• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Golf Thread

Schwazer

Reaction score
Haven't see a TearDrop putter in years.

Fred-Couples-skins.jpg

Kwaker

Reaction score
Back in the day, these milled TearDrops were in the same price range as Camerons, but that’s where the comparison stops.
Whereas a Cameron would have appreciated in value, mine has depreciated by > 90%.
Confidence wise however, I’m still sold on the roll face “technology”.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It’s been a long time since I’ve seen one, that’s for sure. But, as for old stuff still in your bag, I think I’ll win. Still have a ping anser 3, and a titleist DLIII gap wedge in the bag. The ping is from the late 90s I think, the wedge also.

I would have replaced the second one by now if I still played regularly. But as it is, it’s not worth it for those two rounds a year. Interestingly enough I can still hit my blades well (Bridgestone j33b), so the game is a bit like riding that proverbial bike. You don’t lose the skill, it just gets rusty.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Im still playing with my clubs my dad bought me in 2001 when I was in high school. We walked in to Sports Authority and he said: "which set is the cheapest" and that's what we got. I swtiched the driver to a Tour Burner around 2011/2 when the one I had snapped. Also I lost a 7 iron on a round a few years ago and the pro shop said "Just grab a club out of these left behind ones" so I have a Tommy Bahama 7 iron.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s been a long time since I’ve seen one, that’s for sure. But, as for old stuff still in your bag, I think I’ll win. Still have a ping anser 3, and a titleist DLIII gap wedge in the bag. The ping is from the late 90s I think, the wedge also.

I would have replaced the second one by now if I still played regularly. But as it is, it’s not worth it for those two rounds a year. Interestingly enough I can still hit my blades well (Bridgestone j33b), so the game is a bit like riding that proverbial bike. You don’t lose the skill, it just gets rusty.
I’m amazed you still have grooves on that DLIII. Oldest club that goes in and out of my bag is my Scotty Pro Platinum from ‘01 I got as a gift from my dad when I made the golf team - it bounces in and out with the Futura X I got fit into a few seasons ago. My 690MBs sit in a staff bag in my office and come out once a year or so to keep me humble and remind me why I switched to a more forgiving club when I stopped being able to play as often.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m amazed you still have grooves on that DLIII. Oldest club that goes in and out of my bag is my Scotty Pro Platinum from ‘01 I got as a gift from my dad when I made the golf team - it bounces in and out with the Futura X I got fit into a few seasons ago. My 690MBs sit in a staff bag in my office and come out once a year or so to keep me humble and remind me why I switched to a more forgiving club when I stopped being able to play as often.

The wedge has wear, that’s for sure. But getting spin on a ball was never my problem, usually I had to much. And by now it’s nostalgia ? These days it just drops dead when it lands, which is workable as long as I can keep it together for 18 holes.

The blades, yeah I understand. I once was a scratch player that turned pro, and I excelled in ball striking. But I probably should switch to a cavity back, if I played more often. Although the driver would go first. That 80 gram shortened to 43” low spin hammer of a driver probably does me not favors.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The wedge has wear, that’s for sure. But getting spin on a ball was never my problem, usually I had to much. And by now it’s nostalgia ? These days it just drops dead when it lands, which is workable as long as I can keep it together for 18 holes.

The blades, yeah I understand. I once was a scratch player that turned pro, and I excelled in ball striking. But I probably should switch to a cavity back, if I played more often. Although the driver would go first. That 80 gram shortened to 43” low spin hammer of a driver probably does me not favors.
Can relate - I thought about the PGM thing but just did the PAT and was never going to make it far as a real career so the dream died. I switched to CBs eventually when I was down to like 10-15 real rounds a year or so and then playing mainly scrambles and charity outings for work. Last season I finally caved and ended up at the fitting studio saying load me up with technology and ended up in the 0311T’s. Ended up playing more in the last 18 months than in the 5 years prior. God bless remote work.

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
well, that still doesn’t sound bad. I turned pro and almost immediately decided I wouldn’t cut it. Started teaching which completely killed my love for the game, and after almost 15 years I still haven’t gotten it back. So I did university and got a regular career. I’ll only play for work or when friends pressure me. which in a way is hilarious, they only invite me to try and beat me. Devastates their confidence when I shoot around 80 when just showing up, and they know I don’t practice.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was never good enough to actually play so that wasn’t on the radar but giving lessons and golfing for free at a nice club sounded awesome to 22 year old me. It turned into a combo of running the kids camp and managing the cart barn and caddie program to break my spirit ha. The inevitable two kids at the camp who took it seriously were fun and the rest felt like babysitting and reminding the kids their clubs weren’t swords and to stop hitting each other.

It’s a completely different game when it’s just the charity scrambles with guys from work. It also kind of takes the fun out of it in its own way because it’s usually a 6 hour death march, you’re helping everyone look for their ball and trying to hit enough good enough shots that you get invited back, the client is happy and they can win their bragging rights at the water cooler. Now that I’m able to get back out and found some buddies/neighbors who play and we get some games going it’s much more fun. although it took about two rounds to figure out they all have vanity handicaps so we had to stop playing off their number and now I just assign their pops because I know what they’ll actually shoot and make it more interesting at least.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well, that still doesn’t sound bad. I turned pro and almost immediately decided I wouldn’t cut it. Started teaching which completely killed my love for the game, and after almost 15 years I still haven’t gotten it back. So I did university and got a regular career. I’ll only play for work or when friends pressure me. which in a way is hilarious, they only invite me to try and beat me. Devastates their confidence when I shoot around 80 when just showing up, and they know I don’t practice.
How old are you? I always thought we were roughly the same age. But reading this I don't see how that's possible. I'm also forgetting that I have been on SF for 13 years and am now old so...

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How old are you? I always thought we were roughly the same age. But reading this I don't see how that's possible. I'm also forgetting that I have been on SF for 13 years and am now old so...
I’m 38, so old as ****. Turned pro at 19 fwiw.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I am golfing today.
9 holes. Played with a guy wjo retired in 2003 so guess his age. He was good enough in the 80s to try out for the PGA. He freakin destroyed me. I was so bad holes 4 to 8 i said that's enough. (Also the fivesome(!) In front and the slow af threesome in front of them). Dude was like you make great contact with the ball but i don't know why the ball isnt getting up. He said try this when you are swinging through and slow down your back swing. On hole 9 i got to the green in 2.

My rental clubs had two five irons and five wedges.

Krish the Fish

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got out for a solo round at 7:40 this AM. The pro shop wanted me to play in the 7:50 tee time behind me so I waited for the range attendant to set it up, hit a few balls, and ended up half a tee time behind them. They only played 9, I made it through 18 in 3:20. All in all, not the worst way to spend a morning. Going to try to get as many solo rounds in as I can before season ends

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads