• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New RL coupon and private sale

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
What's the big deal if the half sockliner peels back? Just glue it back. It's cosmetic anyway? I've had it happen on some polo Italian lines and some bally shoes.
But does it not indicate poor workmanship or QC? (Or poor fit in other cases.)

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
it just means the manufacturer probably doesnt use a good glue (but indirectly that does fall in line with the quality of a certain manufacturer's product. if they use less quality cheap glue, they may be using cheap stuff somewhere else as well, 'tip of the iceberg' scenario) .

one shoe i just dropped a bit of super glue on the end of a q tip and rubbed it under the curled part and layed it flat and stayed down permanently.

sometimes, customers may have abused the shoe by trying on a shoe too small or something was sticky on their socks, pulling/curling back the sockliner when they pull their feet out. i see this on alot of shoes at the Nordstrom Rack.

also, the Rack puts stickers on the sockliner. once you peel off the sticker, it leaves a very sticky imprint. i usually wipe it off with alchohol, but if you dont, the sticky imprint sticks to your sock and when you pull out your feet that will also loosen the sockliner.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if there is a "cigar" color WAX polish specifically made for the Alden cigar-colored shell cordovans, like they do specifically for #8. If there is, this would probably be the safest bet for the brownish Polo Darltons.

I use #8 Alden wax polish on both of my Polo shell cordovan penny loafer and wingtips. The color is close enough. Trick is to use the bare minimum. As someone already said, the leather itself is saturated with wax as part of the dying process that had taken 6 months.

On average, I'll give each new shell cordovan shoe a very very light first polish prior to wear, then just brush after that. Also a very slightly dampened cloth to lightly buff. I rewax after about 15 wears. NONE of my shell shoes have been worn 15 times yet.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could you guys keep me posted on any sales, discount codes, etc. for RL stores for 8-9 December? I'm going to be in Phoenix, and would like to check out a purple label suit or sportcoat. Is it possible to find a retail suit at $2600, and get markdowns from there? Do the Saks or NM in Scottsdale carry a good selection of RLPL?

I guess this trip I will also have to check out Off 5th and NM last call, in Tempe on my way to Scottsdale.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't know if it applies to actual RL stores, but there is a code for 30% off for online purchases, good until Dec 10, I believe.

Code is "HOL2007"

saint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are all the leftover C&J for Polo on sale, or are there some models that aren't?

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is the Nilton captoe in black worth having for $258? My other options would be the C&J Audley and the Alden Hampton.

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The Nilton is a blucher, a very different shoe from the Audley, which is also probably a much nicer shoe, IMO.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
good point. that doesn't make me feel very smart.

Originally Posted by grimslade
The Nilton is a blucher, a very different shoe from the Audley, which is also probably a much nicer shoe, IMO.

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
What's the big deal if the half sockliner peels back? Just glue it back. It's cosmetic anyway?
This brings up another question in my mind. Is it possible, and if so desirable, to have a cobbler make well-fitted full sockliners for one's shoes?

If sockliners are merely cosmetic, why the difference between full and half liners? Or why sockliners at all in the first place?

What function does it serve?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1. Cosmetic, so the inside of the shoe looks as good as the outside.
2. Extra layer of leather, however thin, means more cushion and more absorption for sweaty feet

Sartorially Challenged

Reaction score
1. Cosmetic, so the inside of the shoe looks as good as the outside.
2. Extra layer of leather, however thin, means more cushion and more absorption for sweaty feet

I don't mean to be argumentative, but your two items strike me as oxymoronic.

alliswell

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You're assuming that cosmetic and functional are mutually exclusive. They're not, as any [name your favorite performance car] owner will tell you.

Originally Posted by Sartorially Challenged
I don't mean to be argumentative, but your two items strike me as oxymoronic.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 99 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 95 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads