• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The Uniform/LA Lennon Loose Fit jeans drop is now live! Check out both the light Palms and dark Lithium Both are made from premium Japanese right hand 3x1 denim in the USA,. Uniform/LA is know for premium materials and meticulous pattern making. Support a small business built on quality and integrity.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Offical TRICKERS shoes and boots thread

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
Gentlemen,
My Bourtons arrived today! I love the acorn color! It’s not as bright as it seems in photos. Dropping down 1/2 size from my normal UK size was the right move. I’m normally a UK 6/ US 7D(yes, I have small feet ☺️) and ordered these in a UK 5.5. As expected, they are quite stiff right out of the box and I’m getting a bit of heel slippage. However, I assume this will subside as the soles break in. Trickers describes these shoes as “characteristically strong”. That’s a bit of an understatement. The term, “s**t kickers” comes to mind, but in an English country gent’s way! 😉 I’m proud to finally own a piece of Northampton history. These are my first Trickers but probably not my last.
Congratulations. You'll get tired of them, but they wont get tired of you.

Reaction score
Trickers Stow Lightweight Black Muflone 4497s UK10F (1).jpg
Trickers Stow Lightweight Black Muflone 4497s UK10F (2).jpg Trickers Stow Lightweight Black Muflone 4497s UK10F (3).jpg Trickers Stow Black Muflone UK10F & Silvia Brown Olivvia Deer 7C (4).jpg

Gentlemen,

I recently bought Tricker's Stow boots in black Muflone (and also Silvia Chelsea boots in brown Olivvia deerskin), and I'm pleased how comfortable they are! Here is my review:

Sizing

My Stow country derby boots are made on Tricker's 4497s last. The 4497s is a derby shoe (Woodstock, Matlock, Daniel, Elthea) last, not a stereotypical boot last. It is true to the derby shoe size.

My feet are 10F UK (10.5D US) on men's Brannock device. I have high arches, high insteps, and average masculine inside and outside lines. I can sometimes wear 9.5F UK boots, but not with Tricker's Stows. These boots in 9.5F UK are too tight and pinch my pinky toe.

However, a small minority of gentlemen with narrow feet, feminine pinky toes, and comfort fitting in pointed-toe shoes might be able to half size down.

Fit

The Stows' 4497s is a short, deep, and high-instep last.

While Stows in 10F UK have the correct heel-to-ball length for my feet, they are short and deep. My feet would slide longitudinally with thin socks. Thus, I inserted a pair of 3mm insoles to offset the extra toe box depth. When the winter comes, I can take out the insoles and wear thick winter socks.

The boots' quarters don't have much of a V gap on my high-instep feet. Thus, the Stows might not even fit gentlemen with low instep feet.

Comfort

My Stow boots come with Tricker's Lightweight single leather soles. These are my most comfortable leather soled footwear I have owned. They are flexible and induce little to no extra fatigue when walking. Using forefeet muscles is important to reduce impact force on the heels, because after all these are not running shoes.

However, the Stow boots lack cushioning on the soles. Therefore, if I sit at a desk or a table for long hours, they are painful for my feet.

I sometimes have to change my footwear in the middle of the day, which informs me about how my footwear would rank in term of comfort. Here is how I rank them with a comfort score from 10 (most comfortable) to 1 (least comfortable):

[10] Santoni Salem Oxfords (rubber sole)
[10] Allen Edmonds Fifth Avenue Oxfords (Dainite sole)
[7] Tricker's Stow derby boots (Lightweight single leather sole)
[7] Carmina cap-toe Oxfords (York rubber sole)
[6] Carmina semi brogue cap-toe Oxfords (single leather sole)
[6] TBNY Aidan Oxfords (single leather sole)
[5] Magnanni Santiago Oxfords (single leather sole)

Craftsmanship

I find that my Stow boots are made by exceptionally experienced cordwainers. They are not obsessed with cosmetic details like Crockett & Jones or Gaziano & Girling, but the work is brilliant and confident. The boots crease minimally, almost like the bespokes.

Construction

These Stow boots are Goodyear storm welt, with open channel stitching. The result is a pair of sturdy boots without feeling too much restriction of feet movements.

Muflone leather

It's warm in the cold and breathable in the sultry. I love.

Shine

I believe that Tricker's uses open pore leathers like Allen Edmonds does. The leather is thirsty for Saphir Medaille d'Or mink oil.

Hence, I shined them with (1) Saphir Creme Universelle, (2) Saphir Medaille d'Or mink oil, (3) Saphir Pate de Luxe wet wax, and (4) Saphir Traveler's wax on the toe and outside counters only, and like the results.

Lace

My Stow boots come with 7 eyelets and 46" boot laces.

Shipping

Prompt, fast, and reliable.

Customer service

Tricker's online sales customer service leaves a lot to be desired. I find them even less courteous than Carmina's. The official website discloses only a customer service email. You have to make a purchase, in order to receive the two customer service phone numbers on the receipt papers in the shoe box.

If you have to return Tricker's footwear bought on the official website, be absolutely sure to request a UPS/DHL return shipping stamp (even if takes more than a week for Tricker's to get back to you), and Tricker's will send you 3 copies of commercial invoice and necessary documentation. Tricker's will deduct the return shipping cost on your refund.

Even if your return is approved by Tricker's and you mark the shipping box with "British Return Goods," without the correct documentation, Tricker's or His Majesty's Revenue and Customs will probably send back shipment. And when you finally get your shipment back, it may have well exceed Tricker's 28-day return window. You then might have to sell the footwear on Ebay with a monetary loss.

Ladies' Silvia Chelsea boots

I also bought a pair of Silvia Chelseas from Tricker's. When I open the box, I was immediately impressed by the superb craftsmanship. They are Goodyear storm welt but very slim. The cosmetic details are substantially better than Tricker's men's footwear, rivaling Crockett & Jones products.

They are made on Tricker's 6230 last, which is true to size. At 7C UK they fit lady's feet perfectly. I was able to choose Vibram Vi-Lite rubber soles, which turn out to be top-tier comfortable among GYW ladies' ankle boots. I conclude that these are a great buy and a hearty gift.

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bourtons n Sign, Caramel, Moss/Crocodile & Snuff Kudu worn this week.
20240916_114314.jpg
20240916_114337.jpg
20240917_105054.jpg
20240917_105105.jpg
20240918_092709.jpg
20240918_092733.jpg
20240919_085342.jpg
20240919_085359.jpg

Fenners81

Reaction score

Sole Boy

Reaction score
View attachment 2247813
View attachment 2247815 View attachment 2247817 View attachment 2247819

Gentlemen,

I recently bought Tricker's Stow boots in black Muflone (and also Silvia Chelsea boots in brown Olivvia deerskin), and I'm pleased how comfortable they are! Here is my review:

Sizing

My Stow country derby boots are made on Tricker's 4497s last. The 4497s is a derby shoe (Woodstock, Matlock, Daniel, Elthea) last, not a stereotypical boot last. It is true to the derby shoe size.

My feet are 10F UK (10.5D US) on men's Brannock device. I have high arches, high insteps, and average masculine inside and outside lines. I can sometimes wear 9.5F UK boots, but not with Tricker's Stows. These boots in 9.5F UK are too tight and pinch my pinky toe.

However, a small minority of gentlemen with narrow feet, feminine pinky toes, and comfort fitting in pointed-toe shoes might be able to half size down.

Fit

The Stows' 4497s is a short, deep, and high-instep last.

While Stows in 10F UK have the correct heel-to-ball length for my feet, they are short and deep. My feet would slide longitudinally with thin socks. Thus, I inserted a pair of 3mm insoles to offset the extra toe box depth. When the winter comes, I can take out the insoles and wear thick winter socks.

The boots' quarters don't have much of a V gap on my high-instep feet. Thus, the Stows might not even fit gentlemen with low instep feet.

Comfort

My Stow boots come with Tricker's Lightweight single leather soles. These are my most comfortable leather soled footwear I have owned. They are flexible and induce little to no extra fatigue when walking. Using forefeet muscles is important to reduce impact force on the heels, because after all these are not running shoes.

However, the Stow boots lack cushioning on the soles. Therefore, if I sit at a desk or a table for long hours, they are painful for my feet.

I sometimes have to change my footwear in the middle of the day, which informs me about how my footwear would rank in term of comfort. Here is how I rank them with a comfort score from 10 (most comfortable) to 1 (least comfortable):

[10] Santoni Salem Oxfords (rubber sole)
[10] Allen Edmonds Fifth Avenue Oxfords (Dainite sole)
[7] Tricker's Stow derby boots (Lightweight single leather sole)
[7] Carmina cap-toe Oxfords (York rubber sole)
[6] Carmina semi brogue cap-toe Oxfords (single leather sole)
[6] TBNY Aidan Oxfords (single leather sole)
[5] Magnanni Santiago Oxfords (single leather sole)

Craftsmanship

I find that my Stow boots are made by exceptionally experienced cordwainers. They are not obsessed with cosmetic details like Crockett & Jones or Gaziano & Girling, but the work is brilliant and confident. The boots crease minimally, almost like the bespokes.

Construction

These Stow boots are Goodyear storm welt, with open channel stitching. The result is a pair of sturdy boots without feeling too much restriction of feet movements.

Muflone leather

It's warm in the cold and breathable in the sultry. I love.

Shine

I believe that Tricker's uses open pore leathers like Allen Edmonds does. The leather is thirsty for Saphir Medaille d'Or mink oil.

Hence, I shined them with (1) Saphir Creme Universelle, (2) Saphir Medaille d'Or mink oil, (3) Saphir Pate de Luxe wet wax, and (4) Saphir Traveler's wax on the toe and outside counters only, and like the results.

Lace

My Stow boots come with 7 eyelets and 46" boot laces.

Shipping

Prompt, fast, and reliable.

Customer service

Tricker's online sales customer service leaves a lot to be desired. I find them even less courteous than Carmina's. The official website discloses only a customer service email. You have to make a purchase, in order to receive the two customer service phone numbers on the receipt papers in the shoe box.

If you have to return Tricker's footwear bought on the official website, be absolutely sure to request a UPS/DHL return shipping stamp (even if takes more than a week for Tricker's to get back to you), and Tricker's will send you 3 copies of commercial invoice and necessary documentation. Tricker's will deduct the return shipping cost on your refund.

Even if your return is approved by Tricker's and you mark the shipping box with "British Return Goods," without the correct documentation, Tricker's or His Majesty's Revenue and Customs will probably send back shipment. And when you finally get your shipment back, it may have well exceed Tricker's 28-day return window. You then might have to sell the footwear on Ebay with a monetary loss.

Ladies' Silvia Chelsea boots

I also bought a pair of Silvia Chelseas from Tricker's. When I open the box, I was immediately impressed by the superb craftsmanship. They are Goodyear storm welt but very slim. The cosmetic details are substantially better than Tricker's men's footwear, rivaling Crockett & Jones products.

They are made on Tricker's 6230 last, which is true to size. At 7C UK they fit lady's feet perfectly. I was able to choose Vibram Vi-Lite rubber soles, which turn out to be top-tier comfortable among GYW ladies' ankle boots. I conclude that these are a great buy and a hearty gift.
What an excellent and informative review, thank you.

shahtirthak

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the look of Bourtons but by feet just can’t get on with all the 4s. Very frustrating.
Of the 4 pairs, one pair is UK13 and the other 3 are UK12...the ideal.size would be UK12.5 which are not made!
UK13 with a 3/4th insole + UK12 shoes with UK13 shoe trees do the trick.

Humpty_Dumpty_Rises

Reaction score
I love the look of Bourtons but by feet just can’t get on with all the 4s. Very frustrating.
@Fenners81 , I'm afraid not all men can carry off the aura of a Bourton. It is a rounded toe shape and not an elongated shoe. When worn, it generally makes your feet look somewhat smaller when viewed from a side angle. Its what i call the "New Balance sneaker syndrome".

The aesthetic beauty of the Bourton is elevated when someone like @shahtirthak puts them on owed to his infamous foot size.

Ypuh

Reaction score
The Evedon's in cafe repello suede arrived this week. Unfortunately, the faces already touch. My experience is that feet sink in the cork and you loose another ~10mm, so decided to return them. They are the same size (10) and last (4497) as both my Stow's, which have like a 2cm gap between the laces. The suede did feel really nice and soft, which probably is also the primary reason they follow your feet more closely. I did like them, but not absolutely love them (I'm not a suede fan).

They would've probably seen lots of wear as the simple Chukka style allows for a bit more business casual and can be worn to the office, whereas I wear my Stow's only casually. I now have to sit on my hands not to order the new C&J Islays in green rough-out as I don't need another pair of casual boots.

Attachments

• 20240917_181807.jpg
    20240917_181807.jpg
    550.3 KB · Views: 7

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kyle43