• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

^ Well, but the people on her list are pretty much all quite evil.

Beric Dondarrion, Thoros of Myr, Ilyn Payne, maybe even Melisandre and Cersei. Although some of those are only on the TV version of the list.

You could argue for Cersei and Melisandre since Cersei is barely redeemable, and some people think the Red Woman is literally evil.

The rest of them though? Ilyn Payne is the executioner who killed her father. Not really the best profession out there, but he was just doing his job (unless I am forgetting some additional slights).
Beric and Thoros? Essentially working for the good of the people. I think she is mostly mad that they captured her and sold Gendry to Melisandre (who didn't actually kill him).

Her book list is a little more evil

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There just aren't enough interesting plot lines left without Jon Snow. Tywin is gone, Stannis is gone, Jaime and Bronn turned into some stupid buddy cop adventure into pointless Dorne.

We're left with Dany, who whines and only seems capable of making petulant faces, and unfortunately the Halfman is now with her so all his scenes will be tainted by her. Brienne avenged her love Renly, so she's done and even if not, eh. Arya might be interesting but her plot sort of meandered. The Faith Militant always seemed weird to me (how did they get power so fast?) but anything to bring down Cersei is okay with me. I don't care about Sansa and Reek, I wouldn't have minded if she was left for fodder for Ramsey.

NaTionS

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Didn't realize there were other Khals around... I'm guessing they're not on good terms with Dany?

Re: interesting plotlines, I think there's the potential for some good ones with the Stark kid and the magical tree people, whitewalkers or the resurrection of the Stark lady (if they decide to include it).

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
**** seems increasingly rushed and that is where it is going downhill for me. I mostly enjoyed the season - thought episode 8 was strong. Then episode 9 seemed a total shitshow - weakest of the whole show to me. Rushed, sloppy, plot lines increasingly looking shaky. Episode 10 better but still leaving a WTF flavor in the mouth that will linger for a while.

I know they want to wrap up in 7 seasons. This seems like a mistake to me. Take your time. Do it in 8. Too much time plodding up hill, too little time to tie it up left - at least in a way that is satisfactory and does some justice to the characters. Of course, if you kill off more characters, you have more time left for the few you leave over. Maybe that's part of it.

Ok, done ranting, time to wipe foam from mouth.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score

The things he did in the books are canon in the show.

I'm not sure what that means. Fans of the book can want stuff that's only the books to be canon, especially if it relates to their favorite character or storyline. But it seems pretty clear that the show is meant to stand alone, and in many instances, diverge from the books. There's certainly no working assumption that viewers will backfill their understanding with details from the books.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
So the actor is claiming he is done and Jon Snow is dead (and has cut off his long hair) and that the reports of being signed to a contract for seasons 6 and 7 were inaccurate.

Dead for real or a ruse? Obviously, you can be dead and then be revived...and maybe you are revived by the flames that burn your hair off.

Or the showrunners could just be cropping away storylines to get this thing done...Jon is dead, and lets just assume the wall's magic is strong and the white walkers will just get there and be like "****, can't get through this, lets just build some towns up here in the north and have a party". BOOM, all those stories are gone.

braised

Reaction score
OK - so the show and the book are basically caught up to each other. Now all we have is speculation, so.....

John aint "dead", no caracter POV chapter with a "lights out" at the end of it has ended in the character's death, Tyrion at Blackwater being a prime example. As we see Melisandre ride into Castle Black, she has some role to play otherwise no need for the scene. I'm thinking her role is one of two things, resurrect John Snow or get re-inforcements. More on the latter in a moment. On John, perhaps the red magic from Mellisandre will bring him back or perhaps, when they go to burn his body to stop him from coming back, he will emerge from the flames. Speculation that he is a Targaryian (R+L=J) might support that. Or maybe, he'll come back all blue-eyed and mad as **** with an army of his own.

Now on Stannis, he used blood magic and everything around him turned to ****. Lost his army, cavalry, daughter, wife; totally lost his way. So in the name of "duty" he accepted his fate and died for it. But we didn't see it, so we gotta question it. On face value, Mellisandre has been a plot mover so either she is a charlatan taking advantage of situations or she's the real deal in terms of making things happen. If the former, then she doesn't have a role to play and there was no need to show her going into Castle Black. But if we take her at face value and accept that she "saw Stannis victorious at Winterfell" then lets see what speculation is necessary to support that. Let's posit that he's not dead, having made some pact with Brianne to rescue Sansa and restore the North or some other intervening event occurring, e.g. Sansa and Reek come bumbling along. We know that Davos is in Castle Black to find support, and despite John Snow saying that he has no men and that the Wildlings wont fight, I think that Davos will prevail. First,, if Davos is anything, he is persuasive. With John Snow presumably dead, the Wildlings have no ally and might agree to a treaty with Davos to march on Winterfell, it being preferred to being slaughtered by the Nights Watch. If Davos uses Snow's murder that way, he'd have an army with which to capture Winterfell and they might just find Stannis along the way, making the red-*****'s vision a reality.

Still, lots of "ifs".

I came to like Srannis, that is until be toasted his little girl, so I can go either way but my bet is that he's gone and the red-***** is there to bring John back. Davos will still take the Wildlings to capture Winterfell and install Sansa as the ruler, taking position as her hand.

As I recall from the books, the Wildlings march with Stannis and the story ends with them mired in the snow. The show just accelerated and compressed bits but in both cases, Winterfell's fate is not known.

Now to Dorne. Alaria Sand gets her wish to start a war, sadly at the cost of Tristain. With Marcella poisoned and no antidote, the Lanister's will hate the Martell's all the more. And with Tristain now effectively the first captive of this war, the Martell's will hate the Lannisters. Now, if we can get more of the perfect **** of that girl, it might be worth it. Still have no idea what role these events play other than to show that the men of the 7 kingdoms are distracted as the major threat in the North gather's strength

And Mereen, so good to see Varys. He and Tyrion should be able to rule that city. What happens in the books when Danny flies off isn't known but Mereen seems in capable hands. The fighting pits having been a bad idea, time to turn to the second oldest tradition and open the brothels.

Danny "surrounded" is a good ending but we all gotta believe that she is not going to end up raped and made some horse-lord's third wife but that Drogon is going to burn up the valley. Its more or less from the book, the show-runners keeping the firestorm as the centerpiece for s6e1. I for one am looking forward to that CGI.

What else do we have?

Sansa on the run. Good to see her away from that Ramsay ****. But the past being our guide, he has a way of catching up with fleeing prey. Let's hope Brienne gets in the way.

Arya is perfecting her skills as a psychopath. The quiet man/Jacquar's lessons with the switch came to use, letting her withstand some abuse from Merrin Trant before really giving him a full-on hurting. Go girl. Sad about the writing being lost from the book. It would have been great is she'd offed the money-guy by the docks and then offed trant, saying that No-one killed the first and Arya Stark killed the second. Her role in the big good versus evil, fire versus ice has yet to be understood.

Poor Jorah has the terminal psoriasis. Will be, like John Covington in the book, return to Westeros to spread the plague? We've got magic and mayhem with the White Walkers and the goings-on with the 8 houses (time to give the church its due), why not add a biological event into the mix.

Bran? He's with the Greenseer learning greenseer-y things. He might be able to control a dragon, at a minimum he's got some role to play in the battle against the north. Winter, as they say, is coming.

I for one loved the season, wished it was hours and hours longer.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Let me try:

Brienne was killed by Stannis after making that slow, slashing attack against a heavily armored man

Stannis, who by my count should have still had thousands of soldiers, rather than a few hundred as depicted in the battle, which turns out have to have been a diversion, takes the castle with the balance of his force while it's almost undefended. He's subsequently defeated and executed by Littlefinger.

Sansa and Theon died when they hit the ground (apparently people actually think this might be what happened to them).

Dany is gang raped and murdered

The Dothraki are killed off by steppe horsemen armed with bows, lances, and other weapons that give them more than a foot of reach from their horses

Cersei had been killed and replaced by a faceless man a few episodes back, explaining why she looked like someone who'd never had kids.

Myrcella is saved because Bronn bought some of the antidote at the Dornish Walgreens, just in case. In fact literally everyone who saw the kiss tried to give Jamie the antidote because it was so obvious.

Jon Snow recovers after 8 months and tracks Thorn to Italy, where he is posing as a British professor.

Tyrion is killed by that prostitute helping the harpies.

Arya gets her eyesight back but by then she's on social security disability. She decides it beats working for a living.

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
the after show "making the episode" episode had the two producers confirm stannis and jon is dead. i guess that doesn't leave out them coming back to life

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Why was the field outside of Winterfell completely free of snow (Ramsay excepted). I mean, the entire ridge with horses was green and lush. It had been snowing for a month or more. Stannis was bogged down. Winterfell should have had drifts up to peoples heads, but it was still ankle deep inside the walls where people were walking constantly. Yet, lush and green. I mean a a little consistency would be nice.

And, where the hell was Dany. She wasn't near Slaver's Bay, which is dessert. She wasn't near the Dothraki sea, which is tall flat grasses. Was she also in Ireland/Scotland? I mean the North?

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

So the actor is claiming he is done and Jon Snow is dead (and has cut off his long hair) and that the reports of being signed to a contract for seasons 6 and 7 were inaccurate.

Dead for real or a ruse? Obviously, you can be dead and then be revived...and maybe you are revived by the flames that burn your hair off.

Or the showrunners could just be cropping away storylines to get this thing done...Jon is dead, and lets just assume the wall's magic is strong and the white walkers will just get there and be like "****, can't get through this, lets just build some towns up here in the north and have a party". BOOM, all those stories are gone.

The red ***** will revive/heal him somehow or at least play a part in it. I can't think of any other reason for her to return to Castle Black. I guess could pull it off at the next seasons finale. Also obviously she sees someone special in Jon and his heritage still remains a mystery.

Last edited:

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The fact that he cut off his hair doesn't mean much. She could easily perform a ritual that involves cutting his hair (wig) as a step to bring him back.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 98 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads