• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Official Customs, Duties, and International Shipping Questions and Stories Thread

deluzion

Reaction score
Have some experience to share and a question to ask

I live in Indonesia. For me, to purchase something from from outside country has been real challenge (from US, Japan, UK, even Singapore which is closer). Not every online shops are willing to ship internationally, and even for some shops that would ship internationally, Indonesia is not listed for some.

Nevertheless, I have made some purchases from Japan, US, HK since 2012. Mostly books, boots, shirts, t-shirts, accessories. Shipping from US to Indonesia usually costs me around 35-50 USD via USPS and takes 3-4 weeks for me to get. Sometimes I can track that the parcel arrives in Indonesia within 10 days, but the custom clearance process takes longer.

Custom duty? Almost all the time, I got hit 50-60% from the declared value. We get free custom duty up to 50 USD, but over that, it's 50% cost hit guaranteed. Had some experiences where I contacted the seller to mark the parcel value lower than 50 USD. Sometimes they got through without custom hit, but sometimes the custom officer was smart to check the actual price online and I still got hit.

To give a better perspective, I purchased Alden Indy at full price $512 + $50 for shipping. I got hit $278 for Custom Duty.

Now a question.

Earlier this year I bought something from GentryNYC. They charged 15 USD for international shipping to Indonesia which was nice. But unfortunately, Gentry has raised the international shipping to i think 35 USD. My question is, does anyone know any shops that has that low international shipping cost? Around 15-20 is fine.

Cheers!

1989thenumber

Reaction score
I can't help with regard to who charges what for shipping, but I can give you some info on why a lot of websites won't ship to Indonesia.

A friend works for one of the big logistics companies in Singapore and the problem they have with Indonesia is how much payment fraud there is, and then corruption, theft, inefficiency and extortion once a package arrives in country. It's difficult for them to operate in that environment. The second worst place for this is Russia, apparently.

Though to be fair, you could probably call most state postal systems' high charges for processing and duty collection a form of extortion. :)

This is second hand info and I've got nothing against Indonesia - it's a shame you're inconvenienced so much due to the state of affairs in Indonesia.

Imagine if Lee Kuan Yew had run Indonesia instead of Singapore. It would probably be more powerful than China by now. But that's probably a topic for a different thread. :)

Last edited:

Vickt

Reaction score
Does an item manufactured in Canada, but bought and shipped from an EU retailer to the US avoid duties through NAFTA?

Guess I'm asking if it's the item's origin of manufacture or shipped location that matters?

zzzzap

Reaction score
Anybody know if Menlook has any custom or duty issues for orders to the US?

Last edited:

zzzzap

Reaction score
Awesome.

This may all be moot as long as they mark at it the discounted price.

Last edited:

tjonesd2

Reaction score
Anyone been hit by customs on wingsandhorns.com shipping to the US? Look at some made-in-italy sneakers.

greene

Reaction score
I have searched this thread about Norse Store and saw comments on shipping to Canada. However, has anyone in the US ordered from Norse Store? (Item is over $200).

Mon Dieu

Reaction score
Yes, took about a month to get...Can't remember if I was tagged with any duties or not, I do not believe so. This was 2013.

On a related note, invoice from FedEx/End. $48 USD

Good luck

BLAUGRANA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Be wary of Menlook. They use UPS and I got hit hard. I think it was free shipping though so that cancels it out a bit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 45 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads