• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New gap denim

EMY

Reaction score
Originally Posted by happyxix
Having never ventured into anything higher than Gap and Levis, how would this vanity sizing do for me when I will order something like 3sixteen?

All I know is that I wear 32/30 on both Gap (Straight fit) and Levis

My 32/30 is too big for me on Gap, but okay on Levis. Yours are the same size?

happyxix

Reaction score
Originally Posted by EMY
My 32/30 is too big for me on Gap, but okay on Levis. Yours are the same size?

Comparing the straight fit of Gaps to the 501 yes they are the same size to me. Actually its mainly my thighs are too big or else I'd fit into a 31 in Gap and Levis as well. The 32 on both are able to fit my thighs so I'll just go for 32.

I'll take the measuring tape out one day if I can ever find it. I was just looking for more of a rule of thumb when ordering something more expensive.

leddytech

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dr Huh?
Are Gap jeans known for stretching a lot? I've been wearing a pair (not every day) for a couple of months now. They've only been washed once. They're 33x32, straight cut. I don't remember the specific name, just that they have "1969" written on them. Recently they started to feel too big on me. I've been quite sick recently, so it's possible I've lost weight, but I decided to measure them with a measuring tape. I measured from the button to button whole and it measured 37 inches. That seems like a big difference in size. Would they have stretched that much, or does the Gap have wonky sizing?
Are you referring to any Gap jeans, or specifically the selvedge Gap jeans? I think everyone in this thread said that Gap selvedge jeans were vanity sized, and suggested you size down one from your true size when buying. I went through this entire thread before deciding to purchase the their selvedge, and most people say the Gap selvedge jeans will stretch a little bit in the waistband, approx 1-2 inches in the waistband... while some say they will not stretch. Then I think roughly half of the people say the selvedge jeans will stretch a little in the thigh, while approx the other half said they wont. With such conflicting statements, who really knows? Maybe it stretches or not depending on when the jeans were manufactured, the fit of the jean, how tight the jeans were on the people and if they were really making an effort to move around and what not? Perhaps different shipments used slightly different fabric or maybe some fabric shipments werent preshrunken completely? I did purchase a pair of brand new Gap Straight Fit selvedge earlier this week at a store, in size 31/32. I buttoned them up, and measured the waistband from the inside and it was approx 34inches, give or take 1/4th of an inch. I havent washed them and only tried them on once to see how well they fit. Hope that info helps ya.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by leddytech
Are you referring to any Gap jeans, or specifically the selvedge Gap jeans? I think everyone in this thread said that Gap selvedge jeans were vanity sized, and suggested you size down one from your true size when buying.

I went through this entire thread before deciding to purchase the their selvedge, and most people say the Gap selvedge jeans will stretch a little bit in the waistband, approx 1-2 inches in the waistband... while some say they will not stretch. Then I think roughly half of the people say the selvedge jeans will stretch a little in the thigh, while approx the other half said they wont. With such conflicting statements, who really knows? Maybe it stretches or not depending on when the jeans were manufactured, the fit of the jean, how tight the jeans were on the people and if they were really making an effort to move around and what not? Perhaps different shipments used slightly different fabric or maybe some fabric shipments werent preshrunken completely?

I did purchase a pair of brand new Gap Straight Fit selvedge earlier this week at a store, in size 31/32. I buttoned them up, and measured the waistband from the inside and it was approx 34inches, give or take 1/4th of an inch. I havent washed them and only tried them on once to see how well they fit. Hope that info helps ya.

I guess I'm talking about any Gap jeans. Mine aren't selvage. I just know that they stretched a lot. So with Gap jeans, must you always size down? Jeans tend to fit tighter the first time you try them on, so it can be tricky finding a pair that genuinely fit.

thunderthighs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by leddytech
I went through this entire thread before deciding to purchase the their selvedge, and most people say the Gap selvedge jeans will stretch a little bit in the waistband, approx 1-2 inches in the waistband... while some say they will not stretch. Then I think roughly half of the people say the selvedge jeans will stretch a little in the thigh, while approx the other half said they wont. With such conflicting statements, who really knows? Maybe it stretches or not depending on when the jeans were manufactured, the fit of the jean, how tight the jeans were on the people and if they were really making an effort to move around and what not? Perhaps different shipments used slightly different fabric or maybe some fabric shipments werent preshrunken completely?

I probably would have been more helpful if I had mentioned that I always wear a belt with jeans. I also should clarify that I didn't say that my Gaps didn't stretch at all in the thigh or elsewhere, just that they didn't stretch (or shrink) so much as to break the fit for me. The difference in thigh measurement in my now 3-month old daily wear Authentic 32x32 and the brand new identical pair hanging in the closet is only about 0.25".

In my opinion Gap selvage jeans should be purchased just barely snug in the hips and thighs, but no more than that. If you're worried that the buttons are going to pop then you've probably sized down too far and will end up with jeans that are either uncomfortably tight or outright busted at the seams.

bellyhungry

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ordered a pair of straight fit Gap selvedge for Canadian $27 ($45 less 40%) today.

For $27, I figure it's worth a try.

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
o rly?
tumblr_liu4qezCFG1qdbn9do1_500.jpg

Cheese1

Reaction score
Mikey are those the older ones? The ones talked about earlier in the thread apparently faded well, the ones that are out now are pretty suspect...

office drone

Reaction score
^SRSLY? Maybe the selvage jeans from a year or two ago and more newer models are made from completely different denim, and don't fade at all. I have a pair that's only 2 months old, but they don't appear to show any signs of fading.

bosatlbwi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Cheese1
Mikey are those the older ones? The ones talked about earlier in the thread apparently faded well, the ones that are out now are pretty suspect...

umm, I'm not sure. I saw them on itsworn.com. I think it said they were from '07, so yeah that would be the old ones.

El Argentino

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I gave my friend a pair of '10s (in the Straight) that ended up too big for me. He hasn't washed since I passed them along almost a year ago, but his fades and wear are getting pretty noticeable. I'll see if I can get pics after he ends up washing them.

Gotta give him credit - he's no denimhead, but I told him not to wash for a year, and he's done so.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads