• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

New gap denim

gregaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I also have a pair of Authentic Selvage, and really like them. I like the higher rise - it fits me better than the low rise jeans, which make my underwear hang out in the back, or give me major moose knuckle when worn with a belt.

Also, Authentics are on sale for $69.99 right now, and Gap is emailing out their Give and Get 30% coupons for the sale on March 17-20. I am hoping they remain on sale, and if so, will pick up another pair with the coupon.

Jr Mouse

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gregaz
I also have a pair of Authentic Selvage, and really like them. I like the higher rise - it fits me better than the low rise jeans, which make my underwear hang out in the back, or give me major moose knuckle when worn with a belt.

Also, Authentics are on sale for $69.99 right now, and Gap is emailing out their Give and Get 30% coupons for the sale on March 17-20. I am hoping they remain on sale, and if so, will pick up another pair with the coupon.

Authentic is a nice fit.

That's really my point. These are inexpensive selvedge jeans in a good cut and clean wash. They are a good deal. You can't compare them to something like N&F or Left Field because those are double the price and raws.

INeedSpeed

Reaction score
How did you guys with Authentic Fits size yours? I went to a Gap to try some jeans on, but they didn't have the Authentic Fits. The Skinny and Straight fits I tried on were 1 to 2 inches bigger than marked.

rosslovethreads

Reaction score
i bought these jeans in store. i got lucky and my store had a pair in my size that someone had ordered online and returned. def size down atleast one size. i sized down two. these are super super similar to apc imo.
only downside.. i just recently had the outseam blow out around the knee area. i think a few other people have had this issue. luckily the guy at gap was cool enough to give me a gap gift card so i could order a pair online.

totally worth 90

thunderthighs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by T0nyPr0
Yup no authentic it's now standard should fit the same.
This is not true. Authentic was the fit in between Straight and Standard but has been discontinued in favor of a new cut called "Slim Boot" (which is nothing like Authentic). Standard is roomier through the leg than Authentic with otherwise a similar top block. Thighs and hems of my Straight, Authentic, and Standard, all current selvage in 32x32, are 12.25/12.5/12.75 and 8.25/8.5/9 inches respectively.

thunderthighs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by INeedSpeed
How did you guys with Authentic Fits size yours? I went to a Gap to try some jeans on, but they didn't have the Authentic Fits. The Skinny and Straight fits I tried on were 1 to 2 inches bigger than marked.
Size down one at the most, but I would recommend going true to size. They do shrink, and are fairly resistant to stretching. Besides, these aren't built to handle extreme downsizing. You'll probably blow a seam or two, most likely around the knees. Selvage Gap jeans come cuffed, and their tagged inseam is accurate taking into account pre-wash and the cuff. After one hot wash and hot dry, losing the cuff, and allowing honeycombs to form, the inseams on my tagged 32x32's are 32.5". EDIT: Updated recommendations after 6 or so months of wear.

happyxix

Reaction score
Having never ventured into anything higher than Gap and Levis, how would this vanity sizing do for me when I will order something like 3sixteen?

All I know is that I wear 32/30 on both Gap (Straight fit) and Levis

Chucks29

Reaction score
this is my first post in this forum after lurking here as a guest for awhile.

Just want to share in regards to the skinny selvedge from Gap.
Got mine for one and half months now.
I actually size down 3 on this.
My tag is 29 but after measuring the width, it is 16" which is about 32".
Been wearing it probably 4 days a week. Whiskers and honeycombs are starting to form now.

wrathletik

Reaction score
Got some authentics like a week ago in the dark wash selvage. They were final sale but for 25 bucks, I'm not complaining.

TheDroog

Reaction score
I like the high rise and slim fit of the Authentics, so I'm pretty bummed that they're being discontinued.

Here's my question: Are there any other brands out there that have a similar fit (ie. high rise and slim fit through thighs and calves)? It doesn't have to be selvedge, what I really care about is the overall fit.

thunderthighs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheDroog
I like the high rise and slim fit of the Authentics, so I'm pretty bummed that they're being discontinued. Here's my question: Are there any other brands out there that have a similar fit (ie. high rise and slim fit through thighs and calves)? It doesn't have to be selvedge, what I really care about is the overall fit.
Same, which is why I have 3 pairs of Authentic on hand so I'm set with these for a bit. However, I have found that sizing up one in the Straight from your Authentic tagged waist size results in a very similar fit. In my case specifically, I noticed quite a jump in rise from 32x32 to 33x32 Straights such that I feel very little difference between the latter and 32x32 Authentic.

Johdus Fanfoozal

Reaction score
Just cold-washed and air dried straight selvedge after four months of regular wear. Mofos shrunk. Waist is the same. But inseam down by 1/2 in to an inch.

Dr Huh?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are Gap jeans known for stretching a lot? I've been wearing a pair (not every day) for a couple of months now. They've only been washed once. They're 33x32, straight cut. I don't remember the specific name, just that they have "1969" written on them. Recently they started to feel too big on me. I've been quite sick recently, so it's possible I've lost weight, but I decided to measure them with a measuring tape. I measured from the button to button whole and it measured 37 inches. That seems like a big difference in size. Would they have stretched that much, or does the Gap have wonky sizing?

thunderthighs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johdus Fanfoozal
Just cold-washed and air dried straight selvedge after four months of regular wear. Mofos shrunk. Waist is the same. But inseam down by 1/2 in to an inch.

That's not surprising for a first wash of sanforized denim. But if such a small amount of shrinkage breaks your fit, it's not that hard to just stand on the top block and pull on the legs a bit while damp to get the original length back.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads