• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score

I think that was actually foreshadowing of cersie burning kings landing down.

They have made a big deal about all of the wildfire in the form of "aegon was crazy" and "dany, your predecessor was actually a ****** ruler"... But it is not going to be dany that burns the city.

Oh yeah, Cersi is going to try and burn KL. Just that line she said about how she's burn KL to the ground before giving up her children. The question is more what's Dany going to do with a fleet of ships, thousands of Screamers, and three dragons? All her talk to about doing what it takes to make the world a better place? That's pre-tyrant 101 speech there.

Final scene of GOT could easily be Dany's death scene and she says something like, "I just wanted to make the world a better place" then Snow decapitates her with his fancy sword.

Last edited:

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So, what about Sansa? I thought it might be possible that she doesn't tell Jon about Littlefinger because she's hoping Jon will die in the battle and not threaten her claim to Winterfell -- but then she's begging him to delay the attack. So what possible reason could she have for not telling him? And does she somehow think Littlefinger is less dangerous?

Also, Littlefinger had either entered the north or was at the border months ago, and Ramsey and company are completely unaware of him?

Ramsay's company were holed up in Winterfell. I don't think they'd be getting courtesy notes from people around the land.

Sansa didn't want Jon to know because he didn't yet trust Littlefinger and would have thought it was a bad idea.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm sure Jon will be proven right in that argument. I feel Littlefinger will extract his pound of flesh as early as next episode (the "next on" scenes hinted at this).

But they had no choice because at least they live till the next episode because of him

Last edited:

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Ramsay's company were holed up in Winterfell. I don't think they'd be getting courtesy notes from people around the land.

Sansa didn't want Jon to know because he didn't yet trust Littlefinger and would have thought it was a bad idea.

You don't think they'd have gotten word that 30,000 or so men had marched a thousand miles in their direction, and taken or somehow bypassed at least one major fort that's supposed to prevent such things from happening?

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
As long as your 3000 strong cavalry, 5000 infantry, support wagons, tents, siege equipment, cooks, food, blacksmiths, armourers, fletchers, healers, latrine diggers and assorted whores are hidden behind a hill, no one will see you coming.

"We can outlast any siege ... oh, ****. They have a strong guy."

"I know you have me surrounded with archers--and Ima let you win--but first I'm going put an arrow into the eye of your big buddy over there, then monologue as I loose three arrows at you. And your men aren't going to do a damn thing because you and I both know this is your Emmy moment."

lefty

Mariokartfever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You don't think they'd have gotten word that 30,000 or so men had marched a thousand miles in their direction, and taken or somehow bypassed at least one major fort that's supposed to prevent such things from happening?

Bingo. Scouts exist for a reason. Thousands of troops moving does not go unnoticed.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You guys are forgetting that Littlefinger constantly demonstrates that he has access to a working teleportation device.

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm sure Jon will be proven right in that argument. I feel Littlefinger will extract his pound of flesh as early as next episode (the "next on" scenes hinted at this).

But they had no choice because at least they live till the next episode because of him

I don't think Littlefinger wants a pound of flesh. I think he wants to pound flesh - with Sansa namely.

Stugotes

Reaction score
Brilliant episode! I'm usually bothered by CGI, but the battle of Winterfell was intense enough to forget about it. The atmosphere when Jon's army realized what they were up against... wow.

Only one thing, though: I wish they'd prolonged Ramsay's demise some more. His screams stopped pretty soon after the first dog ripped his face off.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't know how you can hate last night's episode. We have the Mereen plot finally moving forward: Dany is back with an army and this time she finally has her ships as well. We got to see the dragons again kicking ass (with much improved CGI than last season) The interaction between Dany and Yara was great, I didn't even know I would want such a thing but I ship it now.

The SnowBowl battle was amazing. Major props to the director (He also directed Hardhome last season), the cinematography was really outstanding. I loved the longer takes so that we could actually see what's going on. The stampede scene from Jon's pov was fantastic, one of the tensest moments in recent television. In terms of tactics, the Stark men were pretty much forced to charge once Jon ran after Rickon, they would just be leaving him to die otherwise. The pile of bodies was excessive but still pretty cool. The Boltons did keep reserves, Ramsay only sent his cavalry in at first, while keeping his archers back to shoot. Then the Bolton men-at-arms surrounded the survivors on three sides and the other northmen under Umber finished the encirclement.
While I enjoy military history and strategy too I don't really think going more into it than that is necessary for the show. It's a fantasy tv show not a historical simulation. Any more than that and most viewers will get bored.

The battle went predictably with Littlefinger showing up to save the day but we already got the setup for that a few episodes ago so it didn't come out of nowhere.

Predictable and boring battle, shaky cam cinematography, nothing but ra! ra! good guys. Danaerys riding a dragon looked so laughable. Greyworm still lamest character ever and adds nothing. Jon ignores Sansa and does what Ramsey wants and it doesn't matter anyway. Jon looks at Sansa because of his brutality when hitting Ramsey and in the next scene he's brutally fed to dogs anyway (very much an audience-pleaser and out of character for the Starks).

It was about as exciting as the last few little hills at the end of a kiddy coaster.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The cgi fleet was pretty annoying...
Bunch of stationary boats sitting in the harbor lobbing projectiles while carrying a full set of unrealistic sails. CGI sails on old ships never look great... But they make no sense for a bunch of boats that aren't actually sailing anywhere. And the dragons never look that real next to people... But they did a good job of shooting the scenes with the dragons moving in and out of frame so it looked more like a real animal flying around than something that was plopped onto the scene with "perfect" framing.

Wasnt bothered by anything really during the battle in the north. It was gripping and stressful even though you knew we were just waiting for the vale to show up. Lot of good camera use as well to minimize the need for as much obvious CGI.

And in defense of winterfell falling so soon after the retreat... The gate to the outer walls should have held against a normal army. They would have time to regroup and prepare for a siege while the attackers built/assembled siege engines. Having the giant breach the outer wall so fast spelled the end of the small force that remained inside (not all of Ramsey's forces outside of the castle would have been defeated yet, but they shut the door as soon as he returned). No time to transition defenses to the second set of walls, and not a lot of armored footsoldiers prepared for a breach... Bunch of squishy archers instead. Ramsay not shooting Jon, and then being allowed to get 3 shots off while surrounded by northern archers was a case of plot armor on both parts, but a lightly defended castle being breached by a giant who uses trees as weapons is not hugely bothersome.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Feeding Ramsay to the dogs is out of character for the Starks.

It shows that what Ramsay said to Sansa is true. Part of him is forever inside her now (she even cracks a smile as she walks away from his screams). She has spent some of her most formative years away from the Starks, in a world where the stark way leaves everyone dead.

GreenFrog

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Feeding Ramsay to the dogs is out of character for the Starks.

It shows that what Ramsay said to Sansa is true. Part of him is forever inside her now (she even cracks a smile as she walks away from his screams). She has spent some of her most formative years away from the Starks, in a world where the stark way leaves everyone dead.

Is it possible that that was a reference to her being pregnant with his kid?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 100 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 98 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 34 12.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads