• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New Shell Cordovan Shoes and Heel Pain - Now Known as Haglund's Deformity

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Furo, I had haglunds and I had surgery in December of 2006 to correct the defmormity. Surgery was painful and the recovery was quite long. I could not touch the ground without some level of pain for 6 mos. afterwards. However, despite everything, I would do the surgery again in a heartbeat. Previously, I could not wear regular shoes because the pain had become so bad and slip on / loafers were completely out of the question. Slips ons require some heel pinch to stay on. Do not fear the surgery just make sure you get a compotent doc and you will be fine.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Burton
Furo, I had haglunds and I had surgery in December of 2006 to correct the defmormity. Surgery was painful and the recovery was quite long. I could not touch the ground without some level of pain for 6 mos. afterwards. However, despite everything, I would do the surgery again in a heartbeat. Previously, I could not wear regular shoes because the pain had become so bad and slip on / loafers were completely out of the question. Slips ons require some heel pinch to stay on. Do not fear the surgery just make sure you get a compotent doc and you will be fine.

Interesting, but good to hear your surgery went well.

I don't think my problem requires anything drastic yet, but I'm hoping I can fix it before that stage comes along.

Did your problem become progressively worse due to ignoring it for some time without treatment?

In other words, did you take steps prior to surgery that made it any better or worse?

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
Interesting, but good to hear your surgery went well.

I don't think my problem requires anything drastic yet, but I'm hoping I can fix it before that stage comes along.

Did your problem become progressively worse due to ignoring it for some time without treatment?

In other words, did you take steps prior to surgery that made it any better or worse?

No my problem was a congenital defect which Haglunds often is exacerbated by running and excercise. Haglunds will not go away on its own, however, you can position your foot in a shoe to alleviate the pain caused by the deformity and the inflamation it creates. I believe you will find that true Haglands requires surgery to eliminate. They slice off a nice big chunk of your bone and, in some cases, (where the achiles has been damaged) screw it down to secure it. The pain is quite exquisite.

Stax

Reaction score
I have six pair of Alden cordovan shoes, all Barre last, all double soled. I wear 9.5D, but there is always a bit of play in the heel when the shoes are brand new. It takes a few days for the double sole to break in and then the shoes always snug up perfectly. If the heels fit snug when they are new, I suspect they might snug up too much as the soles break in. I wonder if that happened in your case?

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stax
I have six pair of Alden cordovan shoes, all Barre last, all double soled. I wear 9.5D, but there is always a bit of play in the heel when the shoes are brand new. It takes a few days for the double sole to break in and then the shoes always snug up perfectly. If the heels fit snug when they are new, I suspect they might snug up too much as the soles break in. I wonder if that happened in your case?

They slipped a lot in the heels the very first day I wore them but then as you stated, seemed to fit much better the next few times. The day that caused all this pain was probably the 5th or 6th time I'd worn them (although never with that much distance walked in a single day).

I'm probably going to be waiting at least a couple months if not longer to try them again, and need to wait for the inflammation in the heel to go away. It's now starting to bother me even in running shoes when I do my boxing workout, so today I'm going to tape a cotton ball to the heel.

Here's an interesting answer I got from another forum that mentioned this bump on the heel:

Originally Posted by John L
My 'tip over' moment was a long flight last Christmas 2008. Took my dress shoes off of on the flight, my feet swelled up, put the shoes on at LAX, then spent the day walking and I ended up in the same situation with my left foot. Could not wear dress/work shoes for very long, started wearing sandal on left foot to work, that does not go over very well for long. Yes, you can run and work out (I wore 2 pairs of socks and got slightly larger tennis shoes) somewhat pain free, but it will never get better. Sorry to say, once you get it overly aggravated, it is too late. After struggling for another year I finally got the surgery in November - so far so good but the recovery is long. Better to get it done early as the smaller the bump, the less the Achilles is involved. I wish I would have had mine done years ago.

Burton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by furo
They slipped a lot in the heels the very first day I wore them but then as you stated, seemed to fit much better the next few times. The day that caused all this pain was probably the 5th or 6th time I'd worn them (although never with that much distance walked in a single day).

I'm probably going to be waiting at least a couple months if not longer to try them again, and need to wait for the inflammation in the heel to go away. It's now starting to bother me even in running shoes when I do my boxing workout, so today I'm going to tape a cotton ball to the heel.

Here's an interesting answer I got from another forum that mentioned this bump on the heel:

furo - I would say that is exactly my point above. Don't fear the surgery--better to get it done earlier rather than later. If you already are in pain it is likely to get worse. Get to a good ortho.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Burton
furo - I would say that is exactly my point above. Don't fear the surgery--better to get it done earlier rather than later. If you already are in pain it is likely to get worse. Get to a good ortho.

I saw the doc yesterday and he told me I'm not an ideal candidate for surgery based on the xray and diagnosis. He recommened a heel pad to let the inflammation die down, along with an anti-inflammatory he prescribed me.

So today I ordered this heel pad that can be washed and worn with any shoe. I'm hoping it helps since I am starting to feel some rubbing in my running shoes now when I do my boxing workouts. With any luck this pad might even allow me to wear dress shoes again while the healing process is taking place.

Stax

Reaction score
Wow, that's rough. You have my sympathies, sir. I hope it heals up for you.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This thread made me
frown.gif

Good Luck! I hope everything works out for you.

HarryLime

Reaction score
Furo, I wish you well. I had something similar a few years ago and was diagnosed by a podiatrist as having a heel spur. The surgery, as he described it, sounded horrendous and would have sidelined me from driving for a month or so. Anyway, it resolved after less than a year ( and after a steroid shot). In the meantime, I wore Rockports and softer Johnson & Murphys and Moscolonis and such and it wasn't too bad. Hang in there.

furo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HarryLime
Furo, I wish you well. I had something similar a few years ago and was diagnosed by a podiatrist as having a heel spur. The surgery, as he described it, sounded horrendous and would have sidelined me from driving for a month or so. Anyway, it resolved after less than a year ( and after a steroid shot). In the meantime, I wore Rockports and softer Johnson & Murphys and Moscolonis and such and it wasn't too bad. Hang in there.

I just spoke to a guy in the office yesterday who had a heel spur. He said it got so bad he couldn't walk. He also got the steroid shot and recovered very quickly.

For the time being I'm restricting my foot wear to the shoes that don't rub the heel on that spot, which mainly consists of my running shoes for boxing, and my Clark's for work.

Luckily I can see some of the swelling in the bursa sac starting to recede, so I'm optimistic about avoiding surgery
smile.gif

bananananana

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
bumping this b/c i might be experiencing the same problem. Wore some shells a few days and started getting pain in the back of my heel, more on the inner side, on my right foot. I'm wearing just regular calf shoes now and the problem seems to be oging away a bit, but still not 100% gone.

Furo, any updates? Did you get the surgery or has the pain gone away?

REguy

Reaction score
Bringing this back from the dead.

Anyone ever have success getting the heel counters in their shoes modified to accommodate their Haglund bumps? I'm sick of dealing with the pain/blisters, but want some solution other than surgery.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Bringing this back from the dead.
Anyone ever have success getting the heel counters in their shoes modified to accommodate their Haglund bumps? I'm sick of dealing with the pain/blisters, but want some solution other than surgery.

I don't have the bumps, but I do have a bit of heel pain when I walk in a particular pair of my Aldens for a long time. This only started to happen in recent months, and only with one pair - my cigar shell longwings.

NORE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently experienced this pain after wearing a pair of Carminas for an extended period of time. This was after they had already been worn a dozen times (shorter periods with less walking) with no discomfort. I believe it can happen with any shoe worn & walked in for a protracted period of time in one shot. Combine that with foot swelling and less than ideal socks and you could end up with blisters.

You may wish to try those donut looking inserts they sell for bunions. Worked wonders for me when I once had a bad sore spot from some ill-fitting shoes.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads