• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MGoCrimson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the Romaleos 3's. They look sleek and functional. My head was swerving when noticing them on foot at the gym, trying to ID them. Would it look off if I rarely OLY lift? I may do it occasionally, more with kettlebells (squats, lunges).

They wouldn't look off unless you're in a oly/powerlifting heavy gym but wearing them for everything would be uncomfortable and generally a poor choice for doing lifts other than oly/squats/standing OHP/benching.

the shah

OG Yamamoto
Reaction score
Just get chucks if you're barely even doing lifts that lifting shoes are marketed for. Or just do them in your gym socks....

clotheshorse69

Reaction score
Is the high top Blazer in red or blue a versatile shoe, say with jeans and a tshirt/sweats and a hoody/moto jacket, tshirt and black jeans? Is this a decent shoe?

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Chucks are unaesthetic, I think my eyes prefer Vans even

Yes I was considering just taking off shoes during OLY lifts.

But really I just want a new pair of gym shoes and looking for an excuse, will likely just get the Metcons.

Still wearing the first iteration of the Flyknit Racer.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chucks are unaesthetic, I think my eyes prefer Vans even

Yes I was considering just taking off shoes during OLY lifts.

But really I just want a new pair of gym shoes and looking for an excuse, will likely just get the Metcons.

Still wearing the first iteration of the Flyknit Racer.

Are you actually doing olympic lifts (clean and jerk)? In that case yes you should use olympic lifting shoes. If you are aiming for competitively high weight in squats, olympic lifting shoes may or may not help depending upon your anatomy.

However:
1. There is little point from a general fitness perspective in utilising olympic lifts, in my experience. The technique requirements are too burdensome in terms of actual strength/fitness gains. It's simply an inefficient use of time learning how to do them properly when you could just do squats, rows, deadlifts, pullups, and a whole range of other, more simple movements.

2. Olympic shoes may (or may not) help you squat more - however this is only useful if your goals are to squat more (i.e. you're a competitive lifter). If your goal is simply to get stronger, it doesn't matter what shoes you wear so long as they feel comfortable and don't make you lift with dangerous technique.

I don't wear olympic shoes when lifting. I don't want to make my technique reliant on having them. Even though I can lift slightly more weight with olympic shoes, this doesn't necessarily build my strength or muscles more, it just makes the lift very slightly more easy, mecahnically.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Without getting into RHET territory, my goals at this point is mainly aesthetics and balancing out my frame. I am naturally bottom heavy, so, even though I know I should probably do more compound lifts, I probably do squats/DL like once a week if any. I tried the clean and jerk but I cannot get the mechanics down to do it safely. I am injury prone so perfectly fine with the vanilla shoulder, chest, and arms workout. Appreciate the information, makes me miss the RHET a little but in all honesty I felt very counterproductive when visiting that thread. Aside from aesthetics and just trying to lift heavier, I find myself in a happy medium between knowing what to do for the day to having fun (pull ups mixed with other movements).

Yes the Romaleo's seem like an overkill, I sort of knew it from the start. They do look nice on feet though.

My bro does more compound lifts than I and Chuck's II seem to work just fine for him. They do look cleaner without the line across the midsole.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
You should get the romaleos and post them so we can laugh.

Classic chucks will always look better than any other version they come out with especially with baggy pants/sweats but you ain't a g either way so it don't matter.

failed on both and plan on going to march for our lives instead of lining up for fcfs releases.

:spew:

urbanwoodsman

Reaction score
@sinnedk They refused to retroactively adjust my transaction fee, so I lost some cash on 2 sales. But going forward they will make the adjustment. The shipping mishap seems to have resolved itself -- at least that's I think happened. I did a little research, and it seems others have had similar issues with StockX and UPS. Unfortunately, I can't speak to the consequences of these issues outside of my own. Shoes arrived, were authenticated, and I received my payout. I will use StockX again, but only when it's most convenient. Do beware, though, that they assume limited responsibility for issues.

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@urbanwoodsman @sinnedk I sold over 20 pairs on StockX and never had any issue. It was your fault to expect them to charge you lower fee when you were still not verified for higher tier. I am not defending them at all, but you should just wait a day or two for that 1 pair to arrive and be verified so they upgrade your status and then sell the next pairs. That is almost comparable to buying stuff at certain store to get gold membership and then expecting to get refunds for all the purchases back before you were the gold club member.

jmaudi0

Reaction score
The alternative is the Metcons, digging this colorway. Metcons might be a better choice for me I think. How has everyone's experience been like?

metcon-4-mens-cross-training-weightlifting-shoe-rJTGV0Vy.jpg

I have the Metcon 2's and wear them regularly for lifting and short runs (I don't really run more than 2miles...ever lolol). They are holding up well. Pretty comfortable...little hard in the sole but that's the point. Plus i think they look a lot better than the Nano's.

My only real critique is that they are so f'ing squeaky!!! The sole must rub inside somehow. They are noisy as hell. Maybe the newer models addressed this?

urbanwoodsman

Reaction score
@sussi Hear what you're saying, but respectfully disagree. It's not about when you ship the items. It's about when the item was sold. With that in mind, I'd have to wait until the first item that activates the lower transaction fee arrives at StockX for verification before selling another. Let's say I had sold 10 sneakers in that 2-day span. I'd still be in the same situation: with them refusing to retroactively refund some of the transaction fees. Also, your comparison to being a consumer at other companies doesn't really hold true, because most companies don't have the same business model and they likely would honor whatever the buy-more-to-upgrade membership if you've done your part.

sussi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@sussi Hear what you're saying, but respectfully disagree. It's not about when you ship the items. It's about when the item was sold. With that in mind, I'd have to wait until the first item that activates the lower transaction fee arrives at StockX for verification before selling another. Let's say I had sold 10 sneakers in that 2-day span. I'd still be in the same situation: with them refusing to retroactively refund some of the transaction fees. Also, your comparison to being a consumer at other companies doesn't really hold true, because most companies don't have the same business model and they likely would honor whatever the buy-more-to-upgrade membership if you've done your part.
you get upgraded to higher seller level as soon as the sneaker is verified and confirmed. There only matters when it was verified, not when it was sold. Unfortunately it takes more time. But I think most of the people understood that since the start. But I understand your point. But they protect themselves with that I guess.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads