• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nordstrom Rack = marginal quality...

Twotone

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I stopped into a local Rack over the weekend and was surprised to see the decline in men's suits. It looked less like a Nordstroms and more like a TJ Max. The Nordstroms across the street carries a few nice suit lines -- Hickey Freeman, Armani, Canali, etc. Not a single "high-end" suit at the rack. Same for ties. Is there any connection between brands at Nordstroms and the Rack these days or do the stores just share a name? Is this just Denver or are other Racks the same?

Thanks in advance!

Twotone

Cary Grant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've always thought that true of the Rack. Occasionally something nice sneaks in. Keep in mind several brands do not allow themselves to be placed on clearance like that.

StopPolloition

Reaction score
There's a lot of stuff at the rack that is made or carried specifically for the rack. For suits you really just have to look for the hanging sleeve tag that says its from the regular Nordstrom store. Even then, most of that stuff isn't that amazing either. Sometimes you get some cool stuff at Nordstrom rack, but most of it is kind of lame stuff. I picked up a Spiewak jacket a couple weeks from there for about $60. Pretty cool casual jacket. I don't buy suits there.

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
+1. It's basically a crapshoot, most of the stuff will be made for Rack stuff or lower end Hugo Boss, Robert Talbott, or Dirty English crap.

I did find a pair of AE Moras there last week, but it was very old, the buckles were messed up, and the shoes seemed uneven for some reason.

acecow

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There were some Burberry navy blazers at a Rack near me. Also, a Versace sport coat, which fit me very well, but cost like 400 bucks. Other than that, I agree that it's mostly crap.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
95% of Nordstrom Rack is crap, but there are always some hidden gems. Example: Robert Talbott OTC socks for $6.

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
QUOTE=deveandepot1;3214129]95% of Nordstrom Rack is crap, but there are always some hidden gems. Example: Robert Talbott OTC socks for $6.[/quote]

See any Robert Talbott OTC socks lately?
frown.gif

Mannix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've lucked out with a few things that were from the main Nordstrom stores...but by and large it's just bullsh*t there. They do, however, have great deals on Persol sunglasses almost every time I go to the one near me.

Bounder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by StopPolloition
There's a lot of stuff at the rack that is made or carried specifically for the rack.

Exactly. The same is true for Off 5th though it is not quite as bad as Nordstrom's Rack. I'm not sure about Last Call. They seem to have a much higher concentration of better stuff, though it is also hard to find really excellent deals. I have found the occasional amazing deal at Off 5th.

But there are more Off 5th stores than there are Saks 5th Ave. stores.

Think about it.

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the Rack is like most of the other places we bottom feed - 95% junk and 5% gems that the typical shopper doesn't even recognize. That just means that you need to swing through whenever you're in the area and check what's in stock without expectation but ready to drop some coin if opportunity strikes.

What I do like about them is that they have a pretty bombproof 30-day return policy, so it's always easy to buy something you might be on the fence about and just bring it back if it doesn't work out.

My experience is that the range and quality of the merch in each store can vary wildly. Although I have no confirmation of this, it would appear that stuff from the mainline store will often be dumped in a different market so that it doesn't dilute pricing structures.

For example, I've bought both Isaia and Zegna suits at deep discount (-$500) from "flash sales" where "a new shipment" arrives and the stuff is placed on racks right out on the floor instead of mixing it in with the other garments. Although clearly labeled from the regular store, I know that none of the mainline Nordies in the area carry anything remotely of that quality.

Deals like that might happen twice a year, so you just have to be on the lookout.

Recoil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The rack is good for undershirts and socks. I got a ShedRain umbrella at a decent discount. I see Allen Edmonds from time to time but they are always the big sizes and/or awful styles.

It's a disaster there.

bearsfan172

Reaction score
Like everyone else said... most of the stuff there is pretty much crap

Ocassionally there will be some pretty nice stuff to be had tho. Especially in shoes and jeans. The one by me constantly has Rock & Republic jeans for about $110

westinghouse

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buy some nice suits at Nordstrom and return them. They'll end up at the Rack in a few weeks where you can get them for half price.

Astan

Reaction score
It used to be pretty decent in my area but then it became "bro-central." Even the suits are not really that great anymore. Occassional HF, otherwise ******.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kingjames771