not commonly-acceptable or neutral language.

Treble

Reaction score
Good on you for calling out those comments @GabrielJF

On topic, I think Ethan almost always looks great. I have met him in person as well, so it's not just a case of professional shots being good.

He is definitely broadening the appeal of certain items via Brycelands and his personal approach to styling. Not to say they would work for everyone of course.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting. As a southern european I had never thought that calling someone « oriental », describing someone as oriental or mentioning that someone has oriental physical appearance would be pejorative. Of course when we talk about people from the other side of the globe we use our own geographical position as a reference. I would never be concerned if someone from Asia would describe me as westerner.

From what you say it seems that, for historical reasons, in England the term oriental has been embeded with mostly pejorative attributes.

GabrielJF

Reaction score
Good on you for calling out those comments @GabrielJF

On topic, I think Ethan almost always looks great. I have met him in person as well, so it's not just a case of professional shots being good.

He is definitely broadening the appeal of certain items via Brycelands and his personal approach to styling. Not to say they would work for everyone of course.

Definitely see how he’s used his personal styling to broaden appeal of the Brycelands look. I was completely ready to love Bryceland’s. Yet I’ve found much of what they do to be costumey and I think similarly, I find Ethan’s looks very costumey. Always a few too many things on them competing for attention I think.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Put up photos on tinternet and you will get comments - especially about the obvious.

As for ‘Oriental’ and ‘Asian’, I am always puzzled when Americans refer to Chinese, Japanese etc as ‘Asian’. In the UK ‘Asian’ usually means the Indian subcontinent.

GabrielJF

Reaction score
Put up photos on tinternet and you will get comments - especially about the obvious.

As for ‘Oriental’ and ‘Asian’, I am always puzzled when Americans refer to Chinese, Japanese etc as ‘Asian’. In the UK ‘Asian’ usually means the Indian subcontinent.
Correct - put photos of yourself online and you will get comments, some of them from rude and ignorant people. Congratulations, on deciding to be one of those people!

East Asia and South Asia. Both technically Asian. We just had a lot of immigration from India and Pakistan during the early mid 20th century. Not puzzling at all.

China, Mongolia, Japan, Taiwan, Korea: East Asian.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nobody uses the terms ‘East Asian‘ and ‘South Asian’ in Britain.

You are probably the sort that stopped cricket commentators from referring to ‘batsmen’ and started talking about ‘batters’ instead, when people were not paying attention.

GabrielJF

Reaction score
Nobody uses the terms ‘East Asian‘ and ‘South Asian’ in Britain.

You are probably the sort that stopped cricket commentators from referring to ‘batsmen’ and started talking about ‘batters’ instead, when people were not paying attention.
Yes, they do and no, I’m not.

East Asian and South Asian are not the loony lefty PC Brigade gone mad and forcing it down your throat. They’re geographical realities.

Treble

Reaction score
Definitely see how he’s used his personal styling to broaden appeal of the Brycelands look. I was completely ready to love Bryceland’s. Yet I’ve found much of what they do to be costumey and I think similarly, I find Ethan’s looks very costumey. Always a few too many things on them competing for attention I think.

I rate them, think they have been pretty smart as they do enough eccentric stuff for them to stand out from being yet another japanese-americana repro brand and that helps with being at the price-point they are at. I plan on sticking with their more standard stuff though!

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KingCaru