• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • LuxeSwap Auctions will be ending soon!

LuxeSwap is the original consignor for Styleforum, and has weekly auctions that show the diversity of our community, with hundreds lof starting at $0.99 every week, ending starting at 5:30 Eastern Time. Please take the time to check them out here. You may find something that fits your wardrobe exactly

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Newcomer seeking advice for getting suit altered for first time

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am looking to get a suit altered for the first time.

My suit trousers are a little too tight and the suit jacket, though very comfortable across the shoulders, pulls tight when I try to button it .

I am going to take it to this alterations tailor (http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=56846) but want to be prepared. Are they likely to be able to make this suit fit me well? Will I need to be very specific in explaining what I need done or can I just say 'Please alter this suit so it fits me well.'? And can anyone estimate time and cost.

The suit is a OTR Cordings Navy Twill suit and seems to be very good quality so I am very keen to get it looking good. Any advice that you can give about getting a suit altered will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Take it to a reputable tailor & he/she will let you know whether they can make it work for you.

Newcomer

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am not seeking advice for getting suit alterations
smile.gif

But on serious note, although a tailor may be able to help, sometimes the best thing to do is not completely butcher it, and leave it the way it is. Is this an old suit or something? In addition, is it tighter due to a gaining of weight?

Lothar

Reaction score
You could probably tell them to make it fit you nice and they'll have a good idea on what to do to make it fit you well. It would look fitted and sharp, likely.

But they'll use pins to hold it in place first to let you try the suit on after they've 'temporarily' altered it to let you know about what it will look like after they sew it together. If you plan on using it for work, let them know that because work suits can typically have a pretty standard fitting.

As you try it on while the pins are in place, just tell them if you want anything brought in or out. Perhaps you'll want the chest a little tighter or the pants up a little higher. If they can't do what you request (a good tailor should be able to do just about anything) they'll tell you.

The price is determined by the skill land experience of the tailor and how much you want done and if you want something out of the ordinary that might take more time or effort, it may cost a bit more.

Just don't take it to a place like a Martinizing dry cleaners or anything to have it altered. Take it to a full-time tailor or perhaps a shop that sells suits - they will likely alter it as well.

Darnmor

Reaction score
Firstly, look at how much seam allowance is in you trouser (pants for the yank). Often a tailor will take it out no further then a half inch, due to a seam allowance needing to be left, but this all depends on how much material they have to play with.

Jackets are trickier due to lining and shape but the same principle applies.

Would you say your suit is as much as a whole size to small? If so it is unlikely it can be taken out this far, again, it all depends on how much material is left in the seam.

Your tailor may, nay, your tailor should ask you to put the suit on so that they can see where in needs altering, so remember to wear some nice under garments. If not, just let them know where abouts it feels too small.

If the suit can't be altered, can you? Some items of clothing are worth loosing a few pounds for.

Lothar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Darnmor
Your tailor may, nay, your tailor should ask you to put the suit on so that they can see where in needs altering, so remember to wear some nice under garments.

This is a good point.

Maybe take some shoes that you'll normally wear with the suit so the pant length is good. Also wear a button up shirt to see what it will look like.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you for replies so far. In honestly the suit does need to be altered due to weight gain. Am trying to lose the weight but in a sensible way (exercise and diet) rather than crash. I wanted to get one of my suits which is too tight altered now in case weight loss takes a while. Hope that does not stop SFers from providing advice. I doubt I am the only one in the situation.

I have tried on suits a size up but they are too big across the shoulder. I thought that if the shoulder fitted correctly then all else could be altered around that. Is that incorrect?

Hopefully this helps you answer my initial post.

Thank you again.

Darnmor

Reaction score
Clothing is much easier to take in then to take out.

Again there is a small problem with taking in. Take a jacket for example, suit of other, if you take the chest in the sleeves are pulled closer to the chest. Thus, if the sleeves were the right length to begin with, they may not be now.

I'd only recommend buying off the rack suits if you have an "˜off the rack' physique. I'm oddly shaped and unfortunately am unable to buy off the rack unless I mix and match trousers and jacket (that's not an option by the way). Tailored suits aren't necessarily as expensive as one might think. I once had a very expectable 2 piece rich wool suit made for under £400 (approximately $650 US in the current climate, at the time it was more like $500).

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
RTW suits should have suitable outlets to accomadate your weight gain.
the tailor will open up the lining from the bottom and can tell you in two minutes, how much he can let it out.
letting out a jacket and "trousers" up to 1 1/2" should not be a problem

Carl

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members