• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official new iPhone 4

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
no issues

blairh

Reaction score
The only issue I had was my own fault. My contacts were not syncing to my iPhone 4. It was driving me crazy. Then I read something on the Mac Rumors forum that fixed it. I had to turn contacts 'on' under my iCloud setting.

Other than that, no issues with 5.1.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm running an iMac 10.6.8 and an iPhone 4 v5.1. I updated my phone a couple of days ago and since then most of the apps have been sporadic. Most of the errors that I've been getting have been due to the apps "timing out" or "can't find server" or something like that.

I deleted all of the apps that I could and reloaded them but then I couldn't even get into them. Apps that I can't delete like Youtube, Weather, Settings, Mail, etc. just didn't work or update.

After the original update usage was intermittent and I got Mail after a couple of hours but many apps didn't work. NOTHING worked last night, not even mail would update but now today, when I woke up, everything works just fine.

These are my latest updates:

3/8 iTunes 10.6
3/8 iPhoto 9.2.2
3/8 GrageBand 6.0.5
3/14 Safari 5.1.4
3/14 Digital Camera Raw Compatibility 3.10

I'm wondering if it's not the phone but the server? I understand that Weather and Stocks use Yahoo so maybe it's them? I really have no idea how this stuff works.

Last edited:

blairh

Reaction score

I'm running an iMac 10.6.8 and an iPhone 4 v5.1. I updated my phone a couple of days ago and since then most of the apps have been sporadic. Most of the errors that I've been getting have been due to the apps "timing out" or "can't find server" or something like that.
I deleted all of the apps that I could and reloaded them but then I couldn't even get into them. Apps that I can't delete like Youtube, Weather, Settings, Mail, etc. just didn't work or update.
After the original update usage was intermittent and I got Mail after a couple of hours but many apps didn't work. NOTHING worked last night, not even mail would update but now today, when I woke up, everything works just fine.
These are my latest updates:
3/8 iTunes 10.6
3/8 iPhoto 9.2.2
3/8 GrageBand 6.0.5
3/14 Safari 5.1.4
3/14 Digital Camera Raw Compatibility 3.10
I'm wondering if it's not the phone but the server? I understand that Weather and Stocks use Yahoo so maybe it's them? I really have no idea how this stuff works.

If you continue to have problems, restore your phone from new (and not a backup). That usually fixes most bugs. If you continue to have problems then post a question in the Mac Rumors forum or make an appointment at your local Apple store.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If you continue to have problems, restore your phone from new (and not a backup). That usually fixes most bugs. If you continue to have problems then post a question in the Mac Rumors forum or make an appointment at your local Apple store.

I was thinking about using the "restore" feature but won't that clear my contacts?

blairh

Reaction score

I was thinking about using the "restore" feature but won't that clear my contacts?

If you mean restoring via iTunes on your Mac, then yes, it will clear all your contacts, music, bookmarks, etc. It will return the iPhone to factory settings like when you first bought it.

If you use Address Book for your contacts then this isn't an issue. Restore your iPhone and then sync afterwards to get all your contacts and other things onto your phone. Also if you use AB you should absolutely back up your contacts to iCloud.

blairh

Reaction score
Anybody growing tired of their iPhone4/4S? I know the next iPhone is coming this fall and has the potential to be awesome, but I've grown weary of my iPhone 4. I'll probably stick it out till then, and I honestly have yet to handle an Android device that I've liked, however I do want to play with the Nokia Lumia 900 when it comes to the market next month.

Kookz

Reaction score

Try this. Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset All Settings.

This won't delete anything on the phone (music, contacts, pictures, apps will all be there) but it'll just reset settings. After it finishes rebooting, choose "Set up as a new phone" and follow the prompts. You'll have to reset your background/wallpaper, turn off keyboard clicks if you want, choose which apps get which notifications, etc, but all your stuff will be there. I had something where I was getting 8 hours out of a charge, reset all settings and I'm not getting almost 2 days out of it.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Try this. Settings -> General -> Reset -> Reset All Settings.
This won't delete anything on the phone (music, contacts, pictures, apps will all be there) but it'll just reset settings. After it finishes rebooting, choose "Set up as a new phone" and follow the prompts. You'll have to reset your background/wallpaper, turn off keyboard clicks if you want, choose which apps get which notifications, etc, but all your stuff will be there. I had something where I was getting 8 hours out of a charge, reset all settings and I'm not getting almost 2 days out of it.

Thanks. But, would you believe it's fine now? I woke up the other day and everything worked fine. I have no idea what happened but I'm thinking it was a server or Yahoo issue.

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
im looking for an app that can play music but will run in the background

the apps in the app store don't turn on unless you are in the app and sometimes i forget to turn on the app

MarkI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

im looking for an app that can play music but will run in the background
the apps in the app store don't turn on unless you are in the app and sometimes i forget to turn on the app

Both Pandora and Slacker radio can run in the background...

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
oops i totally meant to say alarm

i need an alarm that can run in the background. the ones in the app store wont play music when the time comes unless you are in the app

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Is it my imagination, or is my iPhone 4 (not S) screen just not quite as touch-sensitive as it used to be? Certain activities just seem harder to do and less reliable than before.

This is most notable when playing Scramble with Friends.

Rambo

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

oops i totally meant to say alarm
i need an alarm that can run in the background. the ones in the app store wont play music when the time comes unless you are in the app

The Apple app Clock is the only one that can do that. Already went through this **** before. Again - Jailbreak.

Douglas - I just restored my phone and have an appointment to take it into the Children of the Corn - Bar today. I'll pretend that's one of my problems and let you know what they say.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads