• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nordstrom Rack = marginal quality...

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Twotone
I stopped into a local Rack over the weekend and was surprised to see the decline in men's suits. It looked less like a Nordstroms and more like a TJ Max. The Nordstroms across the street carries a few nice suit lines -- Hickey Freeman, Armani, Canali, etc. Not a single "high-end" suit at the rack. Same for ties. Is there any connection between brands at Nordstroms and the Rack these days or do the stores just share a name? Is this just Denver or are other Racks the same?

Thanks in advance!

Twotone

I agree. The rack in Atlanta is awful. I've been several times b/c SFers say you have to try seasonally shopping. The suits lines consist of Calvin Klein, Ben Sherman and HF Limited. No Canali or Armani. The casual wear is awful and is more in line with a TJ Maxx. The shoes are terrible and Nordstroms should really be ashamed that they would connect their name with the awful store.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SpooPoker
oh yeah XMI ties. :gag:

XMI ties are great for the money. I got one for 20 bucks and it ties a great knot. I got an XMI and 6 talbot ties for 210 bucks.

mktitsworth

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They just opened this past weekend a Rack in Arlington, TX. As said before, it was about 95% crap with some gems. The most interesting stuff were the Hickey Freeman and Talbott ties for decent prices. Some HF shirts. There were also some Allen Edmonds up in the shoes, but nothing I wanted. Their selection of cufflinks was great though.

amemovox

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Twotone
I stopped into a local Rack over the weekend and was surprised to see the decline in men's suits. It looked less like a Nordstroms and more like a TJ Max. The Nordstroms across the street carries a few nice suit lines -- Hickey Freeman, Armani, Canali, etc. Not a single "high-end" suit at the rack. Same for ties. Is there any connection between brands at Nordstroms and the Rack these days or do the stores just share a name? Is this just Denver or are other Racks the same?

Thanks in advance!

Twotone

I too have noticed a change at the Rack. Although never a panacea of quality, one could always find Abboud suits and HS&M Gold Trumpeter suits for a reasonable price. Also, mainline Hickey Freeman could be found. As of late, it reminds me of Marshalls or Ross.

TRA8324

Reaction score
Off 5th seems to be the best. I was at one last month and saw all sorts of good stuff. Lots of Brunello Cucinelli, some high end Polo RL, some Michael Bastian...

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nordstrom in general has embraced the low end. During the last few years they've realized that their mainline stores took a hit with everyone else in retail, but their rack stores were growing a lot. They've been opening mass rack stores, as well as buying hautelook, while at the same time trimming their mainline stores of higher end items and adding cheaper things. For example in their men's shoes, during 2006-07 when the economy wasn't ****, they had a lot more designer shoes prada gucci d&g. while not a forum favorite, they were still $$, also had a lot more santoni/ferragamo etc. where as fast foward to the present, their santoni's and ferragamo's are the same styles they've been carrying for the last 2 years, whereas they've added a whole line up of florsheim, j&m, and josef siebel?

Fred H.

Reaction score
The Rack IS just like thrifting. I live very close to the Gaithersburg store and my wife and I hit it sometimes as often as once a week. Nearly all of my RT Best of Class ties are from there. Also picked up a number of Zanella and Canali trousers, HF SCs, and high-end Loro Piana cashmere and lambswool overcoats in years past. The SAs are generally pretty helpful in letting you know what's from the regular stores and what's been purchased just for the Rack.

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fred H.
The Rack IS just like thrifting. I live very close to the Gaithersburg store and my wife and I hit it sometimes as often as once a week. Nearly all of my RT Best of Class ties are from there. Also picked up a number of Zanella and Canali trousers, HF SCs, and high-end Loro Piana cashmere and lambswool overcoats in years past. The SAs are generally pretty helpful in letting you know what's from the regular stores and what's been purchased just for the Rack.
Lucky you - our Rack (Orlando, FL) is total junk. Not even Zanella or Hickey of any kind. It's a Ben Sherman and Abboud craptastic love fest. I stopped going entirely, even on my thrifting scavenger hunts; it just isn't even worth the time to hunt through. There is a zero chance of finding anything worth spending money on. Still, I always see it packed with middle class label whores, so they are doing fine from a business perspective.

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mktitsworth
They just opened this past weekend a Rack in Arlington, TX. As said before, it was about 95% crap with some gems. The most interesting stuff were the Hickey Freeman and Talbott ties for decent prices. Some HF shirts. There were also some Allen Edmonds up in the shoes, but nothing I wanted. Their selection of cufflinks was great though.

Have you been to the one in Plano lately?

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fred H.

Any opinion on the Last Call on Rockville Pike?

csoukoulis

Reaction score
Originally Posted by mktitsworth
Didn't even know there was one in Plano. That would be alot closer. Is it any good?
Yea its on Park and Preston. Was actually about to head up there in a bit to look for socks lol. Where do you live? Im in Frisco. And its hit or miss btw.

Icehawk

Reaction score
I agree with the general sentiment about the Rack - the one by me rarely has anything exciting although I have found one or two items including one of my favorite casual jackets. And damn, they had Bally deerskin loafers one time I wanted so bad but I'm not a 7. Generally the best you'll see on a given visit is a single rack of lower end designer shirts (Boss, M Kors). Suit choices are terrible. I did score some nice underwear last time, go figure. There is a 2nd location that just opened near me but I doubt I will check it out very often as the location isn't as convenient - I pretty much only visit the current one because it is very easy to get to.

Last Call is a bit better as a whole but their suit collection is crappy too - they step up to HF and Boss but that is usually it. Shoe selection is OK, typically nothing special but I've seen Prada and Zegna XXX once. They tend to have a fair selection of mid-grade brand clothing.

SaksOF tends to have a pretty good selection of suits but the shoe selection has plummeted - a year ago they would have a wall of designer (Gucci, etc) shoes closing out now they just have random racks of junk and the wall is cheap Penguin sneakers. Typically excellent general merchandise (shirts, pants, jeans, etc) but poorly organized at times. Has a large streetwear section that I don't frequent.

My new favorite is Bloomingdale's Outlet, it may be because it just opened but I've been twice and had to restrain myself from spending. Well organized racks, great selection and a ton of sport coats not just suits (I find the other outlets have very few sport coats). Almost no shoes to speak of. Also a serious lack of mirrors in the men's section - I shouldn't need to walk halfway across the department every time I try a jacket on! They have a large streetwear section and I noticed seperate Polo & Burberry areas last time I was there.

I would say my buying goes:

Nord Rack - purchase 1 item every 2-3 trips
NM LC - purchase 1 item every 2 trip
Saks Off 5th - purchase 1-2 items every trip
Bloomies - purchase 2-4 items every trip

If I was a woman the story would likely be different - hell all 4 stores seems to have a lot more & better merchandise, particularly shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads