• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Japanese BDU Camo Cargo Pants are now live. These cargos are based off vintage US Army BDU (Battle Dress Uniform) cargos. They're made of a premium 13.5-ounce Japanese twill that has been sulfur dyed for a vintage look. Every detail has been carried over from the inspiration and elevated. Available in two colorways, tundra and woodland. Please find them here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Apparently there will be fifteen episodes left in the series, maximum. That's unfortunately a small amount of time to properly tie up all the characters' stories.

Lefty, I'd be sincerely interested in your thoughts on how the writers and directors could have done things differently to maintain the books' message.

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

There's none of that intrigue of "who's the one actually pulling the strings and what's his or her goal?" that's throughout the books.* Then again the subtlety is obviously lost on a lot of TV watchers that need to be spoon-fed. (Case in point: people who think Ned screwed his sister.)

I'm going to give you the benefit of the doubt and take this as a joke. Otherwise, damn.

Van Veen

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't know which part of my post you're reacting to, but if it's the "Ned screwed his sister" part, you seriously lack critical thinking skills.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Apparently there will be fifteen episodes left in the series, maximum. That's unfortunately a small amount of time to properly tie up all the characters' stories.

Lefty, I'd be sincerely interested in your thoughts on how the writers and directors could have done things differently to maintain the books' message.

These guys have a massive hit on their hands and I'm struggling to get my new show off the ground, so what do I know? But...

It's an impossible task to adopt an epic that remains unwritten and what has been published is filled with superfluous plot. (Had Martin not wasted time on pointless **** this thing might be done by now.) It's also tough to please an enormous fan base who obsess over every detail and know more about the world than you ever will.

That said, the first season was pretty good while being faithful to the book. Why? Because they adapted to make the material suitable for TV which is very different than adapting to make the material "better". Far too much of the latter going on now.

So, what to do? Adapt as faithfully as possible within the confines of budget and time. Recognize that there are a number of fan-loved moments and it's in the show's best interest to keep those intact. And if you're going to detour, it'd better be ******* great.

I'm continually shocked on how they **** up fan gifts by altering beloved lines and scenes for no reason whatsoever. "Edd, fetch me a block" becomes "Ollie, bring me my sword" and adds nothing to the story while pissing off a lot of fans.

Occasionally, they get one right. The Tywin/Arya scenes were great and I really liked Margaery. But then there's the Jaime/Bronn travel show and it all comes crashing down. Never thought I would say this ... I'm really sick of Bronn.

---

As to King Snow, common knowledge would be that he abandoned his oath as I doubt the fact that he has been killed and resurrected has spread at all. But let's say it has. Someone explain to me how the northern lords who follow the old gods would accept a dead person brought back to life by an acolyte of the Lord of Light as their king? I'm sure the books give a longer more logical explanation for this and I'm also sure that Snow does well in the battle, but the show failed miserably.

lefty

Last edited:

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

These guys have a massive hit on their hands and I'm struggling to get my new show off the ground, so what do I know? But...

It's an impossible task to adopt an epic that remains unwritten and what has been published is filled with superfluous plot. (Had Martin not wasted time on pointless **** this thing might be done by now.) It's also tough to please an enormous fan base who obsess over every detail and know more about the world than you ever will.

That said, the first season was pretty good while being faithful to the book. Why? Because they adapted to make the material suitable for TV which is very different than adapting to make the material "better". Far too much of the latter going on now. 

So, what to do? Adapt as faithfully as possible within the confines of budget and time. Recognize that there are a number of fan-loved moments and it's in the show's best interest to keep those intact. And if you're going to detour, it'd better be ******* great. 

I'm continually shocked on how they **** up fan gifts by altering beloved lines and scenes for no reason whatsoever. "Edd, fetch me a block" becomes "Ollie, bring me my sword" and adds nothing to the story while pissing off a lot of fans.

Occasionally, they get one right. The Tywin/Arya scenes were great and I really liked Margaery. But then there's the Jaime/Bronn travel show and it all comes crashing down. Never thought I would say this ... I'm really sick of Bronn. 

---

As to King Snow, common knowledge would be that he abandoned his oath as I doubt the fact that he has been killed and resurrected has spread at all. But let's say it has. Someone explain to me how the northern lords who follow the old gods would accept a dead person brought back to life by an acolyte of the Lord of Light as their king? I'm sure the books give a longer more logical explanation for this and I'm also sure that Snow does well in the battle, but the show failed miserably.

lefty

Thanks for this, Lefty. I suppose the most intolerable thing about the show is the reassignment of dialogue to other characters and just changing the dialogue. That is sloppy and insulting to the readers. From the chatter that I've read, they've had access to GRRM this whole time, so I don't see why they would take note of and maintain those critical components that make the story great in the first place. There's a time restraint, of course, but also do some things, if included, become detrimental to the narrative of a TV show?

Mariokartfever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this, Lefty. I suppose the most intolerable thing about the show is the reassignment of dialogue to other characters and just changing the dialogue. That is sloppy and insulting to the readers. From the chatter that I've read, they've had access to GRRM this whole time, so I don't see why they would take note of and maintain those critical components that make the story great in the first place. There's a time restraint, of course, but also do some things, if included, become detrimental to the narrative of a TV show?

It's a show aiming to maximize audience; I'm just assuming their shifting everything to the lowest common denominator. Lots of pandering to millennial women the last few seasons.

GraphicNovelty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
nerds will watch and even if they don't they're a small portion of the potential audience. "insulting to readers" lmao get over yourselves. You read a ******* book D&D doesn't owe you ****..

There's no marginal benefit to shoehorning in fanservice. internet keyboard warriors don't mean *********** grand scheme of things, they're just the loudest whiners when they don't get their bottle.

Last edited:

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm really torn about watching. They've spoiled the hell out of it (goodbye Aegon, Rickon and Tommen) and it will be impossible to avoid any mention of the finale even if I don't watch.

But I'll probably be dead before Martin finishes this **** so whattaya gonna do?

lefty

Ataturk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I don't know which part of my post you're reacting to, but if it's the "Ned screwed his sister" part, you seriously lack critical thinking skills.

You're going on about subtlety and spoon feeding and critical thinking skills, and all that, but you still don't seem to realize that the comment you picked on was just a joke.

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I pretty much wrote off show/book connection when they wrote Strong Belwas out of the story.

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In fairness, Rhaegar is hardly talked about in the show. My mind would not have jumped to him being the father if I hadn't read the books and already awaiting this revelation.

This Ned/Arthur Dayne/Lyanna flashback does make me think, though - the next GoT season may very well reserve a full episode or three to fully tell the whole Aegon/Rhaegar/Lyanna/Ned/Robert/Jamie story arc as a flashback. That would be cool

Last edited:

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd almost think they have to do that. Without reading the books or following the internet chatter, the full implications of the Tower of Joy flashback aren't going to be clear to most viewers. A flashback episode to explain Rhaegar, Lyanna and Robert, as well as give some context of the Mad King and Jaime's decision to kill him could be useful and interesting.

They've said they're going to milk this for two shortened seasons and a total of fifteen episodes, and honestly, I don't think there's that much story left to tell. They've killed off so many major characters and pared back so many storylines, there's really not much left. 1) kill Cersei, 2) kill the Night King and the White Walkers, 3) put Dany on the Iron Throne, 4) reunite the Stark kids, 5) kill Littlefinger, 6) everyone lives happily ever after. There are a few other loose ends in there to tie off, but that would cover it for the majority of the audience. That could all be done in a single ten episode season, especially if they ditched filler **** like Dorne.

Last edited:

wojt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
please no more dorne...
i feel like drinking whole bottle of bleach each time they get screen time

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 106 36.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 37 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 47 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 42 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads